Is there such a thing?

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Do you mean only SVO and WVO, no diesel? That might be an Elsbett conversion, though they are not guaranteed on WVO.

If you include diesel, many can certainly run on WVO or SVO, as long as you start on diesel.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The only diff is that the "waste" oil needs purifying to remove solids, water, etc. Once that's done, then there is no difference in how they can be used. Read the sticky threads.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
osomphane said:
If WVO is purified, does that mean that you can mix SVO and WVO in a single fuel tank?
Can you clarify what you are asking?? What are you looking to do?

There isn't anyone on this site who will recommend putting WVO, SVO, or a mixture of the two in your stock diesel tank. Read up on Elsbet if you just have to have a single tank option. Otherwise if you have a quality two tank conversion, you could easily mix WVO and SVO all day long in the WVO tank.

Start here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269973

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
osomphane said:
If WVO is purified, does that mean that you can mix SVO and WVO in a single fuel tank?
The nature of this question suggests that you have no clue what you are getting into. READ THE STICKY THREADS.

"SVO" = "straight vegetable oil" = vegetable oil that has not been used for anything else
"WVO" = "waste vegetable oil" = stuff that started out as straight vegetable oil, but which was used for cooking and has outlived its usefulness in that application due to contaminants. A diesel engine doesn't like those contaminants, either. Water, dissolved solids, suspended solids, etc will all destroy modern diesel fuel systems if present in any significant amounts.

Both liquids have much higher viscosity (they are much "thicker") than standard diesel fuel. Both require special considerations in the fuel system to deal with the high viscosity. For that reason, neither can be used (with acceptable long term reliability in mind) in a standard unmodified modern diesel engine with high-pressure direct injection. So far as is known right now, neither are suitable for engines equipped with diesel particulate filters and de-NOx catalysts (i.e. 2009 onward common-rail engines).

As the previous poster noted, the nature of your question means WE need to know exactly what it is that YOU are trying to do before any useful replies can be given.

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
I was pondering the feasibility of a new project car that would utilize a modified alh engine and fuel system (single-tank). I know what wvo and svo are, but you are right, I haven't read through everything to find if they can be interchangeable with each other (assuming wvo is filtered)...

It appears that a dual-tank is recommended with one of the tanks used for diesel. However, if I want to burn wvo and svo together, would I need 3 tanks?

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
As simply as possible: properly prepared waste vegetable oil and straight vegetable oil are the same and can be co-mingled in any ratio.
WVO requires additional purification steps BEFORE it is added to a two tank system, or to a one tank (Elsbett type) system, but once this WVO preparation is properly done there is no major difference for use as a fuel between new cooking oil and used cooking oil.

<edit> "Purification" is far more than straining out the chunks of potato and clam bellies. Emulsified water, dissolved salts and other impurities can't be 'filtered'. Not bags, not centrifuge, not "Cat" fuel filters. These impurities can (in my opinion: will) cause damage in the medium to long term to the fuel injector pump and injectors.<end>

Last edited:

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
No, only 2 tanks. Cleaned WVO and SVO can be treated the same and mixed no problem. The both require the same implementation to run in a diesel motor.

osomphane said:
I was pondering the feasibility of a new project car that would utilize a modified alh engine and fuel system (single-tank). I know what wvo and svo are, but you are right, I haven't read through everything to find if they can be interchangeable with each other (assuming wvo is filtered)...

It appears that a dual-tank is recommended with one of the tanks used for diesel. However, if I want to burn wvo and svo together, would I need 3 tanks?