Jetta Battery Issues

PounDDer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI
I put in a deep cycle battery about 2 months ago. Battery still dying, so I replaced the alternator. I am still having this issue where I drive the car and the battery will die while driving!

Any ideas?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Put the correct battery in it and see what happens. Take a trip to your friendly VW stealer and buy one.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Get a Vag-Com and see if your alternator is actually charging.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I'm not a battery expert but basically you are not giving the battery time enough to recharge if you are running short trips,proper battery for these cars is high ah rating with high cca's and reserve capacity.

Ihave this one in both my TDI's
MEGA-TRON PLUS - 85 MONTHS - 700 CCAThis is one of the most powerful batteries in the industry, with one of the longest warranties in the business. With Silver Calcium alloy, it has 22% more life! With up to 880 cold cranking amps and a guaranteed warranty, this line of batteries will fit your passenger car needs.

Price Range: $124.95 - $148.95Please enter a ZIP/Postal code below:

Available In Stores Only!
CALL TOLL FREE 888-772-3600 (M-F 8am-5pm CST)

$135 taxes in at dealer

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Deep cycle batteries do NOT survive the 14.2 volt charging system which is set by the regulator. Then they also have issues with high current draw for the size that will fit in the compartment.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Deep cycles are not suitable for tdi starting. But they can handle 14.2 charging. In fact absorption phase should be around 14.5, depending on who you talk to.

But using a deep cycle should have no effect on car stalling when driving.

A deep cycle could cause sluggish cold starts and the battery itself may not last long, but once started, car should run fine.

Charging system needs to be checked. This can be done with a simple digital volt meter on battery posts with engine running. Should be around 14.2. Add load with headlights, defogger and cabin fan on high. Should still be above 14.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Hey cool, a battery thread. Hi Jason, How's it going.

Hey, you could also put clamp on ammeter on the positive lead with the key out of the car and see if there is a drain somewhere. After that, put the same ammeter on the cable that runs from the alternator to under the batter with the engine running and everything electrical turned on at once and see if you're getting the proper amperage.

Hmmm, all of this is familiar...

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
FL2AK-tdi said:
Hey cool, a battery thread. Hi Jason, How's it going.

Hey, you could also put clamp on ammeter on the positive lead with the key out of the car and see if there is a drain somewhere. After that, put the same ammeter on the cable that runs from the alternator to under the batter with the engine running and everything electrical turned on at once and see if you're getting the proper amperage.

Hmmm, all of this is familiar...
Fancy that, seeing you in here

VDUB TECH

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI , Audi TT TDI Q , 2013 Touareg TDI , 2006 Jetta TDI
Id say you might want to check the little blue wire at the connector on the starter bracket.Ahead of the plug and to the other side.You will find it is broken somewhere near the plug

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
FL2AK-tdi said:
LOL.

Now all we need is to see Burpod come in here all pissed and insult me, lol.
don't you have brake fluid to be worrying about rather than infecting someone elses battery thred fail with more fail?> :p

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
burpod said:
don't you have brake fluid to be worrying about rather than infecting someone elses battery thred fail with more fail?> :p
Now see, THAT was funny.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
LurkerMike said:
LOL. no. =) Let's just move along...I really shouldn't have started a tit for tat anyway; the right thing for me would have been to let it go. Besides, I know you, I'm sure that you're capable of finding them. LOL

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
FL2AK-tdi said:
LOL. no. =) Let's just move along...I really shouldn't have started a tit for tat anyway; the right thing for me would have been to let it go. Besides, I know you, I'm sure that you're capable of finding them. LOL
how does that feel? :p