Injection pump leak

Tirefriar

TDI
My trusty 2003 tdi developed a fuel leak. The tech at the shop I work at pinpointed the leak to the injection pump. looking up this issue on the forum lead me to
AndyBees great writeup. Question, does any portion of the labor involved in re-sealing the injector pump overlap with that involved in replacing the timing belt?

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Depends on which seals. If it’s the top or middle covers (where the wires enter the case) or the head seal (where the injector lines come out), then it can be done without disturbing the timing belt. I’ve only done those seals, so I can’t speak for the rest.

Tirefriar

TDI
It’s a head seal. Tech at my work will do the work, Bosch seal kit incoming today or tomorrow. He can do the timing belt but needs the tools to hold cam shaft and injector gear in place. I will do my research tonight and see if I can get him all the stuff in time. He’s done timing belt on a TDI and has the software for setting up timing.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yes! I agree with KLXD .......... do the re-seal first!
Where did you find my write-up?

Tirefriar

TDI
update - bosch kit arrived, tech followed AndyBees instructions including flow settings using VCDS and the hammer method. o-ring came out clean, didn't have to pull the pump completely apart. no leak so far, will need to test drive but so far so good. thank you Andy!