Leak in front passenger headliner

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Guys, we were gone for a few weeks and got home yesterday. My 2013 Jetta sport wagon has been sitting in the driveway for a month. It’s been raining a lot this morning and today. I just got in the car to do some errands. I had water leaking out around a small light near front passenger headliner (just above sun visor) It has a sunroof but I’ve never used it. What can be causing this? And what is the repair require? Thanks for any helpful advice! I’m not sure how to post photos here

Last edited:

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
@hangman : Photos need to attached by URL from another service. I upload JPG or PNG image file to one of my Google Drive accounts and link from there. The forums over at vwvortex.com let us upload images directly to the site for use in a post. BTW, we don't have a pano sunroof in our GOV/JSW, so I can't comment on that part of your post. --g

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The sunroof drains are clogged. Search forums for details on the solution, short answer is to feed grass trimmer line down the drains, and/or remove
the front A Pillar trim to disconnect the drain as it passes through the firewall (have towels ready to catch a lot of water). Then clean the connection through the firewall and the drain tubes.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
The sunroof drains are clogged. Search forums for details on the solution, short answer is to feed grass trimmer line down the drains, and/or remove
the front A Pillar trim to disconnect the drain as it passes through the firewall (have towels ready to catch a lot of water). Then clean the connection through the firewall and the drain tubes.
How can the drains be clogged when I never used this panoramic sunroof?

does anyone have a diagram showing where these drain lines come out on a 2013 Jetta sport wagon?

I did a little more research and I found out that there’s a class action lawsuit on some of these vehicles. It has something to do with a crack in the frame where the sunroof meets the sheet metal around the roof. Like I said I’ve never used this panoramic sunroof. So how can the lines get clogged?

we were down in Florida for a month due to my fiancé‘s elderly parents and their health problems. The car just sat in the driveway. When I got out this morning I just had to drive a couple miles into town. When I started the car that’s when I saw the water dripping down in the front passenger headliner behind the sunvisor.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I did a little more research and I found out that there’s a class action lawsuit on some of these vehicles. It has something to do with a crack in the frame where the sunroof meets the sheet metal around the roof.
Can you attach a link?

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
I also have a JSW, had the same sunroof leakage problem. I never had a car with a sunroof before, and didn't realize that(at least vw ones) sunroofs aren't waterproof- they leak water and drain it out. okay. I did everything possible to clean the drains, snipped the nipples, checked the tube seals at the tops of the sunroof, flushed with liters of water to check function, and... found that the sunroof still leaked water into the car when parked at an angle.

F***&^%$K!

I taped the whole sunroof shut with clear gorilla tape, looks pretty good and stopped the persistent creaking problem from before. it is impossible to make these sunroofs leak-proof without just sealing them shut.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Unfortunately the Ca. filed class action seems to only cover
  • 2016-Present Audi A1 Mk2;
  • 2016-Present Audi A3 Mk3;
  • 2016-Present Audi TT Mk3;
  • 2016-Present Audi Q2;
  • 2016-Present Audi Q3;
  • 2016-Present Volkswagen Arteon;
  • 2016-Present Volkswagen Atlas/Teramont;
  • 2016-Present Volkswagen Golf;
  • 2016-Present Volkswagen Jetta;
  • 2016-Present Volkswagen Passat;
  • 2016-Present Volkswagen Polo;
  • 2016-Present Volkswagen Tiguan;
  • 2016-Present Volkswagen Touran; and
  • 2016-Present Volkswagen Touareg.
The N.Y. class action seems o only cover
  • 2016-Present Audi Q2;
  • 2016-Present Audi Q3;

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I also have a JSW, had the same sunroof leakage problem. I never had a car with a sunroof before, and didn't realize that(at least vw ones) sunroofs aren't waterproof- they leak water and drain it out. okay. I did everything possible to clean the drains, snipped the nipples, checked the tube seals at the tops of the sunroof, flushed with liters of water to check function, and... found that the sunroof still leaked water into the car when parked at an angle.

F***&^%$K!

I taped the whole sunroof shut with clear gorilla tape, looks pretty good and stopped the persistent creaking problem from before. it is impossible to make these sunroofs leak-proof without just sealing them shut.
Ive had many sunroofs. Not one had issue until this pano. Even a B5.5 Passat (never leaked and was easy to clear the little clogging rubber ends). I wouldnt fear other sunroofs necessarily.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Unfortunately the Ca. filed class action seems to only cover
  • 2016-Present Audi Q2;
  • 2016-Present Audi Q3;
The N.Y. class action seems o only cover
  • 2016-Present Audi Q2;
  • 2016-Present Audi Q3;
The text in the overview said anything from 2012 onward.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Once again does anyone have a diagram showing the front drainage tube area? Where does it exit out?
2013 Jetta SportWagen

once again I cannot Fathom how it can get clogged when I never used the panoramic sunroof. Am I missing something?

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
Once again does anyone have a diagram showing the front drainage tube area? Where does it exit out?
2013 Jetta SportWagen

once again I cannot Fathom how it can get clogged when I never used the panoramic sunroof. Am I missing something?
the drains exit at the base of the a-pillars, under the hood. you can see (most of) the tubes if you remove the interior trim from the a-pillars.

the sunroof is designed to leak, albeit into the drain tubes. it's not water tight to the body aperture, only to the interior. if you have never opened it, this is part of the problem. you should open it and clean out all the garbage that will be accumulated under the glass and snake the drain tubes with weed whacker line. unfortunately, to do the full service, you will need to partially drop the headliner. a lot of hate on the pano around these parts, but i love mine and enjoy it every day this time of year.

there is a METRIC TON of info on this very common problem right here on this site. good luck :)

Last edited:

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Youtube the problem lots of videos. I never use my sunroof and had the same problem as stated they get debris in them and clog up.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I don’t want to take this thing apart if I don’t have to. I’m going to open it up and clean it out. Then snake it with the Weedwhacker line and see where it comes out.

So I’m basically assuming you guys are saying if this thing exits somewhere in the vicinity of the Windshield wiper cowl?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I don’t want to take this thing apart if I don’t have to. I’m going to open it up and clean it out. Then snake it with the Weedwhacker line and see where it comes out.

So I’m basically assuming you guys are saying if this thing exits somewhere in the vicinity of the Windshield wiper cowl?
The drains come out into the front cowl. Most of the time the rubber nipples get plugged. This causes the drain to overflow causing a leak into the cabin. Other times the coupler can leak. Many many threads on this. I cured mine by cutting the end of the nipple and snacking from the bottom. I had a whole bunch of black rotting crap in both tubes.
Their is a drain on each corner.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I looked it over and I found what I believe to be the drain hole at the edge of the sun roof. I got about 3 feet of weed whacker Floyd down true that hole. I lifted up the hood and I can’t see where this thing comes out. I will post a couple of links to the photos.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I can’t see anything that resembles an exit point with this rubber nipple that people are talking about. It’s about 40° on Long Island right now and we have a snowstorm supposed to be coming tonight. Like I said I got about 3 feet or a little more of that Weedwhacker line through that hole. But I’m not seeing any obvious exit point.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I was able to remove the rubber gasket and lift up the bottom of the Cowl. I started with the passenger side. There was a lot of leaves and acorns in there. Probably chipmunks. There is this removable foam insert on both sides the pads the hinge area on the hood. There is a loop in the middle which creates access for these rodents. Anyway I cleaned out all of the debris and I still can’t see any where the hose from the sunroof comes out

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
If it is the same as a golf you have to remove the wiper arms and remove the windshield cowling. I couldn't find information if the golf and wagen are different with respect to where they exit.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I’m not sure but the front panoramic roof drains might end up in behind the front wheel liner. Car on jackstands, remove wheels, remove liners, remove foam at back of wheel well. The drain ends might be up there. Good opportunity to clear out the crud at the front of the rocker panel which is probably starting to rust out the fender. Regular maintenance for me.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I looked it over and I found what I believe to be the drain hole at the edge of the sun roof. I got about 3 feet of weed whacker Floyd down true that hole. I lifted up the hood and I can’t see where this thing comes out. I will post a couple of links to the photos.
That black plastic piece that covers underneath your windshield wiper arms that is where your ECU is located but on either corner there is a little rubber nipple. They are quite hidden in there. It's also where your HVAC duct intakes outside air from.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I’m not sure but the front panoramic roof drains might end up in behind the front wheel liner. Car on jackstands, remove wheels, remove liners, remove foam at back of wheel well. The drain ends might be up there. Good opportunity to clear out the crud at the front of the rocker panel which is probably starting to rust out the fender. Regular maintenance for me.
The rear drains end up behind the wheel liners. The front ones dump into the cowl and then they drain to the wheel liners. At least on my Jetta sportwagon