kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Oh right - now that you mention your other side-project, I remember that the pairing process also writes the car's VIN to the cluster; so at the very least, that would have to get over-written as well. Given the 17 characters of the VIN, and it appearing at least a couple times in the EEPROM, going the VCDS route will certainly be easier (....well, until we see what your next/new app can do. :D ).
For what it's worth, I would just edit the dump manually in XVI32, but I think Greg's unreleased software option would end up being more useful.
Some of the niceties I have on my clusters are needle sweep, cruise control light on only when cruise control is activated, and you can change what's lit up on the cluster, regardless of how the light switch is turned to.

I don't think it's that simple, but give it a try and report back whether it worked or not.

I have another program I wrote that can toggle on/off a few of the cluster options as well as transfer the odometer, SKC, Immo ID, VIN and radio pairing from an old cluster to a new one, but I haven't made it publicly available yet.
Now you need a name for these tools. GregTools? GregSuite? Yeah, I'm not that creative on naming things.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
For what it's worth, I would just edit the dump manually in XVI32,
Yeah - that's what I've been doing. I'm a Mac guy, though, so my go-to is iHex.app.

Definitely interested in GregModder™ v2.0 has in store as well. :)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yeah - that's what I've been doing. I'm a Mac guy, though, so my go-to is iHex.app.

Definitely interested in GregModder™ v2.0 has in store as well. :)
GregModder is catchy. I guess it's up to Greg to choose a name though, right?

What's iHex? I'm technically a UNIX guy, but never cared much for Macs.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd googled what VXI32 was and saw that it was hex editor; iHex is just same thing for macOS (available on the Mac App Store).

Last edited:

bereczd

TDI
Passat 3BG Variant
Hi Guys, I ran into a problem while modifying my CCM Eeprom dump. I wanted to do the trunk "pops out" coding but if i modified the addresses, i couldn't open the trunk when the doors were unlocked, I could open it only with the FOB key and the interior switch. I wrote back the values and the trunk is fine. But... If I open the trunk, the display shows, that every door is open, except the hood and the driver's door. In the evening I noticed hat my interior lights are not working. Actually if I set the front dome light switch to 0 and I open a door, only my 2 rear lights are working. What could i miscode or what mistakes did I made to my CCM? Does anyone know the address for the interior lights? Hope I can get some help...:(
Thanks in advance.
David
B5.5 Variant 03'
1C0 959 799 B

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Hi Guys, I ran into a problem while modifying my CCM Eeprom dump. I wanted to do the trunk "pops out" coding but if i modified the addresses, i couldn't open the trunk when the doors were unlocked, I could open it only with the FOB key and the interior switch. I wrote back the values and the trunk is fine. But... If I open the trunk, the display shows, that every door is open, except the hood and the driver's door. In the evening I noticed hat my interior lights are not working. Actually if I set the front dome light switch to 0 and I open a door, only my 2 rear lights are working. What could i miscode or what mistakes did I made to my CCM? Does anyone know the address for the interior lights? Hope I can get some help...:(
Thanks in advance.
David
B5.5 Variant 03'
1C0 959 799 B
I know very little about the various CCM mods. You might want to try posting here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...ions-with-vds-pro.160960/page-19#post-3754759
It'd also be helpful if you could post exactly what commands you used to modify your CCM.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Agreed.
Probably get the best help if you say what you started with, what bytes you changed to what, etc.

Doing a "reset" on the CCM might help straighten things out - disconnect the negative battery terminal for a minute or so to let everything discharge. Plug it back in and see if that helps things out.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That being said Greg, if you don't have a disclaimer holding you harmless and the software being released AS-IS, I would suggest it.
Isn't that, at the very least, implicitly agreed to when a person downloads from GitHub?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
That being said Greg, if you don't have a disclaimer holding you harmless and the software being released AS-IS, I would suggest it.
The license is here: https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

MIT License

Copyright © 2020 Greg Menounos

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

bereczd

TDI
Passat 3BG Variant
Agreed.
Probably get the best help if you say what you started with, what bytes you changed to what, etc.

Doing a "reset" on the CCM might help straighten things out - disconnect the negative battery terminal for a minute or so to let everything discharge. Plug it back in and see if that helps things out.
Thanks for your reply.
So:
Address/Old value/New value
04361/67/66
04362/67/66
04363/67/66
04352/33/97
04353/33/97
04354/33/97
First I'll do a "reset" on it, and tomorrow I'll compare my values with a "healthy" CCM, hope I'll get some ideas.

bereczd

TDI
Passat 3BG Variant
Thanks for your reply.
So:
Address/Old value/New value
04361/67/66
04362/67/66
04363/67/66
04352/33/97
04353/33/97
04354/33/97
First I'll do a "reset" on it, and tomorrow I'll compare my values with a "healthy" CCM, hope I'll get some ideas.
Thanks @Nuje , surprising but I disconnected the battery, and every function works normally again.:)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Ha, I didn't know we could do @UserName on here to refer to other users. It'll take time getting used to this new forum software!

On a note related to this thread, @bereczd, I remember at some point seeing a table that listed what each bit did when we changed values in the CCM. I don't remember what my value is now, but I think it was also 66 originally (but I could be mistaken). I originally had a problem, by just copying what I found on tdiclub, where when my back hatch was open, the rear wiper would engage. I've since fixed it, though.

bereczd

TDI
Passat 3BG Variant
Ha, I didn't know we could do @UserName on here to refer to other users. It'll take time getting used to this new forum software!

On a note related to this thread, @bereczd, I remember at some point seeing a table that listed what each bit did when we changed values in the CCM. I don't remember what my value is now, but I think it was also 66 originally (but I could be mistaken). I originally had a problem, by just copying what I found on tdiclub, where when my back hatch was open, the rear wiper would engage. I've since fixed it, though.
Yes, I'm reading these forums for days now, I think I got the correct informations now. I'll give that a try again. Btw. I didn't have problems with my rear wiper,but I know it could've been confusing...:unsure:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks @Nuje , surprising but I disconnected the battery, and every function works normally again.:)
Always remember that these modules are really stupid, simple computers; sometimes a good reboot is the fix. :)

As for your coding issues, if you convert your original number to binary, you can see where you have ones and zeros.
e.g., 67 = 01000011

Earlier in this thread, @ekincaid took a spreadsheet I'd found (and loosely translated (Google) from another forum), fleshed it out a bit with examples using @gmenounos tool, and pdf'd it.

Here's the pdf'd sheet and his Excel sheet; quick screenshot below (click the image to embiggen):

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Thanks @Nuje . I guess that's the one thing I forgot to enable - windows up and down with the remote. Thanks for posting the PDF/excel spreadsheet. And I concur @ToxicDoc about this being stickied - since we now have a virus-free way to do vagtacho/VDS-Pro functions that works with modern computers, this should be a must-have along with VCDS for the enthusiast!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So far I've only used this for reading the skc on my car, but I would really like to have my hatch unlock when my doors are unlocked. If I understand correctly, I'd do this command
Code:
kw1281test.exe COM5 9600 46 WriteEeprom 04352 76
kw1281test.exe COM5 9600 46 WriteEeprom 04353 76
kw1281test.exe COM5 9600 46 WriteEeprom 04354 76
I would assume I would need to do those as separate commands? This would be on a 2001 golf btw

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You'd have to know what the current values are for addresses 04352, 04353, 04354.
If they're currently 200 (binary 11001000), then from the chart, that should change to 01001000 = 72

(Chart suggested 76 because one other bit was flipped to enable auto-unlock.)

I've seen all sorts of numbers for those addresses (not just 200): sometimes they were all 6, or 105, or 136, etc.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
You'd have to know what the current values are for addresses 04352, 04353, 04354.
If they're currently 200 (binary 11001000), then from the chart, that should change to 01001000 = 72

(Chart suggested 76 because one other bit was flipped to enable auto-unlock.)

I've seen all sorts of numbers for those addresses (not just 200): sometimes they were all 6, or 105, or 136, etc.
Ok, so I'll read those addresses and whatever is is, I change the bits in binary, then convert to decimal to write it into the ccm?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's my process. Of course, always take a photo or write down what you have initially so you have a way back.
(And make sure the car's battery is well-charged - having recently driven it should suffice; you don't want to be writing to a computer's memory with its power supply being flaky.)

bereczd

TDI
Passat 3BG Variant
So, it's me again.. trunk works perfectly now, but I have another thing to think about... When I unlock the car, or pull out the key from the igniton, the interior lights come up only for a moment and then go off. If I open a door, it lights up normally, but when i close the door it turns off immediately (does not remain like 10-15 seconds and not slowly goes out when the ingition is on).Does anyone know about something? Anyway, it's not a big problem for me, but i want to find the way to correct it, but at least it's special, not like the other cars, but interesting...😄

Mozambiquer

TDI
When I read the Eeprom, each spot had the same value, 255, or in binary 11111111
That doesn't make sense to me. I tried to modify and write the Eeprom, but it would not allow that either.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Something didn't work properly. 255 = FF in hex, which is basically the same as "empty".

Try it again, verify connection; verify you have sufficient voltage (+12.5V is recommended by Ross-Tech for reading and writing modules).

Mozambiquer

TDI
Something didn't work properly. 255 = FF in hex, which is basically the same as "empty".

Try it again, verify connection; verify you have sufficient voltage (+12.5V is recommended by Ross-Tech for reading and writing modules).
Interesting. I had plenty of voltage, and actually had a charger hooked up to make sure of that. I'll have to play a bit more with it tomorrow, since I've run out of time for today. I may try with the other computer as well.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
When I read the Eeprom, each spot had the same value, 255, or in binary 11111111
That doesn't make sense to me. I tried to modify and write the Eeprom, but it would not allow that either.
What is the part number of your CCM? If the part number starts with 1J0 then the above info might not apply to you as it's for 1C0 CCMs.

Mozambiquer

TDI
What is the part number of your CCM? If the part number starts with 1J0 then the above info might not apply to you as it's for 1C0 CCMs.
I'll check that tomorrow. Is there a different procedure for the 1jo CCM, or will it not work at all?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I'll check that tomorrow. Is there a different procedure for the 1jo CCM, or will it not work at all?
It's probably a different address and/or value for 1J0 CCMs. Both of my cars have 1J0 CCMs and I've only done the window mod. I'd love to find out details of the hatch unlock mod for both.

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
It's probably a different address and/or value for 1J0 CCMs. Both of my cars have 1J0 CCMs and I've only done the window mod. I'd love to find out details of the hatch unlock mod for both.
Hey There. Just used your software for the first time tonight on my cousins 2004 GLI 24v VR and was able to write the comfort windows via keyfob coding to his 1C0 CCM. I still have to try pulling his SKU from his cluster (since he needs another key).

As for your requested 1J0 addresses for unlock hatch with doors, I believe it is located at:

J: 04283, 04288, 04293: Bit 7 (1=Off, 0=On)
AJ/AH: 04280, 04286, 04292: Bit 7 (1=Off, 0=On)

Neither are confirmed but might be a good start. I've been building a large excel file with known bits but I have not been able to confirm anything.

Anything else you want me to share with you that you can use to confirm on your 1J0 CCMs?