Keep the Snow Tires?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I moved from Maine to Arizona and still kept my studded snow tires. Even here they’re useful and I’d see people off the roads constantly due to all-season tires. All it takes is going off the road once and they’ll have paid for themselves. As to a jack, one came with the car, I’ve used just it before and it’s no different than changing a flat tire.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
If I put the winter tires on in December or January, can you drive alright with them on dry pavement? We never know when a snowstorm might hit.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
CO is very sunny, and 80-90% of the time the roads are clear. My commute is 98 miles RT.

I mount my studded tires before November, and take them off near the end of April. Besides the noise of the studs, the handle very well on dry and wet pavement.

I think the biggest hit to winter tires is driving them on hot pavement. Cold road temps really help keep their life even when the pavement is dry.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
Oh, the days of past when you could see sparks from studs on dry pavement are long gone.

The new technology has an air cushion behind the stud that allows it to “grip” the surface at just the right depth. They no longer feels like ice skates on dry pavement like they did in the 80’s

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I’ve never driven with studded tires, but I’ll bet it’s a lot of fun. You can pretty much drive through anything, right?

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
I’ve driven up to 8” unplowed in both my B5.5 and both my ALH’s. 35 miles plus Telluride to Ridgway. I’ve passed 19 cars and 2 semis on 2-lane hwy black ice. I’ve been passed by a Subaru drifting the snow corners.

I drove the pass through Heber UT on my way to park city during a massive storm. I drove the unplowed passing lane, must have gone around 100 cars. A Ford tremor F-250 CC SB cut me off, so I went around him on the right. He could not keep up.

I regularly pass snowplows (I guess that’s illegal in some states, it was common in SD and rural CO) and I’ve gone around highway patrol. I’ve watched and counted 20+ cars go off the road on I-76 in eastern CO.

On snoqualmie pass I’ve been stopped by WHP next to a person who put chains on the turn tires of a 2wd budget rental truck instead of the drive tires.

I somehow made it up a hill in 14”+ at 10k’ of elevation where a new diesel crew cab with factory tires could not. He was pissed, I helped him and we made it up in 4-low. I would not let my wife and kids ride with me on that hill. I had to South Dakota that one.

Ive been in the ditch a few times over the years, but never with studs. I was stuck one time and started digging, my shovel hit the top of a steel fence post 😳. Long day.

They literally make white knuckle situations comfortable. And many here have more experience than me. I’ve driven winters every year for over 30 years.

YouTube had interviews with Nokian engineers. His response, if your state or country allow studs, you should absolutely use them. To save money, I run 1 year behind on their technology. They are on Hakka-10’s. I run the 9’s.

They do not work in deep slush!!

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
There's a limit to what a little front wheel drive car can drive through, even with studded snow tires, but it makes them very capable, well at least till you can't push the snow anymore, or run out of suspension travel. They are a really soft compound so I try not to run them long after it starts warming up. Usually toss them on end of October and I'll run them till April ish. Few times I've taken them off in March. The last set that was on the Honda were easily 8 years old and still have 90%+ of the studs and arnt worn down much at all. It's had several winter road trips on them to the north Carolina from Pennsylvania as well. If they were the right size they would be getting used on my jetta or the wife's new car.

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
About how much would it cost to have a shop switch the regular tires with these?
Some shops (local non corporate) will store winter tires and do the swap... often for not much $$ or even kinda free for a regular customer when they are doing other scheduled MX....
Check the age of the winters...they can age out if the prior person didn't use the much but still look ok.
Similarly some winter tires with dual compounds can be very sticky for the first 50% of wear, and feel greasy on a warm day, but wear yo a more normal all season compound when worn..
Research your tires a bit...
In a mini I rand snows... really made the car fun in the snow (along the NH/Massachusetts state line around Nashua) but honestly unless you run summer only compound tires, a slightly aggressive all season will make many people happy unless you have a steep driveway or other specific reason (drive at off hours when plows might not be out, etc).

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
If I put the winter tires on in December or January, can you drive alright with them on dry pavement? We never know when a snowstorm might hit.
It's more about outside temperature...a week or so after Thanksgiving is a traditional swapping time for many till the first really warm day...some Snow tires wear rapidly above about 70 and can feel greasy, kinda like driving on a wet road on a warm day....
Depends on the tire...old tech snows vs newer....dual tread compounds, etc

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I’ve never driven with studded tires, but I’ll bet it’s a lot of fun. You can pretty much drive through anything, right?
Generally not legal and hard to hide in any areas...car tends to sound a bit like a tank, 😂
Great on ice, but they wear dien on bare pavement, so unless you are in an area with ice pack for the winter, modern snows that grip Ice work for most people

allan

TDI
current 2013 Audi Q7, 2015 Golf Sportwagen
I think the biggest hit to winter tires is driving them on hot pavement. Cold road temps really help keep their life even when the pavement is dry.
montannan working at les schwab just told me that it's not dry pavement that kills the studded/winter tires, but hot temps.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
montannan working at les schwab just told me that it's not dry pavement that kills the studded/winter tires, but hot temps.
This goes right along with my experience too.

My buddy left a set of blizzaks on through the summer, they didn’t make it through the season. They were NOT studded.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Blizzaks are great snow tires but they have a very soft compound that wears out quickly. I run them on my wagon here in Arizona but they are a holdover from Maine. I'd typically get 2 winters out of them before they were no longer fit for winter duty and I'd just leave them on the car until they were toast. It's part of the reason I switched to General Altimax Arctic (studded), because those had comparable (although not exactly as good) as the Blizzaks but I could get 3-4 winters out of them. I still have them here in Arizona on my daily driver for winter. Blizzaks are unique in that they almost telegraph when they're starting to break traction, so you can feel it in the tire with enough time to back off some. A friend pointed this out and I have not noticed that on another winter tire.