If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

deuxdiesel

TDI
'12 Golf TDI, 14' Beetle TDI, '16 GTI
Do not buy the 2.0. Buy the 2.5 ... you won't regret the larger engine. It gets almost as much as the smaller engine but with 30 more horsepower. Plus there are several differences when you go into the 2.5 Arena. The 2017 are coming in the next couple of months and there are huge changes.

Just some of those differences: made in Japan, different dash gauges, larger brakes, paddle shifters and more. The "S" trim line is their flagship M3. The 2.0 is their budget car and you can tell.

If you want to see what's up coming check out the Mazda Australian website. They just released it in English
There is a huge jump in price when you go to the 2.5 equipped cars, and paddle shifters are for auto transmissions- we will only buy a manual trans car. We are buying this as a replacement for a basic commuter/utilitarian car (Golf). The base 3 is more than sufficient, and we will be able to pocket almost $2,000 after we get our Golf pay-off. Thanks for the input though- it helps to get feedback from others.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
There is a huge jump in price when you go to the 2.5 equipped cars, and paddle shifters are for auto transmissions- we will only buy a manual trans car. We are buying this as a replacement for a basic commuter/utilitarian car (Golf). The base 3 is more than sufficient, and we will be able to pocket almost $2,000 after we get our Golf pay-off. Thanks for the input though- it helps to get feedback from others.
Understood. I just rented a base 3 for a few days. It does have pep but it was missing every feature that mazda had to offer. So hopefully you will be able to at least up the trim level to get things like backup cams, blind spot, etc. I hate to say it but if you really are just looking for a reliable commuter, check out the elantra. I could have got a fully loaded limited for about 21k and the price only goes down from there. And the are full of tech and safety features.

Stick with the 2017s though because they made some nice improvements over previous years.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I am not using the buyback as a "money grab". I am seeing it as an opportunity to get a new identical car for exactly what I owe on my older car. Someone would have to be a halfwit not to take someone up on the offer of trading their 3 year old car with 60k miles for no increase in payment or term length.
The irony of anyone saying it's a money grab is that option two also involves taking money from VW...

That said, give me a GTI Wagon 6MT!! That's what I want. I'm afraid my sax won't fit in the back of a GTI... need more space!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The irony of anyone saying it's a money grab is that option two also involves taking money from VW...
That said, give me a GTI Wagon 6MT!! That's what I want. I'm afraid my sax won't fit in the back of a GTI... need more space!
Fold the seats down?
How big is that sax? :eek:

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Has anyone driven a 2015 or newer Subaru Legacy?

What about 2015 or newer Hyundai Genesis?

I realize these are polar opposites of most VW's in most ways but I am looking to get the same large in cabin and back seat feeling of my Passat?

petercharnish

TDI
2010 jetta
im considering the tiguan with a 2.0 TSI engine special edition but thats mostky because i think VW will give m the most incetive to buy from them if mot in considering the toyota rave4 of the honda crv all 3 woth all wheel drive

mb2016

TDI
2012 VW Passat
I drove a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L over the weekend and liked it. I was a first time VW buyer with my 2012 Passat TDI and I liked it a lot. BUT. Turns out it is not good to be a driver with short commute for this car. I have only 13,000 miles on it and currently have a check engine light with an AdBlue sensor error that was already replaced when it was under warranty. Fix is $1200. With little driving, it seems I'd have to either make some long trips every once in awhile (to get regen to work) or pay $1200 every 2 years to fix this problem. Not nice. So - with my low mileage needs, the hybrid will need not much gas. It seemed a little less torquey than my TDI, but not bad.

mb2016

TDI
2012 VW Passat
Oh - and back seat was pretty comparable to my 2012 Passat. Trunk is smaller. Cabin felt nice.

TDIChris2010

TDI
2010 Jetta
This past Friday I purchased a 2015 Chevy Cruze TD to replace my 2010 Jetta TDI DSG. I have only had it for a few days but so far I like it.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
This past Friday I purchased a 2015 Chevy Cruze TD to replace my 2010 Jetta TDI DSG. I have only had it for a few days but so far I like it.
Please let us know what you think about the comparison. I doubt I'm the only person wondering. Thanks. :D

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Mike, you're not the only one interested in what TDIChris2010 thinks of his Cruze TD compared to his TDI. I too would like to hear what Chris thinks, preferably after a few hundred miles in the Cruze.

deuxdiesel

TDI
Understood. I just rented a base 3 for a few days. It does have pep but it was missing every feature that mazda had to offer. So hopefully you will be able to at least up the trim level to get things like backup cams, blind spot, etc. I hate to say it but if you really are just looking for a reliable commuter, check out the elantra. I could have got a fully loaded limited for about 21k and the price only goes down from there. And the are full of tech and safety features.
Stick with the 2017s though because they made some nice improvements over previous years.
My wife decided she wants to look for a replacement for her Beetle TDI. We went and drove a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 and manual trans. "Not enough squirt". She merges onto the highway filled with semi's every morning at 3 AM heading to work. GTI looms in our future. Sigh.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
My wife decided she wants to look for a replacement for her Beetle TDI. We went and drove a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 and manual trans. "Not enough squirt". She merges onto the highway filled with semi's every morning at 3 AM heading to work. GTI looms in our future. Sigh.
How did she manage in her TDI? The Mazda is much quicker than the diesel, then again going to the GTI is a different ballgame altogether. I fully support speed in those kinds of situations as my daily commute consists of 0-60 runs and low throttle cruising otherwise.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
My beetle convertible merges as well as any car I've driven (within reason). A JSW with a DSG is definitely not the same thing as a beetle with a 6MT.

03fan

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Placing a deposit on a new GTI today. Intercepted one that's in customs in Houston with 0 miles on it.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Has anyone driven a 2015 or newer Subaru Legacy?
What about 2015 or newer Hyundai Genesis?
I realize these are polar opposites of most VW's in most ways but I am looking to get the same large in cabin and back seat feeling of my Passat?
Outback is based on the Legacy platform, which is what is replacing my Passat. The Legacy is very well priced compared to other mid-sized sedans, about the same cost for features with AWD included. The ride is pretty close to my Passat, a very comfortable suburban and highway car. I picked the Outback over another sedan for the better cargo space, slightly taller ride/easier entry/exit, and outstanding resale. I could change my mind in 2-3 years and accept the sale/trade value.

POBOX2897

TDI
2014 JSW 6-speed
Pending any incentives VW may offer to stay with the brand (GTI or 4-motion GSW), I'll most likely be jumping back on the Subaru bandwagon. Heck, I may even consider something from Honda like the Fit or the HRV.

On a side note, I just spent over 2 weeks driving a european market Kia Rio 1.4L diesel with a 6-speed MT. I averaged 4.4l/100km (53mpg) over the nearly 3,000 kilometers I drove it. Maybe I have low standards, but I really enjoyed the car overall, and I would most likely purchase one if offered in the US like this...what a great commuter.

deuxdiesel

TDI
My beetle convertible merges as well as any car I've driven (within reason). A JSW with a DSG is definitely not the same thing as a beetle with a 6MT.
The Beetle is surprisingly quick- it has potent low-end torque, and if you are quick on the upshifts and keep it in the power band, it does well.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
Mb glk250

anyone here driven the Bluetec GLK250? surprised to see CPO's with low miles priced in the high 20's.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI- bought back
I'm drawn to simple, rugged vehicles. Military type vehicles have always had appeal to me. I actually considered a Stewart & Stevenson LMTV as well, since it would be nice to have something that could tow my backhoe... but that thing would absolutely destroy my trails...

If you can find yourself an old M998, those hummers are fantastic on trails. They are inefficient, noisy, and if you don't run them regularly they will break, but... they are fun to drive. I've had water up over the hood while a trainee had it stuck in mud. I got that thing to drive right out. The FMTV series are pretty good as well, but they all have a very high CoG and tip pretty easily (I was in the back for that once). The MTV (3 axle version) is a little more stable, but you are correct, they will destroy your trails. They find the ruts and make them bigger and bigger and bigger.

Back from fantasy land, still waiting for VW to make an actual release about the Alltrack. I also talked to my Honda dealer while I had my Pilot in for complimentary service (after I noticed that at least a qt of the oil intended for IN the engine was actually around the engine) and the guy said that the HR-V is getting adjusted for 2017. He stated that they were talking about changing the motor (possibly a turbo) because that was the chief complaint of the vehicle. If they give that thing more power it will be a serious consideration for me. It's small, a hatch, AWD, and a great price. It's just that powertrain...

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If only honda would mirror how vw sets their seats and steering wheel up. That would help with the primary reason I can't stand Hondas... lack of legroom and headroom.

All three of the cars I've owned prior to my vw were Hondas. The paint quality of the Hondas is also generally crap. My mom's 09 civic is in the shop now for the 3rd time to fix the cloudy clear coat. It's tempting to recommend a vw golf to her with a 2.5 i5 because of the shabby quality of the civic...

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
If only honda would mirror how vw sets their seats and steering wheel up.
What, with the steering wheel offset to the right, and with restricted adjustment of the steering wheel so it's always too far away for tall drivers?

Drive a Volvo S60 or V60 to see how it should be done.

MaverickH1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
If you can find yourself an old M998, those hummers are fantastic on trails. They are inefficient, noisy, and if you don't run them regularly they will break, but... they are fun to drive. I've had water up over the hood while a trainee had it stuck in mud. I got that thing to drive right out. The FMTV series are pretty good as well, but they all have a very high CoG and tip pretty easily (I was in the back for that once). The MTV (3 axle version) is a little more stable, but you are correct, they will destroy your trails. They find the ruts and make them bigger and bigger and bigger.
But what if I want to stay in fantasy land? :(

In your experience which things tend to break when they aren't used regularly? I'm looking at one now that has averaged 7.3 miles per year over its lifetime.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Fold the seats down?
How big is that sax? :eek:
Baritone... in a big square case. And I'd rather not spend 500 on a molded plastic one. Plus I have a car seat in the back, so it can only fold the small side down. PLUS getting long narrow things (lumber) into a sedan with the seat down is fine. Getting long FAT things in isn't.

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
What, with the steering wheel offset to the right, and with restricted adjustment of the steering wheel so it's always too far away for tall drivers?.
Ha! I'm 6'4" and never brought this up because I thought I would be the only one who thought the steering wheel was too far away for us tall guys. FWIW, the GTI I drove last week was super comfy.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
What, with the steering wheel offset to the right, and with restricted adjustment of the steering wheel so it's always too far away for tall drivers?

Drive a Volvo S60 or V60 to see how it should be done.
I'm 6'4" and don't seem to have this issue. I seem to have the steering wheel a bit too far away from me in Asian cars more than any others. German cars like vw and Bmw I don't have this issue.

The steering wheel must be slightly off to the right because I never noticed that.

Try adjusting the seat back slightly more upright. That helped me get closer to the wheel. Adjust it to where the back of your head juuuust touches the headrest.

Baritone... in a big square case. And I'd rather not spend 500 on a molded plastic one. Plus I have a car seat in the back, so it can only fold the small side down. PLUS getting long narrow things (lumber) into a sedan with the seat down is fine. Getting long FAT things in isn't.
Just saw a Google picture of one...
:eek::eek:
That thing is huge :eek:

I can certainly see why a wagon is preferred :cool:

Ha! I'm 6'4" and never brought this up because I thought I would be the only one who thought the steering wheel was too far away for us tall guys. FWIW, the GTI I drove last week was super comfy.
You guys sure you have the steering wheel telescoped close to you? :p

Agreed on the GTI, it rocks in every way! :D

I tested two cars today...
-Mazda cx-5
Great large hatchback. Power delivery is pretty linear, torque is meh. I fit, but only just... overall it was a good comfy ride.

-Mazda cx-9
Okay, this was a big surprise, I loved it. Great power and impressive torque output. Ride was good too. But it was just a bit big for my general needs. The MPG numbers were half of what I average with my golf. If I had kids or needed a bunch of space I'd be all over this one.

If only the turbo engine was offered in the cx-5. That would be a great combo!

I'm still leaning towards a GTI over pretty much anything I've driven so far. Offer me a incentive to buy a VW and it'll really make it a easy choice.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
Took the first step today and have arranged to buy a '91 toyota pickup with a 22-re engine. Will have to fly a thousand miles or so and drive it back to NY, but a road trip can be soul stirring. The price, all in, is less than a few months payment on my Audi A3 TDI. So ... Step one put in motion. Get a cheap pickup to run errands and drive in the snow. Step two will be to take advantage of the buyback at the first opportunity, and find a car to drive. Still contemplating a used Porsche Cayman, but may look for something fun but cheap, dirt cheap. Fortunately, once I have the Toyota, I will have time to think about the car I want. I haven't ruled out a new GTI or an older Audi A4 with quattro. I love my TDI, but given how little I'm driving on a daily basis, I very much doubt I will buy another.
That 22re is bullet proof, will last a long time.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)

Back from fantasy land, still waiting for VW to make an actual release about the Alltrack. I also talked to my Honda dealer while I had my Pilot in for complimentary service (after I noticed that at least a qt of the oil intended for IN the engine was actually around the engine) and the guy said that the HR-V is getting adjusted for 2017. He stated that they were talking about changing the motor (possibly a turbo) because that was the chief complaint of the vehicle. If they give that thing more power it will be a serious consideration for me. It's small, a hatch, AWD, and a great price. It's just that powertrain...
Them hummers are way to wide to wheel on a lot of trails.....

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Completely against my previous thoughts, I bought a 2016 GTI Autobahn with PP today. I will park my Passat until the buyback. I decided to see if the deals were really as good as I'm hearing. I drove the car and just fell in love...they wouldn't let me walk and stepped up to the plate with a killer price. Fantastic deal on an awesome little machine. Much tighter with the kids now, but my wife has an SUV, so we'll make it work.

I was talking with the sales manager after I closed the deal, and he said he doesn't expect any deep discounts or incentives with the buyback. Could be just a load of BS, but he said they view the buyback as pretty generous and will increase their showroom traffic tenfold anyway.

Last edited: