How to do your buyback calculations (& post them here!)

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Are we 100% sure this buyback is going to happen.
No--the Earth could be destroyed by a giant meteor strike tomorrow, or we could all be vaporized in World War III. But if you're limiting the possibilities to things that might actually happen, yes, the buyback is going to happen. Even if VW has a fix approved tomorrow, if you want them to buy your car back, they must buy your car back under the terms of the settlement agreements.

Dub J

TDI
Jetta MK VI TDI Manual 6
No--the Earth could be destroyed by a giant meteor strike tomorrow, or we could all be vaporized in World War III. But if you're limiting the possibilities to things that might actually happen, yes, the buyback is going to happen. Even if VW has a fix approved tomorrow, if you want them to buy your car back, they must buy your car back under the terms of the settlement agreements.
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure if they had an out if they came up with some magical fix.

nblaylock

TDI
2010 Jetta
I used the FTC's chart, which I google and don't have the address for, and the VW settlement website and will be getting a little over 16000.

According the the FTC chart
Jetta 2010 Sedan TDI Eastern 14,087
Adjustment for mileage 1,980
Follow the steps on both pages, I felt like I was doing taxes.
According the the VW settlement site
Vehicle Return Amount 10,900
Restitution 5,166.73
Total 16066.73

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
My wife went over the mileage by a few hundred so if we park it on Saturday when her new car arrives and wait until Dec 1 or later we'll get an additional $690.

Dub J

TDI
Jetta MK VI TDI Manual 6
My wife went over the mileage by a few hundred so if we park it on Saturday when her new car arrives and wait until Dec 1 or later we'll get an additional $690.
Yes! I'm with you on those sentiments. I'm picking up my car tomorrow and will not touch the car until we go to the dealership.

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
I haven't see any comments on the possible FIX yet. As one who always buys a used car and generally keep them till they can't make it to the junk yard on there own I am at least interested in what the FIX might be.

I will not consider it if it is a DEF system but short of that I might go for it.

dkroening

TDI
2015 Jetta S
Am I correct?

If my estimated buyback was 23,329 for 35,000 miles driven at the time of return and owe 16,496 on my 2015 Jetta S then I should have the difference in my hand after correct?

I averaged out my mileage that I drive per month (little over 1,200 miles) and how much my car payment is and figured that I am only losing $71-89 per month in mileage deductions. So why wouldn't I keep my car while only losing that much per month? Seems like the cheapest lease known to the car industry. Approximately $0.06 per mile. Any thoughts?

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Sorry for bringing this up late in the game, but do you subtract both the Buyback adjustment and the Mod adjustment from the vehicle value from table 1A?

My 2009 is valued at $13,067 using table 1A. With 191K miles on the OD it looks like I deduct $3,900. Do I also subtract $650? Leaving me only $8,517 for total buyback amount? Or should the buyback be $9,167?

And what is the "Mod. Adjustment" figure anyway?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
The Mod Adjustment is the adjustment to the modification restitution. So no, you don't subtract both. If you're doing the buyback, you add or subtract the buyback adjustment. If you're doing the modification, you add or subtract the mod adjustment.

prostart

TDI
2013 JSW / 2003 Jetta TDI
Ive parked my car now at 24,300 miles. My question is as far as time, I know we get more money as time goes on if our mileage dosent change. What sort of blocks in time are we talking about with my not trying to figure the math out over and over again with time added. I know everything is based off Sept 16' . Im not sticking it out till the end of 2018, no reason for that, but am thinking let the car sit till March of 17' so that would make it 1/2 year, any suggestions ? Car is parked in a super safe spot, I owe nothing on the car, and its off insurance. Its a base 13' JSW with manual trans. Thanks

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I looked at those numbers when the first buyback calculators were posted. IIRC, in order to make a few $100 more on the JSW, I would need to let it sit for about 10 months. Not worth it.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
For Prostart:You are given credit for 1042 miles/month but the mileage windows are 5000 miles wide. So it can take up to 5 months to drop into a lower mileage window and every five months after that until you reach the highest benefit window. If your 24K is an actual not adjusted figure, you might be pretty close to that window already. Your adjusted figure would be in the 5000-10000 mile window. There is only one window above that (0-5000) and you'll hit that in Apr 17. And you would receive an additional $570.

Last edited:

prostart

TDI
You are given credit for 1042 miles/month but the mileage windows are 5000 miles wide. So it can take up to 5 months to drop into a lower window and every five months after that until you reach the highest benefit window. If your 24K is an actual not adjusted figure, you might be pretty close to that window already.
Yes my actual mileage on the car is 24300, stopped driving it, didnt wanna fall into the 25k up bracket. My document were approved yesterday so I assume they will give me an offer soon and available turn in dates. I just wanna pick a date that will benefit me most, hence my question. Can you help me with this more ? Thanks

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The math to figure the mileage adjustment is the number of months since Sept 2015 X 1042, then you subtract your current mileage from that.

So, if you turn in your car in December of 2016 (for example), your calculated turn in mileage is

15 months X 1042 = 15630
24300 - 15630 = 8670 miles, using the look up table from the settlement

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/FTC_Consent_Order/Attachments/Attachment 2B.pdf

The adjusted mileage range is 5,001 - 10,000 for an amount of $3,090 that is added to your buyback amount.

The next lower mileage range is 0 - 5,000 for an amount of $3,660, a difference of $570 additional amount that could be added to your buyback amount.

Since your car is low miles, and you cannot go below Zero (0) miles for the adjusted buyback amount, you could sit on your car (and not drive it) for an additional 4 months, to get the adjust mileage to 4502, and move down to the 0 - 5,000 mileage range, Gaining you an additional $570 buyback amount.

Once you get your cars adjusted mileage into the 0 - 5,000 range, you would just need to drive it less than 1042/month to keep it that range.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes my actual mileage on the car is 24300, stopped driving it, didnt wanna fall into the 25k up bracket. My document were approved yesterday so I assume they will give me an offer soon and available turn in dates. I just wanna pick a date that will benefit me most, hence my question. Can you help me with this more ? Thanks
As I mentioned in my edited post and by tactdi, you max out in Apr 17.

prostart

TDI
The math to figure the mileage adjustment is the number of months since Sept 2015 X 1042, then you subtract your current mileage from that.

So, if you turn in your car in December of 2016 (for example), your calculated turn in mileage is

15 months X 1042 = 15630
24300 - 15630 = 8670 miles, using the look up table from the settlement

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/FTC_Consent_Order/Attachments/Attachment 2B.pdf

The adjusted mileage range is 5,001 - 10,000 for an amount of $3,090 that is added to your buyback amount.

The next lower mileage range is 0 - 5,000 for an amount of $3,660, a difference of $570 additional amount that could be added to your buyback amount.

Since your car is low miles, and you cannot go below Zero (0) miles for the adjusted buyback amount, you could sit on your car (and not drive it) for an additional 4 months, to get the adjust mileage to 4502, and move down to the 0 - 5,000 mileage range, Gaining you an additional $570 buyback amount.

Once you get your cars adjusted mileage into the 0 - 5,000 range, you would just need to drive it less than 1042/month to keep it that range.
Thanks for your help !!

So if I wait till April 2017 its as follows

19 x 1042 = 19798

Car Mileage 24300 - 19798 = 4502 miles

By waiting till April of 2017 ill get an additional $570 cause the car will fall into the 0 - 5000 mile bracket.

March wont make it into that bracket by doing the math.

Thanks again for the help !!! Im sure with all the buy backs that are before me, April will be an option for me anyways. I apprecaite it, cause if I did March I would have given up $570. Thank You again !!!

prostart

TDI
Thank you guys again, im horrible with math. Sad to see this car go, I bought it as my next 10 year car and never drove it. We will see in the future what happens, maybe we can buy them back. Id like a loaded one with a manual trans, but I bet those are real rare. Thank you again !!!

D15SEL

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL 6M, '13 Beetle 'vert 6M
All optiond

Hi.... I have not read all 58 pages....but cannot find the info anywhere except this:

2015 Golf SEL. Manual. (It is awesome)
So they are dinging me for the stick and my mileage (58k)
The SEL comes loaded, but I still paid for the lighting package...
I don't see that option on any charts...
Can someone inform me if they know if I'll get anything for that?
TIA
2015 golf replaced with 2016 GSW w 11k on it
2013 beetle convert replaced with 2015 RLine vert in same color combo
Both TDIs parked since Sept.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi.... I have not read all 58 pages....but cannot find the info anywhere except this:
2015 Golf SEL. Manual. (It is awesome)
So they are dinging me for the stick and my mileage (58k)
The SEL comes loaded, but I still paid for the lighting package...
I don't see that option on any charts...
Can someone inform me if they know if I'll get anything for that?
TIA
2015 golf replaced with 2016 GSW w 11k on it
2013 beetle convert replaced with 2015 RLine vert in same color combo
Both TDIs parked since Sept.
The SEL, be it a Golf, Jetta or Passat, is very well equipped. And if you look at the tables, there is no bump in compensation for any option you added above the SEL package. This was an objection in the hearing and was rejected. Yes, you will be docked for a manual and excess mileage. I have a '15 and will break the 16,000 mile barrier next week.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
Offer letter came today - I have signed and notarized the release, uploaded everything.

Amount was $15,706.73 :)

Now the wait begins again...

nmea2020

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG Silver 2006 JETTA DSG
2010 JETTA DSG TDI SEDAN 120K miles...Stole the cream puff with 80K in 2014 for $13K
Documents uploaded Oct. 25th.
Accepted Nov. 3th.
Final offer letter Nov. 17th.
Received Final offer....$13,675...not bad for 2 years and 40K miles...Considering the HPFP is a ticking time bomb and DPF is suspect
I called the wife since the car is in her name and she got busy with the notary next door to our business...Already uploaded the acceptance same day
I really like this car, but it's just a car...a really awesome car
I still have the 2005.5 Jetta TDI DSG and it is very cool also just a lil slower with better fuel economy and no HPFP or DPF to worry about.
LIFE is GOOD

biscuitsmik

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI
Hey all question for ya. Just got the packet to get notarized and the listed buyback value is larger than anticipated. Am I missing something or did they increase the value?

2013 Golf 2 dr purchased in Southeast

Automatic transmission

I come up with $21,437 (without mileage calculated) and VW is showing $21,916.73. Anyone else notice that? Not that i'm complaining.

Mike

Regulartdi

TDI
2.0 13 Passat and 11 Jetta
Documents accepted

So we submitted our documents on 18 October, on 14 November, VW found my U.S. Military ID, a Government ID, as not acceptable. Sent in my Florida Drivers License same day and today the 18th of November just got an email saying documents reviewed and all are acceptable.

They are now reviewing for eligibility. We bough our 2011 Jetta in early June 2016.

We have a 13 Passat as well, but we have not decided if we are going to turn it in or not, we really enjoy this car.

doche002

TDI
Jetta sportswagen 2011
Final Offer $5600 less than calculated

I received my final buy back offer today and it was significantly (@$5700) less then the amount I calculated using the formula and process. I have attempted to call and ask what recourse I have but they are not able to help me. I am at a loss of what to do next.
Buy back offer for the vehicle is $12475 (plus $5481 restitution ). I calculate $17687 ish. I have a 2011 Jetta Sportswagen 4 D with Sunroof and live in NC. I have 113000 miles on it.
Has anyone run into this situation? Not sure what to do and neither are those who answer the claims helpline.

Last edited:

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Entering the wrong purchase date e.g. Something after Sep 15 will cause a reduction, but not that large. Same if you entered 153000 miles rather than 113000. A number of people have made mistakes like that. Ask the claims folks to read back the info that you inputted.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, his offer was exactly right. He was adding the buyback and the restitution figures to get wat he was expecting.

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
Very interesting. I just did the calculations on doche202's car with one of the online calculators and got the same results he did.

Can I assume the online calculators have made a major mistake and if so where is an accurate calculator?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
No, the online calculators are right. The correct amount is about $17k buyback, $5k modification. You don't add those numbers to get the buyback amount. His offer reflected that--car value is $12k, restitution is $5k, for a total of $17k (all using rounded numbers, of course).

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, agree, $17.6K is right. But if he thought he was entitled to $22K, like many, he misunderstood the tables. Would have been better if the tables were never made public. The online calculators are much better and far less error prone.