How far are you willing to drive for TDIFest?

Factory or not

• In my backyard (a couple of hours)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regional (less than 5 hours)

• Days drive (less than 10 hours)

• National (no time limit)

• Total voters

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
I think you need to add another category. I will be driving from Washington State this year – about 1800 miles one-way. I would most likely drive to California of maybe even Texas. But I doubt I would drive to New York or Florida. I am guessing that about 5 days and 2000 miles one way is my max - A two week vacation. Any more would cut into my hunting and other annual family vacation time.

Perhaps a breakdown into mile increments – 50, 100, 200, 500 or 1000 miles etc?

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Took me 14 hours to drive from home to Boston (TDI Fest 2004) in one day. That's about my limit for a weekend Fest.

If the Fest was in the middle of the week then it would work out nicely for a 1000+ mile vacation trip for attendees who live far away.

Have not voted since my personal limit is more than 10 hours' drive time but doubtful I'd consider going national if Fest remains on a weekend. Would need two weeks for present weekend Fest time slot but a mid-week Fest allows one to take one week off for attending. Just my .02 on this aspect.

My criteria if I attend a Fest or not is where it's held and if there are other attractions in the area/on the way. Since it moves around can't really say from year to year if I'll make the next one.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Why only drive ten hours in a 24 hour day? I count time zone changes to determine driving hours available in a "day".
I suppose that puts me in the "no life, no time limit" category. I'll vote accordingly.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
541.31 miles!

Seriously, I drove 900+ miles to New England TDIFest. Had to break it into 2 days drive.

I would like to drive for a long day, when possible. 10-12 hours is about right.

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
I can't put every possibility on the list or it would be endless. Pick the closest one. The point I'm trying to get across is that the majority of the people aren't willing to travel far to attend the Fest. I counted on a good portion of Wisconsin'ites for this Fest, and they are coming through. I thought we'd get a lot from Chicago, Minny, MI, etc, and we are getting quite a few from this range. I thought being a central location we'd draw from a larger audience, but this hasn't been the case to date. And those that choose national will attend no matter where it is. So really, there is a small group that will go no matter where it is, and after that it really becomes more of a regional event. I just thought this info might be helpful for a future group planning such an event. Luckily, I knew we have a fairly active group in the area.

I know the West coast would love to host the Fest, but based on what I'm seeing they would probably draw well from CA and WA and a few others willing to make a long trek, but thats about it.

Same issue on the date of the Fest, I'm not sure that Labor day weekend is the best time. Kids back to school, end of summer, etc. I think these factors might limit the number of attendees. A summer time event might allow people to incorporate the event as part of a vacation, etc.

I'm just posing these questions to help future planners. I know this years event will turnout great, but I just want others to know what to expect if they choose to host the Fest.

E

Lug_Nut

TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I just want others to know what to expect if they choose to host the Fest.
1) If you KNEW what you now know, would you do have done it?
2) Ask yourself that same question in five week's time.
3) Then again in 10 month's time.
I'll wager your answers are:
1) No.
2) No effin' way!
3) Yeah, baby! But this time around we'll....

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
You can't have every choice in the poll, but 2 days drive (ie one over night) would be worth adding. I'm sure many would consider on night, but two is too much. That would be around 1000miles or so.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
The point I'm trying to get across is that the majority of the people aren't willing to travel far to attend the Fest. I counted on a good portion of Wisconsin'ites for this Fest, and they are coming through. I thought we'd get a lot from Chicago, Minny, MI, etc, and we are getting quite a few from this range. I thought being a central location we'd draw from a larger audience, but this hasn't been the case to date.
Sort of off topic here as it isn't truly Fest related but I know there are alot of TDI'ers in/around Chicago area. They hardly ever seem to have GTG's for whatever reason - or at least they're not posted here in the GTG section. That's why I go to Michigan GTG's despite the twice the distance drive since they have several GTG's every year. Same thing for the group down in Columbus, Ohio as I''ve been to most of their GTG's too. They just seem to be more active is all. No offense to you Chicago-area folks as I know there are a number of dedicated owners from there too.

So I'm not too surprised by your statement that to date there isn't the number of attendees signed up that you expected given the number of members in the WI/IN/IN/MI/IA/MN area. Hopefully you'll get a wave of last minute folks to boost the numbers?

Your take on the Fest being mainly a deluxe multi-day regional GTG is about right since it's not truly national. Pretty much limited to whoever is within a day's drive plus some hard core types (we know who they are!) from what I've seen. Have been to last three Fests and seen this firsthand.

The annual Mopar Nationals event draws over 3,000 cars from across the US/Canada consistently for example. Either they are more passionate or distance is less of an issue for that crowd. Not sure how much of a factor that they always have this event at same location near Columbus, Ohio so there is none of that different location/organizers stuff we go through every year. They use Columbus as it's centrally located for the majority of attendees as the east coast/midwest is where most of them reside. So west coast Mopar fans also get stiffed like the TDI'ers here location-wise if they don't want to make the trek to the Nationals.

Always wondered if there was an attempt to have the Fest in same location every year if that would help bring up attendance? There are pros/cons for both ways - be nice to use same location for ease in organizing hotels, knowing the lay of land, etc. yet there's something to be said for a different location every year too for variety. Maybe we need a poll on this? Probably have enough Fest related polls already at moment though.....

I think the "problem" is that most TDI'ers simply drive them and only attend GTG's when they need help/maintenance/repairs done. Then there's the passionate crowd who mod them followed by the cadre of hard-core types. Our cars aren't classics nor have the monetary worth/rarity of Mopars (a 1971 Hemi Cuda convertible needing restoration sold for $250,000.00 US dollars a year ago!
) which is one reason the Mopar Nationals pull in such big numbers for both show/race cars and owners/specators. But this is apples versus oranges really.

How many people have attended the past TDI Fests? Did one have a significently larger number of attendees than the rest? Might be an indication of what areas will draw more of us if future Fests are in/near same area? Hard to say how our growing numbers may affect results too as I suspect the first Fest had the lowest number of attendees and most recent one highest numbers?

Unfortunely there are many more questions than answers here pertaining to just about every aspect of the Fest. We'll probably never know the answers either - if we did this discussion wouldn't come up every year otherwise in such detail and organizers will have an easier time of it.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Just a reminder for all Easypass users driving through Ill. You can not use Easypass in Ill. You will need to pay at the toll.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Driving in from Utah! See you there.

BeetleGo

TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Boston calling!

A number of us folks from "Greater Metro Beantown" will be driving out. That's a 2-day (for most of us, I suppose) on the way out. Probably a 4-5 day heading back home, for me at any rate. I've always wanted to wander Michigan's Upper Penn area.

Anyone know what the mosquito situation is up there at that time of year? I know the entire state of Maine is gruesome - the mosquito is their state BIRD!

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is the current breakdown of where the vehicles* are coming from for the Fest. *Each vehicle could contain multiple people.

35 are instate, another 50 or so are in nearby states with travel times generally less than 6 hours.

State Counts
WI 35
MN 15
IL 11
MI 10
IA 8
IN 5
MD 4
MO 4
NY 4
MA 3
OH 3
KY 2
ON 2
TX 2
NH 2
NJ 2
PA 2
UT 2
MS 1
BC 1
CA 1
CO 1
FL 1
GA 1
VA 1
OR 1
RI 1
AL 1
QC 1
WA 1

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 1999, Cool White
I'm sick. I haven't visited the TDI Club site in quite a while and the fest is just a couple of hours away. I have to work Friday at my regular job(fixing VW's,independent) and on Saturday at my other job(Car Quest auto parts store)and Sunday is booked with the GF. She has no interest in the fest (we went to the fest in Grand Rapids and she wouldn't socialize with anyone). I am just sick about not checking the site in so long. Maybe I'll make a break for it and just come up for Sunday. There will be trouble but it might help alievate the the pain in my gut. Anyway if I don't make it you all have a great time!!!

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are the semi-final numbers. 75% of the registrations where from the midwest region.

WI 63
MN 18
IL 15
MI 11
IA 9
OH 9
NY 6
IN 5
MA 4
MD 4
MO 4
TX 3