How to identify sound systems in MK7

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 6spd conversion. 2001 Jetta, Alh, wife's car.
As I search for a Sportwagon 2012-2015 I would like to have a premium factory sound system. I once upgraded a factory system for my MK5 which had an oem amp under the seat that added serious power. VW for some reason closed these amps out for $100 and I was lucky enough to get one. Do these later models have optional sound systems and is there a visual way to determine it? Thanks

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Look under the passenger seat. That's where the fender amp will be for an Mk7 with premium sound. I think the A Pillars get a fender logo as well, but I would look for the amp.

The sound tuning menu will also have sub level, and there should be a spare wheel mounted sub I under the hatch floor.

Even for cars without Fender the OEM helix upgrade is really good bang for the ($450-ish) bucks. Gets you a small sub and amp/DSP intended and tuned for your car and factory speakers.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Just know that for 2015 (not sure for mk6), there is nothing from 3rd parties headunits that will work, as component protection is there, and some info can only be accessed via the infotainment...like tpms

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Just know that for 2015 (not sure for mk6), there is nothing from 3rd parties headunits that will work, as component protection is there, and some info can only be accessed via the infotainment...like tpms
That's not entirely true...

There is the Alpine unit, review here...
It maintains all of the stock functionality, including TPMS, driving modes (if you have them) and steering wheel controls. All that stuff is just can bus messaging. Of course with the Alpine you won't have to deal with component protection.

There is also the RCD520 (all in dash unit, needs quadlock extension harness)...
But they still don't have the Golf/GSW depiction so that is a compromise, but otherwise all functionality is there.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Can't speak for the mk7 but my 11 mk6 took a Kenwood with DSP and a Maestro rr that displays a nice digital gauge selection. It interfaces well in my 2011 mk6, steering wheel controls and all. All but the TPMS and oil temp. read in the provided info window. That may be because 11-14 JSW uses a weird system based off of the ABS sensors not a sensor in each wheel, like most. I don't know if the 15's TPMS is the same? I hear o.e. 15's sound much better.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Mk7 is based of wheel speed sensors. I don't know that I would call it a weird system, it's well proven and effective. But you can retrofit Direct TPMS with per-wheel sensors if you desire. And with the right FEC the Mk7 infotainment can show digital gauges, though both these things are off topic... not that I mind, haha.

I wouldn't spend the $150 on the RR plus the $35 on the interface harness and still need to buy a head unit. The factory head unit speaker output doesn't clip even at maximum volume. It's a great source if you want to do your own thing. Run the factory output to your own DSP/Amp and call it day (if you don't want the Helix). If you get Fender you can still do this by enabling the internal speaker outputs of the radio. Helix uses MOST (fiber optic) between radio and amp.

Match harness CHW.051.419.B takes the speaker output from our radio, runs it out to a plug (where you can have your amp and/or dsp) then runs it back into the factory harness. Completely reversible. This is what I'm doing with an AudioControl D-4.800. I ran the Helix for a while, then removed it but kept the harness. The Helix harness is the match harness mentioned, rebranded and sold through VW.

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 6spd conversion. 2001 Jetta, Alh, wife's car.
Mk7 is based of wheel speed sensors. I don't know that I would call it a weird system, it's well proven and effective. But you can retrofit Direct TPMS with per-wheel sensors if you desire. And with the right FEC the Mk7 infotainment can show digital gauges, though both these things are off topic... not that I mind, haha.

I wouldn't spend the $150 on the RR plus the $35 on the interface harness and still need to buy a head unit. The factory head unit speaker output doesn't clip even at maximum volume. It's a great source if you want to do your own thing. Run the factory output to your own DSP/Amp and call it day (if you don't want the Helix). If you get Fender you can still do this by enabling the internal speaker outputs of the radio. Helix uses MOST (fiber optic) between radio and amp.

Match harness CHW.051.419.B takes the speaker output from our radio, runs it out to a plug (where you can have your amp and/or dsp) then runs it back into the factory harness. Completely reversible. This is what I'm doing with an AudioControl D-4.800. I ran the Helix for a while, then removed it but kept the harness. The Helix harness is the match harness mentioned, rebranded and sold through VW.