Just bought, initial maintenance recommendations/mods?

Sadams

TDI
Audi A3
Hey all,

Just purchased my first TDI, a 2011 A3 S-Line. It just rolled onto 100,000 miles and appears to be on schedule with the Audi recommended calendar, however I’d like to reach out to see if there are any initial recommendations for things I should check or verify are in good condition. Recently had the transmission serviced, oil change, EGR filter replacement and does have the paperwork for the VW exhaust recall. I’m aware I’ll need a new timing belt at 130k and a fuel filter replacement sometime in the future. Anything else I should take a look at before going crazy with it?

Additionally, I’ve seen a lot of stuff online about ECU and TCU tuning and would love to try and squeeze some more power out of it. Any recommendations for initial tuning work? I don’t mind mechanical changes, although I’ve seen recs for EGR/DPF deletes that will definitely fail the emissions inspection, however that’s something that can always be reversed right? Besides that, it’s bone stock so I’d love to see what people have done to improve theirs.

Also obv new to the forum so hello o/

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If it is still under the warranty, and you don't have a pile of cash in escrow to care for it, I'd leave any modifications until later.

You may at some point want to consider deleting the balance shaft assembly, up to you, but there have been a few CBEAs that have oil pump failures in the 100-150k mile range.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
You may at some point want to consider deleting the balance shaft assembly, up to you, but there have been a few CBEAs that have oil pump failures in the 100-150k mile range.
I had heard that Audi used a beefed up balance shaft assembly... had you heard anything along those lines?

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
@ 100k you should be thinking about shocks/struts/springs.
bushing inspection and replace as needed.

be familiar with the warranty and where you stand.
check your VIN on the official site.

i, personally (and some other members) have not had any problems with my malone tune and removing it when DPF/EGR warranty work was performed.
YMMV.

enjoy :)

ColoradoK

TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
I've got a 2012 A3 that I just took in for the 65K, and I was already leaking fluid from the rear struts, so that might be something to keep an eye out for. It just depends on what you want out of your car on whether you keep those stock, or go aftermarket for those sweet, sweet performance gains.