Is taking a free parts car worth the time?

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
My car is in good shape, so there's no huge need here, but a friend offered me a running 2000 5spd Jetta sedan. It was his donor car for a project but he lost interest. It's a bit of a beater (welded shut sunroof, no headliner, dirty, ugly maroon...etc...) but I thought it drove fine and has good power. Should I take it and pull the drivetrain to keep for spares? We don't really want a beater parts car sitting in the yard, so I was thinking I could pull and palletize part or all of the drivetrain? I've never had a parts car so I don't know; is that a dumb idea? The junkyard will take the shell for the cost of a tow...

I know that it has a 11mm pump and some kind of tune +EGR delete pipe; pulling the 11mm pump is the main draw for me.

It has a home brew beef on a budget lift, Avus wheels and may have vr6 axles, but it's otherwise a beater and I don't know a ton about it or the turbo. I think injectors are stock. I can look at it again soon to see what's worth taking? I'm fine buying new parts for my wagon as needed but I did want to upgrade my pump to 11mm...and they're pricey.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It's in the eyes of the beholder, honestly. If you've got the space, time, motivation, do it.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
In theory you should be able to take whatever you want off of it and be able to sell the shell / leftovers to a scrap yard and get money for it (scrap metal value) .

If you have no way to move a shell of a vehicle that no longer rolls , I would go on Craigslist and post free metal and people will come and take it away for you .... for free ... and then they will scrap it out for the $$.

There's no reason for you to have to pay a scrap yard to haul the shell away even if it's just a Towing charge.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I keep a spare car around. Never know what you might need. Once it's picked over I'll have someone haul it off for free.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If it runs and drives, it is worth something to someone. It will outlast any new one, that's for sure.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
It's in the eyes of the beholder, honestly. If you've got the space, time, motivation, do it.
Very true, thanks. Low on space and almost no time but some motivation and friends who could benefit before I use it myself...maybe this will work.

That's very true. I'll go look at it again but I have a couple possible possible paths for the car so I may just get it if the paperwork is in order. I have a couple friends to teach 5spd to so I'd rather them goof up on that thing than my car.

In theory you should be able to take whatever you want off of it and be able to sell the shell / leftovers to a scrap yard and get money for it (scrap metal value) .

If you have no way to move a shell of a vehicle that no longer rolls , I would go on Craigslist and post free metal and people will come and take it away for you .... for free ... and then they will scrap it out for the $$.

There's no reason for you to have to pay a scrap yard to haul the shell away even if it's just a Towing charge.
This is a very good point, thanks.

I keep a spare car around. Never know what you might need. Once it's picked over I'll have someone haul it off for free.
Thanks!

If it runs and drives, it is worth something to someone. It will outlast any new one, that's for sure.
LOL what a terrible thought (that newer isn't going to outlast a 2000). Are the new ones really not that great? Good point though, I guess I can always sell it or gift it if I change my mind.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I am curious how the "sunroof is welded shut"
I just imagine a sheet of steel tack welded on haha

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
I am curious how the "sunroof is welded shut"
I just imagine a sheet of steel tack welded on haha
It looked pretty awful, I think it was indeed sheet metal welded in, ground down a bit and painted over. Maybe filler foam or bondo in there somewhere, not sure... I looked away when I saw it lol. The whole roof is black as part of the...uh...mod.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It's your call, your plan to pull the motor etc. sounds good, not for me, but others see a gold mine. If you gots the time and the room.
But if it runs good, someone needs that car. I donated my old Rabbit with the door coming off to a local Settlement House. They were glad to get it, someone drove the thing for a couple years.