Is there a PCV in a TDI??

goodkingharry

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, silver
Trying to keep my '03 Jetta maintained regularly, I don't know if it's got a gasser-type PCV that should be changed out periodically. The CCV's had an "oil catch tank" modded on, but I've never seen or heard anything about a PCV valve hidden somewhere. Since I change my oil from the top with the Pella 6000 I never get under the car. Could there be the PCV (and more) down there I should be paying more attention to?
Farfrumexpertnugen in NJ.

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
There is no PCV valve in athe ALH TDI's. You can go to VW.com owners section for a complete maintanence schedule for your VW vehicle.

Jason

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
dabear95 said:
There is no PCV valve in athe ALH TDI's. You can go to VW.com owners section for a complete maintanence schedule for your VW vehicle.

Jason

I believe this might be an error. Maybe I have my terminology wrong? The black puck looking thing on top of the valve cover, I believe is a PCV valve. Perhaps one of the gurus could chime in if I have that wrong.

Happy motoring.....:D

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The puck is a pressure regulator and not a valve as referenced by the original poster. Rarely if ever need changing. Some people have replaced this with a filter to reduce oil vapors from going into the intake. Others have routed its output to a catch can, or the open air, or whatever their creative idea happened to be at the moment.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Does the CCV actually regulate pressure ('03 Jetta TDI)? I see posts indicating it has a pressure-regulator function and others saying it is just an (inefficient) oil trap but no airflow restriction. Which is it? If it does actually regulate pressure, mine's broke.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
There is quite a bit of air flow through them.

The bottom line of the original poster's concern: cross this off the list of items to maintain.

goodkingharry

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, silver
PCV/CCV, etc.

O.K. guys, and thanks for all your input. Just wanted to know, BEFORE MY FIRST IM CLEANING, that there's nothing else I might have missed that's still gukking up the flow.
Thanks

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
sdeck said:
Does the CCV actually regulate pressure ('03 Jetta TDI)? I see posts indicating it has a pressure-regulator function and others saying it is just an (inefficient) oil trap but no airflow restriction. Which is it? If it does actually regulate pressure, mine's broke.
Its a pressure regulater to prevent negative crankcase pressure under high boost conditions. Under high boost conditions, there is a slight vacuum in the intake tract, right where the breather hose enters the intake boot, because this location is between the air filter and the turbocharger compressor (normal air filter restriction causes it). The regulator slows flow through it as the vacume on the exit end increases. Negative crankcase pressure will draw dirt in past the engine seals. Not good.

This gizmo also coalesces a small amount of oil vapor and directs it into the valve cover again.

--Nate

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Nate,

So is there a way to check this function? I have been going through about 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles. compression is 490x4, my turbo seems fine. No play in the shaft in any direction, no oil in the bottom of the boost side housing, though I do have oil in the IC (just a 1/8" or less film on the bottom). blows blue smoke periodically when I step on it. I have no leaks whatsoever. I blew a rear main seal a while back and I suspect it was from veg oil contamination of the CC oil. I run a Greasecar WVO kit. My concern is that the same contamination screwed up my valve stem seals as well. I know that these do not normally leak oil since there is rarely vacuum under the valve cover, but I have been wondering about the vacuum under boost pulling oil vapor through the CCV, especially if the valve stem seals are bad. I do 120 miles a day on the highway and boost a lot, followed by stop-and-go traffic as I get into Denver. The CCV seems to be an empty chamber, free airflow in both directions. I am going to install a trap, but time, time, time......

Any way to check the CCV function (besides "borrowing" one from a co-worker ;-)

Thanks,

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
IMO, that's an odd attitude. I also change my oil with a Pella from the top, but I still examine the underside. It doesn't take much time, and it seems to me if you're not doing it then you're neglecting some important PM.

goodkingharry said:
Since I change my oil from the top with the Pella 6000 I never get under the car.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The regulator does not separate oil out. In other words, if its "bad" oil consumption won't go up. What you may be experiencing is increased engine blow-by from worn pistons, rings, and the bores. The increase of gasses exiting the crancase, through the breather, increases the oil vapor leaving the engine. Thus, the engine "uses" more oil.

Does runnging veggi oil increase engine wear?

--Nate

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
PDJetta said:
The regulator does not separate oil out. In other words, if its "bad" oil consumption won't go up. What you may be experiencing is increased engine blow-by from worn pistons, rings, and the bores. The increase of gasses exiting the crancase, through the breather, increases the oil vapor leaving the engine. Thus, the engine "uses" more oil.

Does runnging veggi oil increase engine wear?

--Nate
WVO increasing engine wear, well, that is a whole 'nother can-o-worms. WVO supposedly is more lubrous than diesel, but run incorrectly can cause serious carbonization of the combustion chamber. I suspected rings, but compression is steady at 490/490/490/490 past 35K. Since the turbo bearings seem very tight (no axial or lateral play at all) and there is not oil coming out of the turbo on the pressure side, my last-desparate-hope is that the issues I had with WVO in the CC (long story, solved now) caused the valve seals to shrink/crack and that extended boost/idle driving pattern is causing the oil to leak past the seals during decceleration and get sucked out of the valve cover during acceleration. Is this rational?

I have a CCV trap, but need time to get it installed. That should at least tell me if the oil is going out the CCV. If it is the valve seals, I may just live with it.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I don't want to start an argument, nor do I want to repeat gossip. But I remember a report some time ago about WVO causing problems with the motor oil itself, turning it rather nasty. The solution being to change it a lot more often.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
weedeater said:
I don't want to start an argument, nor do I want to repeat gossip. But I remember a report some time ago about WVO causing problems with the motor oil itself, turning it rather nasty. The solution being to change it a lot more often.
I can lend support from personal experience, not gossip, to that idea. My first UOA after about 25K on WVO (7K on CC oil) showed high viscosity (measured as 20W50, not the 5W40 it should have been). Also showed high wear and coolant contamination by high Na/K levels. I immediately suspected WVO contamination in CC, presumably due to insufficient purge time and/or too shortpost-purge driving resulting in WVO from injector lines getting past cold rings on subsequent startup. The tip off was the high Na/K, since I have had ZERO change in coolant level over last 30K and WVO has high Na/K levels. I started purging longer and driving longer post purge. Next UOA (4K) was much better, pretty much normal except for some carryover. third one (4K) will be sent in on Thursday. I am running Rotella T 5W40 syn.

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
7th VW: 2011 SportWagen TDI & 6th: 2000 Golf TDI
oilhammer said:
German cars do not use a "PCV valve" like many domestic and Asian cars do.
They just call them breather valves like in the 1.8T gassers -- gets clogged, fails and need replacing just like those in domestic and Asian cars. VW doesnt't list them as maintenance items but we know why they do that.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
VW installs an ineffective "filter" on their CCV. Best thing is to install a real CCV filter made by one of the aftermarket diesel truck companies. This does not get into the WVO subject: it simply keeps your intake manifold from caking up and clogging due to the mixing of oil vaporsc from the CCV and carbon from the EGR.