just a few questions... (not all stupid)

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
1) Does a Passat B4 (09.09.1994 TDI 90 HP - 1Z or AHU??) have an EGR valve or EGR system at all? If so where is it??!

2) I may consider installing a fixed tensioner for the serpentine belt as it is a much cheaper solution than replacing the badly designed automatic tensioner. Anything I should have in mind (including forgetting about it??!) ?

3) I had my intercooler off at 118.000 km for glueing and after that successful operation I noticed that it was very clean inside (almost as if it were new...). Could it be possible that by then the intake manifold could be very clean?

Car has been run for 110.000 km in Germany and then 24.000 km in Romania (Europe) using only the best diesel fuel I could find and quality oil.

Question 1) and 3) are related to "Should I have to clean my intercooler and intake manifold??!" and to "Should I have my EGR recalibrated IF I HAVE ONE??!"

Thanks for any input.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you have the EGR system (I doubt it), there will be a large round vacuum diaphram on the intake manifold. On the back side of the manifold where this vacuum diaphram is mounted there will be a pipe attached coming from the exhaust manifold. This is where the gas recirc. takes place. If you dont have this valve assembly then you dont have EGR and I really doubt that you have it.

I'd stick with the stock tensioner, only unless you have a OE replacement designed to work with the diesel, otherwise I wouldn't do it.

About the intercooler, was it oily inside? Even if you dont have EGR, you'll probably have CCV which reroutes crank case vapor back into the combustion chamber via a port upstream of the turbo. The result is that all the intake pipes get oily, including the intercooler. If the intercooler was cracked then if any oil got into the intercooler it may have been forced out, if the crack were on the bottom.

hope this helps

steve a

good luck

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
Well I admit the crack was at the bottom in the intercooler so probably that explains it...
Well I do have CCV but it seems that I don't have the EGR at all..

Why do you say that I should stick to the OE tensioner knowing that it is the serpentine belt not the TB so it is not that critical....

Ok, TNX!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Your manifold may be squeaky clean.. Our fuel in the USA here kind of sucks. When it burns, it leaves a lot of small matter that gets recirculated back through the intake system. You living in Europe may be benefiting from ultra low sulfur fuel, thereby allowing the EGR system to work as intended.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Euro-spec 1Z and AHU engines do not have EGR valves, they actually show pics of them in the Bentley manual. Lucky folks!

lesd

Veteran Member
I've been to Romania, and let me tell you, the last thing on their minds is low sulfur in the fuel! The country is so poor that most of the kids I met on a youth trip I was on had visable holes in their teeth. Nicest kids I've ever met, I might add. There are zero polution controls, and one town I was at had a fertilizer plant with a huge smoke stack speewing yellow bad smelling junk out of it for miles. The whole towns air was stinky.
Wonderful place for some adventure.
-Les

Originally posted by dzcad90:
Your manifold may be squeaky clean.. Our fuel in the USA here kind of sucks. When it burns, it leaves a lot of small matter that gets recirculated back through the intake system. You living in Europe may be benefiting from ultra low sulfur fuel, thereby allowing the EGR system to work as intended.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
It should be relativly easy to check your manifold. Just disconnect the intake tube at the manifold inlet, move it aside and look into the manifold with a flashlight (torch?). If it's dirty you will see it.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Here's a photo I took of my CCV years ago. The EGR is just "north" or the "new clamp" that's in the 12 o'clock position. If you don't have this round device, you don't have an EGR.