How to torque wheel bearings

TDI
2003 jetta wagon red tdi
What is the proper way to torque the front wheel bearings on a 2003 TDI Jetta? I had mine replaced by what I think is a good mechanic. The right side is doing fine. The left side has failed twice it 3 months. These are National bearings. Mechanic is telling me that they over torque them then back off the nut then retorque to a setting. I have two new bearings coming from ID parts tomorrow. I also have heard that these should be torqued to 125 ft pounds only, run for a week then retorqued to 125 ft pounds. Has anyone else had issues with premature bearing failure? If so what was the cure?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What is the proper way to torque the front wheel bearings on a 2003 TDI Jetta? I had mine replaced by what I think is a good mechanic. The right side is doing fine. The left side has failed twice it 3 months. These are National bearings. Mechanic is telling me that they over torque them then back off the nut then retorque to a setting. I have two new bearings coming from ID parts tomorrow. I also have heard that these should be torqued to 125 ft pounds only, run for a week then retorqued to 125 ft pounds. Has anyone else had issues with premature bearing failure? If so what was the cure?
nice dry threads with no oil, car on the ground, 125 with no extension, should be all you need.
Chances are you are either abusing them when installing them/ defective crap/ or not torquing them enough.
i have had plenty of times that the nut comes loose after a while but that was back when there was a bad run of nuts.... always use a new nut too... make sure they are clean and dry with some parts solvent like brake cleaner, if this is persistent with the axle you have.. could be old threads on the axle are not happy any more.. some blue lock tight might help but is not really needed as long as things are done correctly.
i wont run with anything other than actual legit timmkin bearings or OEM stuff depending on the car. there is no reason that it should be coming back off, no reason to retorque them. it is a one time use nut and the fact of reapplying torque to it is counter productive.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Been a while since I've done it but I seem to recall three different torquing procedures in the manual. What are you following?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I know it's probably not the correct procedure, but I torque the retaining nut to 160ftlbs with wheel on the ground, roll car backwards and forwards 5 feet, fully loosen then retighten. So far have had zero failure, did this procedure on my own car 3 years ago, and on my dad's when I replaced his axles.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
was doing a little searching.. isnt this it?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That is the correct procedure. What's fun, is using a digital torque wrench, the final 60° turn equates roughly to 135ftlbs, that's why I just lazily tighten, loosen, then retighten.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I use the correct procedure and have never had a problem. That first and second stage (150ft/lbs, loosen, roll car) is important. So is the 37ft/lbs before the 60 degree final tightening. If you're only getting 135 on the final stage IMHO you're doing it wrong; that last 60 degrees beyond the 37ft/lbs is TIGHT.

And don't use Chineesium bearings.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
you know what the rears are iirc 175nm in one hit. thats what id use intead of messing.

but its your call.