Ins. Co. Totaled my DRIVEABLE 01 TDI What now?

4whlr

TDI
2011 Wagen
Import?

Alaska is not a foreign country. We do not "import" anything. Yes it has to be shipped in, but not imported.

There are plenty of tdi's here. Just not many for sale.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Well,I think you made out ok w/ that offer-that sounded pretty good for an automatic. The way they figured my buy back here in NY(Allstate)was they sent description of car to 3 salvage yards-the highest one is what the buy back would be.It's tough going back to a gasser-you get used to the mpg,and it's quite a shock on the wallet when you fill up twice as much as you used to. My 97 beater Nissan pickup w/ 4cyl and automatic gets 22-24mpg,but my tdi got 43-48mpg-but it all depends on your commute-I have another TDI I will be getting,it's just the matter of working the logistics to get it.....

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Well,I think you made out ok w/ that offer-that sounded pretty good for an automatic. The way they figured my buy back here in NY(Allstate)was they sent description of car to 3 salvage yards-the highest one is what the buy back would be.It's tough going back to a gasser-you get used to the mpg,and it's quite a shock on the wallet when you fill up twice as much as you used to. My 97 beater Nissan pickup w/ 4cyl and automatic gets 22-24mpg,but my tdi got 43-48mpg-but it all depends on your commute-I have another TDI I will be getting,it's just the matter of working the logistics to get it.....
Yeah, no one was going to buy that car from me at that price, so the money part is ok; my argument was that I wanted it fixed because I simply can't make payments of any kind...I can't ad I won't. I refuse.

My plan now is for me to car pool with my gf/use her car of city bus this winter while watching autotrader classic etc for an older truck. Who knows, perhpas this is a blessing in disguise.

I agree though, I"m not looking forward to weekly visits to the gas station, but the only way to spin this into a positive for me is to look forward to being able to carry lumber and chainsaws. I borrowed my gf's dad's truck to take my son on a week long hunting trip earlier this year, and it really underscored how utterly useless a sedan is up here. (At least for the life I want to live now.) So if I were to get a Civic etc, (we already knew this was my last VW regardless.) it would really suck.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
How have I missed all of this? Sorry to hear. Are you too far from work to bike? At least until this settles out. There must be some important sensors that were damaged and/or shaken loose. That could explain some of the car's complaints.
As for CL, the Wasilly 06 one doesn't show a price, and it doesn't have nearly so many miles as many of the other ones out there, and it is a manual.
Good luck. If you decide to keep it, make an appointment with Bruce at Arctic soon.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Flak,

You have hit the mother load, cheer up and take it like the answered prayer that it is.
(I didn't say whose prayer was answered..... heh)

Aja had a good idea, go to texas, buy one of the numerous reasonably priced trucks that are down there, service it for cold weather and drive it to Alaska.

Good luck, God speed and good bye.

Bill

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
People are often surprised by what insurance pays on a loss. I assume the other driver's insurance is paying, since it sounds like he was at fault. Generally, you can expect full retail price, plus sales tax, plus license fees. (snip)
__. Maybe but I got hit by a drunk running 115 MPH from the cops. He had driven about 20 miles on the Interstate with the cops behind him. He blew a .016 on the breathalyzer. My insurance co. (who was going to recover from his -- actually the minimum insurance on his rental car since he wrecked his own car about a month before) gave me blue book trade in, less $500 deductible. I paid almost $4000 to buy another Jetta (wagon this time, with 18K fewer miles). Don't hold your breath for the ins. company to treat you right.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
If you decide to keep it, make an appointment with Bruce at Arctic soon.
Bruce did the TB and turbo on it back in 2006; he does good work there at Arctic Imports.

It's going to b auctioned at Copart; I'll go and bid on it, but my max bid is going to be $800.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Bruce did the TB and turbo on it back in 2006; he does good work there at Arctic Imports.

It's going to b auctioned at Copart; I'll go and bid on it, but my max bid is going to be $800.
I hope it goes well. Occasionally I see a car for a reasonable price here. I wouldn't go to Texas to buy something - they'll probably make you pay sales tax. Washington & Oregon will not make Alaska residents pay sales tax.
Good luck!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I hope it goes well. Occasionally I see a car for a reasonable price here. I wouldn't go to Texas to buy something - they'll probably make you pay sales tax. Washington & Oregon will not make Alaska residents pay sales tax.
Good luck!
Texas would not make you pay sales tax unless you registered it here. Just like most other states operate. :rolleyes:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Texas would not make you pay sales tax unless you registered it here. Just like most other states operate. :rolleyes:
I think it's irrelevant. When we were shopping for my gf's car; I compared prices between Honda dealers in Anchorage and my home town (Tampa). Even WITH paying FL sales tax (7%) vs AK (no sales tax) AND adding in fuel costs plus every meal on the road and hotel every night to drive back to AK from FL...the identical Honda Civic was STILL $1000 cheaper in FL than AK.

Used cars are expensive up here, and the selection is poor. Most of the vehicles on Craigslist are near junk. (My typical response to a used car price is: "(insert stupidly high number) what? Rubles? Because I know you're not talking about dollars." (Although, as thins hav been going, rubles my start being the preferred currency, lol.)

Car shopping was fun in Florida...it's frustrating up here.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Don't you have to be a licensed dealer (or have an account) to bid on cars at Copart?
I bought my Golf at a Copart auction. I registered online at Copart and paid a $200 fee for a 1 year "membership". Some auctions are for licensed dealers only, others are open to the public - at least those of the public that ponied up the $200. Different Copart locations may have different rules.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I bought my Golf at a Copart auction. I registered online at Copart and paid a $200 fee for a 1 year "membership". Some auctions are for licensed dealers only, others are open to the public - at least those of the public that ponied up the $200. Different Copart locations may have different rules.
Thanks, good to know.;)

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Closure

So, after a two year absence, I thought I might bring some closure to all of this. I spent almost the last two years with no vehicle. My girlfriend and I shared her Subaru, I took the bus some, stuff like that. My car never did show up at auction, and I never did get a chance to bid on it or see what it went for at auction. I did, however, see my car last week being driven around town. It still has the flat black primed body panels on the right fender and hood. So somebody got it. If I can track down the owner (I saw the road they live on) I'll give them my extra set of keys, valet key, and owners manual, which I still have.

I went down to FL in May and bought a barely used (14k miles on it, but I've already ran it up to 26k miles-yeah 12k miles in 6 months!) 2012 Ford F-150 4x4 long box and put a Leer topper on it. I then completely loaded it with all of my late Dad's tools etc etc and towed a boat back to Alaska. I used it all this summer to camp, fish, hunt, building projects, kayaking, whatever I wanted. We call it the trash hauler and I love it. It's my first Ford product. I haven't owned a truck since 2004 when I bought the Jetta, and I forgot what it was like. The only draw back is it's so big that I just know I'm going to back into something eventually.

So that closes the VW chapter in my life. I don't miss the Jetta, but I do whirl around to look every time I hear or smell a TDI.

PS: I have a Vag-Com, manuals, and some other VW specific tools and parts that I'll list here for sale, once I figure out what they're worth.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
So, after a two year absence, I thought I might bring some closure to all of this. I spent almost the last two years with no vehicle. My girlfriend and I shared her Subaru, I took the bus some, stuff like that. My car never did show up at auction, and I never did get a chance to bid on it or see what it went for at auction. I did, however, see my car last week being driven around town. It still has the flat black primed body panels on the right fender and hood. So somebody got it. If I can track down the owner (I saw the road they live on) I'll give them my extra set of keys, valet key, and owners manual, which I still have.

I went down to FL in May and bought a barely used (14k miles on it, but I've already ran it up to 26k miles-yeah 12k miles in 6 months!) 2012 Ford F-150 4x4 long box and put a Leer topper on it. I then completely loaded it with all of my late Dad's tools etc etc and towed a boat back to Alaska. I used it all this summer to camp, fish, hunt, building projects, kayaking, whatever I wanted. We call it the trash hauler and I love it. It's my first Ford product. I haven't owned a truck since 2004 when I bought the Jetta, and I forgot what it was like. The only draw back is it's so big that I just know I'm going to back into something eventually.

So that closes the VW chapter in my life. I don't miss the Jetta, but I do whirl around to look every time I hear or smell a TDI.

PS: I have a Vag-Com, manuals, and some other VW specific tools and parts that I'll list here for sale, once I figure out what they're worth.

The mirrors are excellent on the F150. If more is needed, you can add the Tow mirrors and if you have neck difficulties, they have a rearview camera you can retrofit. There is a F150 forum that will no doubt be entertained by your continued follies. Good luck Flak .......