///// How will my car drive / behave if I add a 3" intake without a retune ? /////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi All,

So I finally got everything I need to install / upgrade the intake system of my car (sans larger filter system BUT 3" everywhere else will hopefully be a step up unless the air intake into the filter box itself or the filter area becomes the next restriction which I'm guessing it will still be because of what the filter minder already says but who knows.... 1 step at a time I guess).

Anyways, my upgrades will be a 3" TIP (Profi Diesel) , PD150 air intake box (lid) with 3" MAF and 3" accordian hose ... I have all the constant pressure turbo clamps also

With the mods I have so far (see signature) my car, my car will haze when pressing hard (despite even with 20+ PSI boost it STILL hazes).... yes I know 20 to 24 PSI is not good for the little 15 but I don't do it often....

I got my stage 1 tune when the car was stock .... I did not retune even after adding the 11 mm pump, nozzles and even 3 Bar MAP ( the 3 Bar MAP seems to have allowed the boost to go upwards of 24 PSI from the previous 19 to 20 PSI max spike ( I have NOT had the nerve to hold it to the floor in 5th to see if it would go beyond 24 PSI because I don't want to blow up anything).

I have read that by installing a 3" MAF that will cause the car to "think" it has less air and it will cut back fueling ... in this case maybe THAT will be good since black smoke / haze means wasted fuel and if it cuts back fuel do you think I will still have the same power just without the smoke / wasted fuel ?

How will the car feel at cruise / lower power demands ?

Will it still be reasonably driveable / sensitive to the throttle?

Will the larger MAF lower max boost ( I am hoping it will BUT I can manage boost with my right foot still).

I am hoping that this will just keep it from smoking when pressed hard and not do too much anywhere else ...... what do you think?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew

PS - I realize I could retune BUT If it feels good and gets good MPG ..... saving a few bucks would be good (at least until I maybe upgrade the turbo THEN it may be really necessary... BUT then again I may still leave it and see ... I can always retune).

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Retune it for the vnt 15, 18 psi with spike to 20, or put a turbo on that can handle 24psi

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Why in the world would you install a 3bar map sensor if you're not tuned for it. Totally ridiculous. Also the 11mm pump and now a different maf?? Oh my 😂 all this talk about efficiency, but with all this crap thrown together it's operating totally out of its efficiency range. Fuel, boost and air all out of whack I'm sure! Your air intake is not restricting anything....

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Why in the world would you install a 3bar map sensor if you're not tuned for it. Totally ridiculous. Also the 11mm pump and now a different maf?? Oh my 😂 all this talk about efficiency, but with all this crap thrown together it's operating totally out of its efficiency range. Fuel, boost and air all out of whack I'm sure! Your air intake is not restricting anything....
Hi

The 3 bar map had to be installed because I upgraded the smic and the factory map would not fit so the 3 bar was installed.

Truthfully the 3 bar map didn't seem to really affect anything other than allowing me to get upwards of 24 lb of boost if I had my foot in it but that's totally user controllable ....

I don't have many people drive my car other than me but it would be nice to have a valet mode of sorts so if somebody or a mechanic does test drive it they don't blow something up inadvertently hot rod testing it.

Other than the overall increase in high-end boost I don't see or know of anything that the 3 bar map did.

Yes all my mods May make the system wonky but it still seems to work getting good power good efficiency Etc so that's why I was thinking about just holding off on retuning if things if it Drives okay and works okay.

Of course I'll always be somewhat curious what a "proper" tine would do with what i have ....

if it only kept me at 18 to 20 psi boost I'm not sure and the extra cost would be worth it because I can do that with my right foot.

If it does other stuff that's good then maybe that would be more easily swallowed price wise

Maybe if Malone is reading this thread they can jump in?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
The 2.5, 3 and 4bar map sensors all fit exactly same... so... if one fits they all fit. The ecu is being fooled into making more boost, way more boost than it needs