How much for 5 speed swaps?

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Hey guys, I’ve got 2 cars I’m going to be stripping down for parts and I’m wondering if it’s worth pulling everything for someone to do a 5 speed swap with, cars were both running and driving with cosmetic damage. Anyone chime in on what they paid for their swap components would be great. From what I read it’s around $1000? Sound high though.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
id say $1000 is a decent price, if someone is going to source their own trans (not from a scrapyard) Their looking at almost $1000 for the trans itself. not to mention all the other components. now will it sell at that price i don't know, depends on how many tdi lovers are in your area that have the heart to do this kind of swap.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I wouldn't pay $1000 for a mk4 swap. I'd pay $500 for the entire parts car.

If you can get $1000 - take the money and run....

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I tried to offer 5 speed swaps from my parts cars, was no interested, ended up scraping them. Seems these kits get much more value states side.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
I tried to offer 5 speed swaps from my parts cars, was no interested, ended up scraping them. Seems these kits get much more value states side.
yeah i believe especially in ontario people are more willing to buy the whole car as a donor instead of buying the swap

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
Old thread I know but interested in the parts for a swap if anyone has them. Have an 03 wagon with an auto like to upgrade

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
Well got a quote for $2500 Canadian all in with new clutch and a used trans, just waiting for the 01M to pop and will have it done.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I let 3, 03 tdi cars go to the scrap yard a couple years ago with 5 speeds in them, no one wanted them, or wanted to make the effort.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
For that I'd buy a scrap car with everything. $1000 will get you a junk car, you can take everything you want out, part whatever good pieces are on it and then scrap. I got $350 for the last shell I took in: no motor, no trans, no struts. I've got a 2 spare 02j trans.

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
For that I'd buy a scrap car with everything. $1000 will get you a junk car, you can take everything you want out, part whatever good pieces are on it and then scrap. I got $350 for the last shell I took in: no motor, no trans, no struts. I've got a 2 spare 02j trans.

The extra $1500 dont bother me....its easier for myself..I have to many sled,bike,truck projects at the moment just want a clean cheap commuter car to save my truck and Q5 and have it on the road fast I dont have time to figure out wiring and such..plus no hoist. I plan to keep this thing nice and clean, have a body shop at my disposal.