IBW Gets a New Engine

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Here it is, arrived at Kraftwerke this morning.

Factory long block. And a few things to go with it.

Why? Here's the story.

As many of you know, IndigoBlueWagon has been around a while and done many things. I bought it new in May of '02, had it chipped (Upsolute, remember them?) at 30K, Rocketchipped at 80K, and never looked back. In the past 12 years this car has been to Florida, Montana, Colorado, Toronto, Missouri, and many places between. It survived 70+ dyno pulls, many track days, countless 6000 RPM shifts, four clutches, more suspension swaps than I can count, and lots of wheels and tires. And through all that it's also been my daily for most of those years, driving kids to school, me to work, snowboarding trips on weekends (complete with Thule box), you name it.

However, 292K overall and making about twice stock power for the last 120K has taken its toll. When Mr Chill did the last timing belt at 265K he found the valves wiggling in the guides. Pulled the head and found 4 slightly bent rods, and a venting head gasket. New rods, pistons, honed cylinders, ported head, dbilas cam, new injectors, fresh 17/22 turbo, and it was back in business. Another trip to the dyno, two track days (another suspension swap), and things seemed good. Sort of.

Oil consumption never dropped to where it should be, and then started to go back up. It smoked a lot at idle: stinky, oily smoke. And it smelled in the cabin. Chill's investigation found a leaking valve cover gasket and turbo oil return line. But it still smoked, still stunk, still used too much oil, and the turbo would get sticky much faster than in the past, despite getting a lower fueling RC4+ tune at the '13 Fest.

A few weeks ago Chill pulled the turbo and found oily deposits on the exhaust manifold, and excess oil in the CCV. Diagnosis was that the oil rings weren't doing their job and we were getting blowby. The bores are either conical or grooved enough to make that happen. The head is fine, no sign of any leaks from valve guides or elsewhere.

So I thought about what to do. 12 year old car, 292K on it. But the body looks good, just got $3,300 worth of rust repair (including a new tailgate) courtesy of VW's rust warranty. The interior is still nice. And it's my favorite car, perhaps ever. I've tried to replace it multiple times and haven't found the right car yet. I now have a 5 mile commute on back roads, don't do as many road trips as I used to. And after breaking a wheel hub last year at NHMS I've decided it's too old to trust to drive to the track, flog all day, and expect to get me home.

So near stock sounds like a good option. And although I am confident I Chill could have provided an excellent new bottom end, and although we have a bunch of machined blocks sitting in our warehouse, and although I have a new BKD twin cam PD sitting in my garage, I decided to go ALH. Found a factory new engine, and here it is. New setup will be:

• 11mm pump
  • VNT-15
  • PP357s
  • Lift pump
  • RC3+ ASV (19.5 PSI)
  • PD150 intake manifold
  • PD150 snorkel, airbox, MAF, and airbox to intake
  • All stock internals
  • SBC Stage 2 Daily Clutch (replacing an Endurance)
  • 2.5" exhaust, no CAT
So maybe not totally stock. ;) A very similar setup made 155/270 at the wheels in this car. Pretty quick, certainly quick enough for the street.

I'm excited. This is a win for affection over logic. Who puts this much money and effort in a 12 year old 300K car anyway? I guess I do when I like it better than just about anything else I can buy.

Watch this space. I hope to be driving it again in a week or two.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd do the same thing for my cars. Shame about the oil consumption, though. I was pretty worried about my ALH post-resurrection, but its oil use finally did settle down, and it has remained within a tolerable amount. But mine never was asked to make as much power, either. ;)

Sweet that you found a new OEM longblock, Volkswagen hasn't had them in a while I thought?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Oil consumption never dropped to where it should be, and then started to go back up. It smoked a lot at idle: stinky, oily smoke. And it smelled in the cabin. Chill's investigation found a leaking valve cover gasket and turbo oil return line. But it still smoked, still stunk, still used too much oil, and the turbo would get sticky much faster than in the past, despite getting a lower fueling RC4+ tune at the '13 Fes
Mine did the same thing after the first semi-rebuild. Would stink at idle and blue oil smoke like crazy. There was clouds of oil smoke wherever I went. After discovering that the bores had about 0.003" taper, I had it bored and installed a set of ASV pistons and PD100 rods. Hasn't burned a drop of oil since, it was burning a quart every fill up before.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We were speculating where the engine came from, Chris thought it might have been one they assembled for spare parts, I think it might be a leftover from the Mexican assembly plant. Either way, it's complete, we looked at the cam and it appears to have the correct markings.

Oil consumption was never that bad, maybe a liter in 2,000 miles, more when running hard. And the sad thing was the engine ran great and delivered excellent FE with RC4+. I got 48 MPG running at 75 on snows going to the Detroit auto show in January. But the stink was intolerable, and I don't think the consumption was going to get any better. 2,000 miles/liter was with 15w50.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Okay, I'll say it.

Wait, whut?! You're going to get Chill to get this in the car and up and running in a week?? hee hee, :D:D (all in good fun)

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
Great project!

So cool you found a NEW factory motor!

I'll have to check in on the progress

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Well, maybe not a week. But I have an appointment to have the hood repainted (paint came off during clear bra application) on the 22nd and I'd like to keep that appointment. That may be more reasonable. Or maybe I'll just take them the hood. :D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
RC6 to 4 and now to 3? VNT15? Mellowing a bit, are we?
How much did it cost RocketChip to buy back the RC6?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I almost asked for RC2. RC6 was awesome. But the last thing I want to do is buy a new engine and then start tearing it apart. I'm into this engine lasting a while. Maybe I'll get to see the odometer stop. 614K, right?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
OK guys, it's been over a week. But the old engine is out:

And the engine bay looks mighty empty.

New one still needs a few things.

Chill says the car isn't coming off the lift until it's running.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
curious. where did you find a brand new engine? was it an auction or inside connections?

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Also wondering about the source because I'm another guy installing a rebuilt head and new pistons/rings in deglazed bores hoping to reduce the blue clouds.
Engine is still apart so no results yet, but I like the way your engine looks for sure!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I like how the VNT-15 drives better than the 17. And I'm trying to get close to stock, although it is tuned for 19.5 PSI boost. :D

Engine came from Eurospec in CA. Don't know if they have any more, they only had 3 or 4 when I bought mine.

Yblocker, my block was honed with new pistons and rings installed 30K ago. Didn't work. I think the bores are conical or have irregularities on them. It'll need to be punched out to oversize.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I thought about detailing the bay, but there is so much stuff in there it wouldn't be easy. And since it's all disconnected it occurred to me that it would be harder to not cause damage now than when it's together. Remarkably, it's not that dirty.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Chill called me today asking about whether or not I wanted to replace the transmission mount, so apparently he's already putting it back together. I may take a run up there tonight to see what's up.