Is a VNT-17 Not a good match for ALH?

dieseltechMK2tdi

Lagrange, New York. the armpit of the world
TDI
96 b4 glacier blue and just picked up a 98 jetta tdi 120,000mi, Edit: i still own these and about 35 other VAG group TDI's mostly pre common rail/DPF
So here goes, normally I have always run the good old tried and true VNT-17/22 On previous ALH TDI‘s that I have owned and was always happy with power/performance. Anyway I recently picked up a 2003 golf that needed an engine and a bunch of other work. I had a spare stock engine that I went through and freshened up. New cam and lifters, new rings and a quick Hone. With Covid and not working a whole lot I didn’t have a whole bunch of money to spend so I held off on getting a turbo as I had a low mileage Stock vnt-15. So I did the 15 and .216 injectors, FMIC, stage 2 tune that spiked around 21psi but stayed at 18 which I know is too much for that little 15, but I knew enough to keep my foot out of it And TRY to not beat on it so much until I saved up some money for a better turbo. I also kept the stock restrictive exhaust system on with catalytic converter until I upgraded the turbo because I knew that would help save that little baby turbo. I tuned it to run clean with very little smoke only a little puff before boost and a very slight haze under full throttle. The car ran great, that thing would rip the tires loose in second gear on dry pavement And you could get a little squeal out of them in third gear around 23 to 2500 RPM, so what I’m saying is it was decently quick. Yeah so much for not beating on it. That lasted all of about five minutes. Fast forward a year, Saved up enough money and bought a legitimate Honeywell/Garrett VNT-17. As my guy no longer makes the 1722. There’s a few places that will custom make them but want astronomical amounts of money. So I slap the 17 on there. The turbo easily makes 20 pounds of boost and I’ve got plenty of fuel. I also put a 2.5 downpipe without cat and 2.5 exhaust system with magna flow muffler. My problem is the car is so slow now, you can’t even get the tires to spin in the rain, I have no codes. All of my readings and everything is the same, so I put the stock 15 back on and it’s “fast”again. Thought I got a bad turbo. I checked the adjustment of the actuator and compared the vacuum readings to the original one that worked well and they are identical, so I contacted the manufacture. They agreed to warrantee it out. Got another one. Put it on the car and same thing, the car is a dog again. Are these turbos just **** and I should go with the S7 turbo that people are talking about? I was tuning these things back in the day and I have not kept up with all the latest technology as what I had worked for years and never gave me any issues. But this is annoying that I can’t keep up with traffic. How can you just changing the turbo make that much of a difference. I didn’t even touch the tune or anything else., you would think a bigger turbo would be better? Back in the day when I was putting turbos on everything known to man. We took the baby stock small ones off and put bigger ones on and always had lots of smiles but I guess not this one..What are some other options for turbos nowadays?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i would think you'd have been around long enough to know that a re-tune is absolutely necessary to have it perform well whenever you change turbo, injectors, or pump. it's no surprise it didn't drive great putting on a vnt17 without retuning the ecu.

that being said, the vnt17 is still kind of a tiny turbo, and unless you get one from x-man for example, with the plain barbed compressor outlet, you then have to mess around with the sh*tty clip connector adapter crap. x-man has great prices and quality for "17/22" and 1856, which are old gen turbos, but still perform quite well and aside from getting the intake parts hooked up (trivial) they are bolt-on.

dieseltechMK2tdi

TDI
96 b4 glacier blue and just picked up a 98 jetta tdi 120,000mi, Edit: i still own these and about 35 other VAG group TDI's mostly pre common rail/DPF
i would think you'd have been around long enough to know that a re-tune is absolutely necessary to have it perform well whenever you change turbo, injectors, or pump. it's no surprise it didn't drive great putting on a vnt17 without retuning the ecu.

that being said, the vnt17 is still kind of a tiny turbo, and unless you get one from x-man for example, with the plain barbed compressor outlet, you then have to mess around with the sh*tty clip connector adapter crap. x-man has great prices and quality for "17/22" and 1856, which are old gen turbos, but still perform quite well and aside from getting the intake parts hooked up (trivial) they are bolt-on.
I forgot to mention, but I did tune it for the 17. And when it still had ****ty performance I even installed and tuned for a 3 bar map and still no difference. I have been writing my own tunes for over 12 years and have had no issues other than little learning curves here and there. This turbo just doesn’t feel right... and I was just trying to find out if others were having poor performance from a factory VNT-17?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I have a vnt17 and have helped several friends put them on and tune, all have zero issues. You either have a mechanical or software problem.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
I have a VNT 17 , RC tuned stage 3, it boosts later than VNT 15 does, but pulls like a trooper! It is my understanding and experience they spool later…. So I rev shift higher rpms and she goes!

dieseltechMK2tdi

TDI
found my problem, bad vacuum pump, was making maybe 15"Hg at 2800RPM, the spring in the original vnt15 vane actuator was significantly weaker than the new vnt17. and could not pull vanes to 80% easily to get the initial boost up and control boost properly. i had my boost limit maps fairly loose so no codes or limp mode, i have a boost gauge with max memory and audible/visual alarm that i have set for over-boost warnings because eEFF them conn rods lol, let'er EAT!

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
found my problem, bad vacuum pump, was making maybe 15"Hg at 2800RPM, the spring in the original vnt15 vane actuator was significantly weaker than the new vnt17. and could not pull vanes to 80% easily to get the initial boost up and control boost properly. i had my boost limit maps fairly loose so no codes or limp mode, i have a boost gauge with max memory and audible/visual alarm that i have set for over-boost warnings because eEFF them conn rods lol, let'er EAT!
How did you fix your vacuum pump issue? Did you notice weaker braking too?