If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I bought a new Mazda 5 a few years ago.... 2010 I believe.... Only kept it a year and had a hell of a time just trying to find a buyer, much less getting good money for it. I honestly don't think there is as much demand for used Mazdas as there is for other brands.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Getting out of bed with Ford was a good move from what I've seen.
Yeah. I wouldn't touch anything other than trucks from the Big 3 with a ten-foot pole, and that has always extended to anyone who was deep under the covers with them, including Mazda. I'll still wait for the stink to wear off before I consider them, but that partnership going away is definitely a step in the right direction.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Ive posted on the forum a few times, about how I ended up buying a 2014 Camry SE four cylinder sedan to replace my 2013 Jetta TDI. I bought the car for several reasons... It is a bigger car, a year newer, over 15 thousand less miles, purchased for 13.8K which allowed me to put around 7500$ into the bank to be used for anything else I wanted....

Also picked a camry because the engine is very simple.... No HPFP, No direct injection, No timing belt, No complex technology, Simple 6 speed automatic transmission. Anything can break, but this powertrain is as simple as it gets in a modern car and should be trouble free for a LONG time! And if something were to break, parts and labor should be cheap and in a worse case event, replacement complete engines and transmissions would be plentiful and cheap from Salvage yards being that there are a trillion Camrys sold every year!

The toyota Camry always has had a strong resale value and is a car that is no trouble to sell if you get tired of it. It gets decent MPG too. I am seeing over 30 mpg in mixed driving and mid 30's on the highway.

Saying all that, I do have some slight buyers remorse. I tow with my car alot.... I ride and race dirtbikes nearly every weekend. I tow one or two bikes on a small trailer behind the car. Towing even just one bike, and keeping the speed with the flow of traffic ( 70-80 mph ) is knocking my MPG down to between 24-26 mpg. Not a huge drop but big difference from the Jetta, where it would get 36-42 mpg pulling the same load, same speeds and routes. Matter of fact, two weekends ago a friend and I went to a place about 100 miles north of charlotte to ride for the day. I drove my camry, he drove his ( I don't know if it is a 2013 or 2014 ) BMW 535 sedan. His car is bigger than the camry, surely much heavier, has a turbocharged 6 cylinder engine with aftermarket performance exhaust intake and tuned... We both have identical trailers and nearly identical bikes. Going there and back, he actually got 2 mpg BETTER than me! At first I couldn't understand why, but I think with the torque of that bigger turbo 6 cylinder engine, he was able to cruise the whole way there and back at a low cruising rpm with small throttle openings.... Where as the camry needed to shift from 6th to 5th and even 4th gear somewhat often, and rev up to 3000-4000 rpms to get up steeper hills and climb grades on the highway. Basically my engine was working harder and ultimately used more gas. So although I am satisfied with the amount of power the car has and how well it accelerates, I do have a little regret that I didn't spend more money and go for a V-6 Camry or something else altogether different. I think I would actually get better MPG with the V-6 Camry when towing and probably not much different when not towing. And unlike the accord, the camry 6 has no timing belt to service... and unlike alot of other cars with turbos and more complex engines, the camry V6 is a simple engine like their 4 cylinder, so reliability should be good and repairs should be minimal. Icing on the cake would be the fact that the V-6 in the camry is the same as in the highlander, tacoma, and many other toyota trucks and suv's and cars. Its a strong engine and would allow me the ability to tow much heavier loads behind the camry than I could with the four cylinder.

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
The headlights seem to be fine for me. I also like the GLK's 3500 towing capacity because I tow a small boat with it and it was a bit of a struggle with the TDI. We bought a white/tan CPO 2015 with navigation. Beautiful car and everything is better.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Also picked a camry because the engine is very simple.... No HPFP, No direct injection, No timing belt, No complex technology, Simple 6 speed automatic transmission. Anything can break, but this powertrain is as simple as it gets in a modern car and should be trouble free for a LONG time! And if something were to break, parts and labor should be cheap and in a worse case event, replacement complete engines and transmissions would be plentiful and cheap from Salvage yards being that there are a trillion Camrys sold every year!

The toyota Camry always has had a strong resale value and is a car that is no trouble to sell if you get tired of it. It gets decent MPG too. I am seeing over 30 mpg in mixed driving and mid 30's on the highway.
Like you, the above items were huge factors in my choice of an SS sedan. I've had a number of these smaller displacement turbo and non-turbo DI cars in the past 10 years and they're a pain for reliability and expense of repair, or even just the time off to get warranty work completed. I decided to go back to something that simply works. I love my Toyota FJ and it's simplicity/reliability and wanted another car like that, but with a bit of driving enjoyment not found in new Toyotas anymore (86 aside- had one, loved it, too small for family purposes).

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
The SS sedan is pretty sweet. My neighbor across the street has the older version of that car, a Pontiac G8. Im still trying to watch my gas use. That big 6.0 V-8 is thirsty.

I did the math on my last tank of gas in the camry, even with gasoline being cheaper it cost me about 6 to 8 dollars MORE to drive the camry over the TDI. This being over just under 370 miles. Heck it sucked to need gas after only 370 miles.... the TDI would do 450-500 miles on a tank!

Started thinking about the fact that I can do my own oil changes verses taking the car to the dealer with the TDI.... Can do my own change on the camry for about 25$ in oil and filter cost. The Jetta was about 70$. But the camry will need two changes in 10K, verses one with the jetta. So only a 20$ savings. But over 10K Ill spend 160-170$ more in fuel with the camry. Of course the Camry won't need a DSG service or timing belt replacement or fuel filter replacement. Those 3 services alone will likely eat up all the money saved in lower fuel costs with the TDI... Or at least make it close. Numbers might change if fuel goes back to 3+ dollars a gallon... Gas is already creeping back up to over 2$ a gallon here and news says to expect it to keep going up.

One thing I factor in is I am no longer at risk for a HPFP failure or a blown turbo or the other common problems with these cars.

I drive too much to consider a SS... I have a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 which is pretty mean for a big truck. I drive it for work and as little for personal use as possible just because its a 10-18 mpg ride max. Also drive it as little as possible for personal use because I want to stretch out how long I can keep driving it before replacing it. Ive had it since march 2008 when I bought it new and its just now at 120K. I would like to keep it several more years, simply because new trucks ( and even used ones ) are so damn expensive these days. Mine was the last of the era of full size decent equipped trucks you could get for under 25 grand.... Mine has cloth, power windows and so on, big V8, etc... paid 22,700$ with taxes and fees out the door brand new. If I tried to replace it today with any brand truck that is comparable I'd be looking at 35-38 grand....

Cremator75

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Turned my car in on Friday afternoon and had a 2017 Hyundai Tucson AWD Limited w/Ultimate Package Friday night.

We were leaning towards the Mazda CX-5 before I came across the Hyundai. You just can't beat the features and warranty you get with the Hyundai compared to the Mazda for basically the same price.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Saying all that, I do have some slight buyers remorse. I tow with my car alot.... I ride and race dirtbikes nearly every weekend. I tow one or two bikes on a small trailer behind the car. Towing even just one bike, and keeping the speed with the flow of traffic ( 70-80 mph ) is knocking my MPG down to between 24-26 mpg. Not a huge drop but big difference from the Jetta, where it would get 36-42 mpg pulling the same load, same speeds and routes. Matter of fact, two weekends ago a friend and I went to a place about 100 miles north of charlotte to ride for the day. I drove my camry, he drove his ( I don't know if it is a 2013 or 2014 ) BMW 535 sedan. His car is bigger than the camry, surely much heavier, has a turbocharged 6 cylinder engine with aftermarket performance exhaust intake and tuned... We both have identical trailers and nearly identical bikes. Going there and back, he actually got 2 mpg BETTER than me! At first I couldn't understand why, but I think with the torque of that bigger turbo 6 cylinder engine, he was able to cruise the whole way there and back at a low cruising rpm with small throttle openings.... Where as the camry needed to shift from 6th to 5th and even 4th gear somewhat often, and rev up to 3000-4000 rpms to get up steeper hills and climb grades on the highway. Basically my engine was working harder and ultimately used more gas. ...
Could be a lot of factors. Heavier doesn't make much negative difference when on the highway cruising. Bigger car may punch a bigger hole in the air making the trailer less of a 'drag'. Could also be that his modifications allow for easier breathing. But I agree that the torque (more power at less rpm) probably a big factor here.

70-80 mph is pretty damn fast while towing a trailer. Small open trailer have small tires that are rotating very fast at that speed. You haven't had a problem yet, but a blow out is a real possibility, or maybe a seized bearing, strong cross wind or a bunch of other things can go wrong.

I think your car may win the mpg game if you both towed at 65 mph. Only adds a few minutes to your trip but makes it safer for everyone.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Clarify why the settlement works less well for him? It might turn out okay for him, as he has a Gen 1 3.0 (through MY 2012). Those owners are getting a buyback option. Those of us with the Gen 2 3.0 (2013 and up) are getting hosed, but the Gen 1 folks could end up okay. It all depends on the numbers for the buyback, which won't be announced until 1/31 at the earliest. So he shouldn't despair yet...
The buyback numbers were announced in the partial consent decree that all parties to the case signed and agreed to. The numbers we don't yet know are the restitution numbers, and that hearing is scheduled for the 18th with a deadline for resolution of the 31st. Looks like we'll know the amount got the 13+ owners then, and unlike the 2.0 settlement you will be able to get half the money with no fix applied at all.

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
Like you, the above items were huge factors in my choice of an SS sedan. I've had a number of these smaller displacement turbo and non-turbo DI cars in the past 10 years and they're a pain for reliability and expense of repair, or even just the time off to get warranty work completed. I decided to go back to something that simply works. I love my Toyota FJ and it's simplicity/reliability and wanted another car like that, but with a bit of driving enjoyment not found in new Toyotas anymore (86 aside- had one, loved it, too small for family purposes).
That also appeals to me. I bought my TDI to use for work so I could keep the miles low on my Touareg. My Touareg now becomes my daily driver...a 2008 with 41,000 miles, it's time to drive it, thirsty Audi 4.2L be damned.

I don't need to replace my TDI, but the Chevy SS is a unicorn in it's last year of production. LS3 (no cylinder deactivation), rear wheel drive, and manual transmission. My 2017 nightfall gray has been built and should now be on the boat.

Sigforty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat w/DSG
I picked up my replacement Thursday 12/29. Turned in my VW on the 28th. Here are some pictures. I went with the GMC Canyon SLT.

Not too bad for MPG from a gas v6.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I picked up my replacement Thursday 12/29. Turned in my VW on the 28th. Here are some pictures. I went with the GMC Canyon SLT.

Not too bad for MPG from a gas v6.
That's about the same mileage I get on my 07 Canyon extended cab with the 2.8l 5 speed manual. If only I could convince the wife that a new truck was a necessity.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Was looking at the Ford Edge Sport AWD with 2.7L Ecoboost Twin Turbo V6 315 HP, 350 tq. Not bad reviews on CR either.

I still haven' t made a decision on fix or buyback, but I am looking around just in case....

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Just test drove a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Autobahn, it is nice. Got them to put it in the "SOLD" lot and will pick it up tomorrow. Very happy with it. It's got a deep throaty sound to the exhaust.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
lotta folks here seem to be joining the masses and getting monster trucks... not that there's anything particularly wrong with that.:roll eyes:

i've caught the V60 envy recently, but will likely wait to see what the wagon/hatch/diesel landscape looks like in a year or two... may even keep the A3 if an unlikely fix ever happens.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
Doesn't the camry 4cyl require synthetic 0w-20 oil? Toyota increased the change interval to 10k miles for many of these, its possible that yours is different though... The v6 still used conventional oil.

The SS sedan is pretty sweet. My neighbor across the street has the older version of that car, a Pontiac G8. Im still trying to watch my gas use. That big 6.0 V-8 is thirsty.

I did the math on my last tank of gas in the camry, even with gasoline being cheaper it cost me about 6 to 8 dollars MORE to drive the camry over the TDI. This being over just under 370 miles. Heck it sucked to need gas after only 370 miles.... the TDI would do 450-500 miles on a tank!

Started thinking about the fact that I can do my own oil changes verses taking the car to the dealer with the TDI.... Can do my own change on the camry for about 25$ in oil and filter cost. The Jetta was about 70$. But the camry will need two changes in 10K, verses one with the jetta. So only a 20$ savings. But over 10K Ill spend 160-170$ more in fuel with the camry. Of course the Camry won't need a DSG service or timing belt replacement or fuel filter replacement. Those 3 services alone will likely eat up all the money saved in lower fuel costs with the TDI... Or at least make it close. Numbers might change if fuel goes back to 3+ dollars a gallon... Gas is already creeping back up to over 2$ a gallon here and news says to expect it to keep going up. ....

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Doesn't the camry 4cyl require synthetic 0w-20 oil? Toyota increased the change interval to 10k miles for many of these, its possible that yours is different though... The v6 still used conventional oil.
Toyota does have across the board 10k intervals with 0W-20 synthetic on almost everything, but they require a 5000 mile interval for the following reasons:

If 0W-20 oil WAS NOT used at the last oil change
Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads
Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading
Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below 32°F / 0°C
Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for a long distance such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use
Basically, 5W-20 dino is allowable but not recommended. Because GyroRon is towing, the 5k intervals are required even with synthetic, though.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I finally have things finalized for my Pilot. I'm getting the Touring AWD; the color was a tough choice, since I really like the red as well, but this is what it will look like (the green is a bit darker in person):

It's being built later this month, and it should be ready mid-February, a week or two after my buyback.

I'm going to be very happy to be back in the Honda family.

fucanay

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I was out of vomit when I looked at the $72,000 GMC Sierra sitting on the dealership floor.
I was shocked by GMC prices as well. I bought a Sierra SE with a 5.3L in 2005 for $22,500 plus TT&L and a spray in bed liner. Who buys these now? A Canyon costs more than that now.

lalyde

TDI
2015 VW GSW MT TDI
I am going to pick up a used 2016 Chevy Impala today. I have mixed emotions. I will miss my car once I turn it in but after it started having issues out of warranty this seemed like an easy way out. I am sad people will now have to meet me to know how cool I am rather than just know it by the car I drive ;) and I am really going to miss the manual. not to mention the mileage.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I am going to pick up a used 2016 Chevy Impala today. I have mixed emotions. I will miss my car once I turn it in but after it started having issues out of warranty this seemed like an easy way out. I am sad people will now have to meet me to know how cool I am rather than just know it by the car I drive ;) and I am really going to miss the manual. not to mention the mileage.
And think of all the hot women that will not be attracted to you now that the diesel is gone! :mad:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've never thought that driving a diesel wagon was especially cool. I think my neighbors wonder why I'm driving the same crappy economy car fifteen years running, while they're churning through Q7s, Range Rovers, and M3s.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Have had a 2016 MB GLA250 now for a couple of weeks. Jupiter red, pano, 19's (not my choice but it is pre-owned), black mb-tex. It replaced my wife's t-red, dsg, pano JSW. Not a bad compromise so far. She likes it, which is the main thing. I still have my 6-spd manual 2011 JSW and whenever I drive it after driving the GLA, I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. The driving characteristics with the manual TDI is just irreplaceable. Drove the auto diesels out there (328d, E250) and they are boring. Maybe the Cruze diesel hatch with a manual will come close but not when you factor in the versatility of the JSW. Plus, I won't be able to swap my BBS RSs onto it!

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Just test drove a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Autobahn, it is nice. Got them to put it in the "SOLD" lot and will pick it up tomorrow. Very happy with it. It's got a deep throaty sound to the exhaust.
Someone tried to buy this car last night after I left the VW dealer, damn people give me a chance to fill out the paperwork. Today Memphis is shut down for snow so I completed the paperwork over the phone and will pick up the turbocharged gasser GLI tomorrow.

http://www.gossettvwmemphis.com/cer...en-Jetta-73f8e3ab0a0e0a6b0cf40ddb295043de.htm

By the way the dealer did knock $500 off the asking price for me too. I got the car for 1K under blue book and it is in showroom condition.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you thought the Canyons were bad, you should see full size truck prices.

remember anyone playing close to MSRP for a truck is just a fool.

tell me a day of the week they don't whack 5-10K off sticker without a blink of any eye?

Last edited: