Likely culprits of a sudden shifting problem?

grette

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
Hello! I have a 2005 Passat wagon here that sat still for about a month. Then I drove it extensively for a couple days, and it was perfect. Now, suddenly, it sounds like what's happening is that it can't get into 3rd gear- like it revs crazy high in 2nd until it can finally jump into 4th. Obviously it's an automatic, but that's the best way I can describe it.
VCDS didn't find any transmission faults.
I've been reading a lot of threads on here about common transmission issues in the B5 Passat- if it is a failing transmission, the kind of repair/replacement prices I've seen quoted here are more than I can spend on this car. I'm hoping for any better ideas of what I might be in for, whether that's "yes, definitely, your transmission is toast, either put it on craigslist or go find $6k" or "actually there's still a chance it might just be this weird solenoid thing."
I found an article about resetting the transmission's adaptive settings. Has anyone done this? (Is it a real thing?) I just inherited this car from my dad; he drove like every drive was a touring car race. I drive like there's a wobbly dog standing in the back. Maybe the car is confused?
I know he did some version of the sports mode coding. I figured I'd try to undo it this weekend, just to see what happens.
Thank you for any help!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the TCM has no DTCs, then next I would watch the data and see what gear it is in, or at least what gear it THINKS it is in. I'd also see if each gear is selectable as normal in the Tip mode.

Not much to go on here, usually the OBD is pretty good on these, but you may have some strange situation where it just isn't flagging anything yet. And of course, check the fluid level.

I have mine soft coded to 1134, which helps shift mapping a lot. But that may not be here or there.

gmar8099

TDI
2005 VW Passat TDI GLS Wagon
@oilhammer can you describe what this means? "soft coded to 1134" Is it possible to alter the transmission shifting with VCDS?

OP, hope this is not hijacking your thread.

GM

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some VAG TCMs allow for a soft coding change, depends on the specific model. The OP's Passat has a 5sp ZF transmission that shares absolutely nothing with your Jetta's DSG, however.

gmar8099

TDI
2005 VW Passat TDI GLS Wagon
Hey @oilhammer I just saw your response here. My profile doesn't list my current TDI. My car is a 2005 Passat TDI wagon with the ZF auto trans. Would you be willing to share more about any possible tweaks to shift mapping on this model?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,