How to find where mice are getting in an MK4 (03 Jetta)

tripLr

TDI
2002 Golf
Okay, I've searched for over an hour and I cannot find a Thread or Post on locating where mice are getting in my 03 Jetta or any other VAG product.
I know for a fact they are not getting in at the front of the car. Nope, they've no chewed thru the cabin air filter. I've had both front fender wells out for other reasons and I did not see any where they can get inside the car from there nor in the area of the ECU.

Seems I saw a YouTube about them getting in behind the back bumper cover. I removed it and cannot find where they may be getting in. The pressure vents on the lower right under the back bumper cover have not been chewed on by mice. There are holes in the frame, but does any of that open into the inside, such as behind the carpet in the trunk, under the back seat, etc.?

Thanks!
Mine came in the drain hole under my rear spare tire, and yes they can get in under the cabin air filter without removing the cabing air filter. There is a mouse size gap in the plastic where it sits. From there they have access to your entire dash, glove box, and area beneath your shifter. They live the body insulation.
Keep a couple glue traps under the seats, the spare tire, and even one under the dash by the firewall

Reactions: Ton

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Mine came in the drain hole under my rear spare tire, and yes they can get in under the cabin air filter without removing the cabing air filter. There is a mouse size gap in the plastic where it sits. From there they have access to your entire dash, glove box, and area beneath your shifter. They live the body insulation.
Keep a couple glue traps under the seats, the spare tire, and even one under the dash by the firewall
I noticed you quoted my opening post to this Thread. Did you read my last post (about an hour ago)?

Well, I actually looked under there with the Borescope. I did not see anything. Seems if there was a hole there water would drain into the passenger side. Hmm... maybe I need to take another look. I did use a brush, long screw driver, etc., to break up debris and then vacuumed it out.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Ahh yeeees......I remember the ol' glue trap days. Effective as can be. The end result is a dead (or maybe not) mouse, the sticky pad, and a 5-lb mound of mouse toids. If they are still alive, you can set up your own crash test studies. It involves an old pair of gloves, any nearby wall, and a moment of wishing you were pitching in the major leagues!

Full Circle

TDI
2001 Golf GL 2DR HB 5spd manual 93 Ford F250 7.3 IDI NA / sold 2009 VW SW / 2010 GOLF / 2014 BMW 323D
Okay, I've searched for over an hour and I cannot find a Thread or Post on locating where mice are getting in my 03 Jetta or any other VAG product.
I know for a fact they are not getting in at the front of the car. Nope, they've no chewed thru the cabin air filter. I've had both front fender wells out for other reasons and I did not see any where they can get inside the car from there nor in the area of the ECU.

Seems I saw a YouTube about them getting in behind the back bumper cover. I removed it and cannot find where they may be getting in. The pressure vents on the lower right under the back bumper cover have not been chewed on by mice. There are holes in the frame, but does any of that open into the inside, such as behind the carpet in the trunk, under the back seat, etc.?

Thanks!
Tracking with Glowbug I'd be checking the undercarriage bung plugs I've had to replace quite a few on my 01 Golf.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
SO, last week by washer fluid was leaking -found a weird random sort-of crack where it connects to the tank. Also saw both of my parking light rubber dust caps cracked in the middle. Today, my wife's GLE 350 is low on coolant while out driving. Got to Autozone, found that the coolant return line had 4 different holes! Also there was a gouge on a rubber spacer and I found a sock on the engine cover!

Yep, I have mice too. Closer inspection of the garage has found some droppings, shredded cardboard and 1 cornhole bag eaten empty. Time to eradicate!

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Have you tried the “fresh cab” botanical rodent repellent? We have used it in our vehicles and farm equipment that sits mainly over winter and have never had issues since. Tom cat works ok but it seemed they always went and died in said vehicle/tractor. Irish soap and lint sheets never worked for us either. Our barn cats hunt too, so that helps.
good luck on the hunt, this has been entertaining

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Well…..I’m up to 29 mice caught between two traps in my garage since OCTOBER …😳😳😳

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I'm tying things up at this point. And, I cannot say for sure that I found where they are getting inside. I may not more later this week.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol there are 4 missing in the garage…..started out with 6….

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I set out little gift trays of 25% sugar, 25% flour and 50% baking soda. Will not harm any pets if they taste it but will create flatulence in mice and rats. Since they cannot pass gas their little stomachs will eventually burst and they will die a horrible death. I should be reported to the SPCA.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Finally caught the jerk after 2+ weeks of wreaking havoc in our garage. Turns out NOT mice at all, but just one thirsty roof rat who probably got accidentally trapped in the garage. All told, probably more than $250 worth of damage just from him. He ate 2 coolant return lines, 3 washer fluid lines, 1 ABS sensor harness (not able to replace, but my splice job is working good), 2 rubber headlight dust caps, stored fridge water lines and chews on various plastics and foam in two engine bays.

I think he was slowed by the sticky trap and then met his demise in the snap trap. Here's hoping he had no friends!

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
Finally caught the jerk after 2+ weeks of wreaking havoc in our garage. Turns out NOT mice at all, but just one thirsty roof rat who probably got accidentally trapped in the garage. All told, probably more than $250 worth of damage just from him. He ate 2 coolant return lines, 3 washer fluid lines, 1 ABS sensor harness (not able to replace, but my splice job is working good), 2 rubber headlight dust caps, stored fridge water lines and chews on various plastics and foam in two engine bays.

I think he was slowed by the sticky trap and then met his demise in the snap trap. Here's hoping he had no friends!

Great work on the catch!

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I set out little gift trays of 25% sugar, 25% flour and 50% baking soda. Will not harm any pets if they taste it but will create flatulence in mice and rats. Since they cannot pass gas their little stomachs will eventually burst and they will die a horrible death. I should be reported to the SPCA.
One of my coworkers said he and a friend used to get high and go feed little white bread “packets” of baking soda to the seagulls at the landfill for the same effect 🤣
Said the gulls would start to fly away and then just explode in midair, though I’m not sure whether to believe that considering he did say he and his friend were stoned at the time lol

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Totally off the original subject of this thread.
Roofied raisins for pheseants.
a raisin in the bottom of a Dixie cup with petroleum jelly on the inside so it sticks to their head if you wanna catch them.
Or a bean can with a hole.
A thousand ways to skin a cat.