how to drain water from fuel filter?

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 audi tt alh swap, 2014 chevy cruze diesel that replaced 2012 jetta tdi, 2008 dodge cummins
how are you supposed to drain the water from the fuel filter? if i open the drain all it does is suck air, there has to be a way.

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 audi tt alh swap, 2014 chevy cruze diesel that replaced 2012 jetta tdi, 2008 dodge cummins
nobody has ever drained their fuel filter?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
you remove the thermostat T at the top of the filter before opening up the drain.

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
if there is any water, it will drain out first. when you see diesel coming out, close it. you're done. water is heavier, so it will stay on the bottom. that's why the drain is on the bottom. i have to do that myself. btw, this is an old post. notice the dates?

ssullivan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Might help to pull the windshield fluid bottle. Might be easiest to loosen the mounting bolt and slide the filter up in its holder.

I'm answering this old thread because it was the first search result.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I do think the tip about loosening the clamp screw would help. I don’t think I’ve ever opened that drain on any of my diesels and saw water. I stopped checking.

-Todd

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
I quit draining the filter years ago. In Arizona it is not much of a concern. I found it best to loosen the screw and lift the filter a little.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The last time I drained water from any diesel was in 2000 when drained the unit underneath on my 86 Golf diesel...and there was NO water in it then. If there wasn't anything in that catchall then I honestly don't think I'll be finding anything in the filter.

We haven't had any local contamination issues in ages...nothing in the last decade that I recall.

Steve