Hep me ! Standard shift

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
Just hours ago I was shifting and I started grinding gears when accelerating and down shifting . Seems to be mostly isolated to third gear. When shifting you have some slight resistance , when I shift to third it just clunks forward like something came loose. Any ideas tonight before I drive on the highway to hell ? Or will it hold up for a while. If I take my time shifting and go slow through the motions it reacts better , but something came loose

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you replaced any of your shifter bushings in the shift assembly? I had trouble getting into gear before I replaced all my bushings - way too much slop.

https://dieselgeek.com/collections/...5Jip_ZPCoQ7fhu8Fe_5I0gWxJC7q3gbgaAkpNEALw_wcB
Yes. I did put a Disel geek shift kit in. Was sometime ago, so dont recall if it was a partial or what. When I shift now when Im going to third with slight pressure it just jumps into third like the shifter isnt connected to the mechanism.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Yes. I did put a Disel geek shift kit in. Was sometime ago, so dont recall if it was a partial or what. When I shift now when Im going to third with slight pressure it just jumps into third like the shifter isnt connected to the mechanism.
Did you install a dieselgeek short shifter, or the actual shifter bushings, which require you to pull the downpipe, heat shield, and shifter assembly?
They're mutually exclusive - related, but affect the transmission differently.
Also, assuming you did a short shifter, I presume you also aligned everything? On the short shifter, you have your shift cables loose from your shifter assembly, set the transmission to the home position, and then lock the shifter inside the car with a pin that you get in your kit (either for the short shifter, or the shifter bushings). Then tighten the shifter cables back, so it shifts properly.

When I had a lot of slop with my shifter bushings, 1st and 3rd were the two problem areas I had when shifting, but as they say, YMMV.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you install a dieselgeek short shifter, or the actual shifter bushings, which require you to pull the downpipe, heat shield, and shifter assembly?
They're mutually exclusive - related, but affect the transmission differently.
Also, assuming you did a short shifter, I presume you also aligned everything? On the short shifter, you have your shift cables loose from your shifter assembly, set the transmission to the home position, and then lock the shifter inside the car with a pin that you get in your kit (either for the short shifter, or the shifter bushings). Then tighten the shifter cables back, so it shifts properly.

When I had a lot of slop with my shifter bushings, 1st and 3rd were the two problem areas I had when shifting, but as they say, YMMV.
No . Bushing on the side of shift stick and bushings on the spring for pushing down the stick shift. Family drove Jetta today with no issues. Thats odd. I am going to get the shift kit from the Geeks abut $89.00 just to be on the safe side . Thanks for the reply!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
No . Bushing on the side of shift stick and bushings on the spring for pushing down the stick shift. Family drove Jetta today with no issues. Thats odd. I am going to get the shift kit from the Geeks abut $89.00 just to be on the safe side . Thanks for the reply!
You're welcome.

No guarantees it'll fix your problem, but your shifting will be A LOT more precise. The factory bushings are ALL worn out by now with a lot of slop.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
You're welcome.

No guarantees it'll fix your problem, but your shifting will be A LOT more precise. The factory bushings are ALL worn out by now with a lot of slop.
True that. Dieselgeek sells some nice stuff. Auto parts stores and dealers would gouge you to replace your shifter parts. The shifter kits are # one

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I had a third gear grind on my 02 GTi. Had to granny shift it to engage. It ended up being the GL-5 fluid I put in the tranny, not knowing that it doesn't supercede GL-4. Rather, it's a different spec for a different application.

Put the proper fluid in, and could shift normal again.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a third gear grind on my 02 GTi. Had to granny shift it to engage. It ended up being the GL-5 fluid I put in the tranny, not knowing that it doesn't supercede GL-4. Rather, it's a different spec for a different application.

Put the proper fluid in, and could shift normal again.
Thanks for the info. Thats the same thing Im experiencing. I describe it as shaving the top of third gear off . However this time it seemed like when you went to third it shifted forward before the stick shift got there, with a clunk and a grind. The next day it didnt do it. So maybe when it heats up that may be when the problem occurs . This just started. Now shaving the top of third gear off has been going on for sometime , like you I have to gingerly shift to third. I also posted my Turbo wasnt working in the morning but in the afternoon it did ! Now today I had Turbo all day ! Go figure. Fluid change is next project Thanks again !

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info. Thats the same thing Im experiencing. I describe it as shaving the top of third gear off . However this time it seemed like when you went to third it shifted forward before the stick shift got there, with a clunk and a grind. The next day it didnt do it. So maybe when it heats up that may be when the problem occurs . This just started. Now shaving the top of third gear off has been going on for sometime , like you I have to gingerly shift to third. I also posted my Turbo wasnt working in the morning but in the afternoon it did ! Now today I had Turbo all day ! Go figure. Fluid change is next project Thanks again !
Thanks
Thanks after your post I was compelled to change the fluid. It was 3/4 quart low smelled like it was burnt and poured into the waste basin like gold metal flake paint ! I was astounded how much bronze flake was in the used fluid . Shifts smooth although third gear is still questionable , but I only drove about fifteen minutes so it may take some more time before I can see the results . Thanks again

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Yeah, it took a little time after changing to GL-4 before third would engage quickly without grinding, but not terribly long. Like within 100 miles. But I had GL-5 in for only a few thousand miles before third became unbearable.

If you had GL-5 in for a long time, it may well have eaten away at the brass synchros enough to cause real damage. Hopefully not, but you say you saw lots of “bronze flakes.”

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it took a little time after changing to GL-4 before third would engage quickly without grinding, but not terribly long. Like within 100 miles. But I had GL-5 in for only a few thousand miles before third became unbearable.

If you had GL-5 in for a long time, it may well have eaten away at the brass synchros enough to cause real damage. Hopefully not, but you say you saw lots of “bronze flakes.”
[/QUote TI bought the car when it had 227000 miles I changed it just now . Its probably never been changed . Looked like I was panning for gold ! but these were super fine pieces suspended in the fluid , millions of them. Im gonna flush it out in about 4-6 months and change it again

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I haven't had a manual trans in over 20 years and Redline used to be the gold standard. You may want to try that for your final fill. I also used to periodically lube the linkage pivot points with spray white grease. Have someone gently row through the gears while you lube from below. Good luck, John

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't had a manual trans in over 20 years and Redline used to be the gold standard. You may want to try that for your final fill. I also used to periodically lube the linkage pivot points with spray white grease. Have someone gently row through the gears while you lube from below. Good luck, John
Thanks for your reply! Its amazing how much information is out there and how many folks sendt info on this. I appreciate everyones help. Good idea the white grease . Thanks again

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
And don't be afraid to pull back the shift boot to access and lube the linkage.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
And don't be afraid to pull back the shift boot to access and lube the linkage.
Actually the boot is flopping around in there . Because the first thing I checked was the fittings under the boot. so I will apply some chicken lube!

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Chicken lube lol thats one ive yet to hear, my father in law calls it rat piss

NevilleMccoy

TDI
Just hours ago I was shifting and I started grinding gears when accelerating and down shifting . Seems to be mostly isolated to third gear. When shifting you have some slight resistance , when I shift to third it just clunks forward like something came loose. Any ideas tonight before I drive on the highway to hell ? Speed Test Or will it hold up for a while. If I take my time shifting and go slow through the motions it reacts better , but something came loose
assuming you did a short shifter, I presume you also aligned everything? On the short shifter, you have your shift cables loose from your shifter assembly, set the transmission to the home position, and then lock the shifter inside the car with a pin that you get in your kit (either for the short shifter, or the shifter bushings). Then tighten the shifter cables back, so it shifts properly.

Last edited:

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
assuming you did a short shifter, I presume you also aligned everything? On the short shifter, you have your shift cables loose from your shifter assembly, set the transmission to the home position, and then lock the shifter inside the car with a pin that you get in your kit (either for the short shifter, or the shifter bushings). Then tighten the shifter cables back, so it shifts properly.
Changed the fluid with Redline MT90 GL4 that seemed to have taken care of the issue at this time. Good idea to check your manual tranny especially if you dont know the history

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Glad it worked out. Follow-ups are always helpful and welcome on these forums. Good to know Redline still makes good chit.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad it worked out. Follow-ups are always helpful and welcome on these forums. Good to know Redline still makes good chit.
Well thank you and rather pricey at that. I bought it because it said 75-90W GL4 on the label. Which is the recommended grade. I am going to change it in about six month, and flush it out better because I had a lot of brass in the old fluid

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Too bad the expensive stuff is already in there. I typically use a cheap (but correct) fluid if I know I will be draining it soon as a flush. Then put the good fluid in for the long haul.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Is there a reason you're going to dump it in a few months? I wouldn't have bothered with the red line if I knew I was going to be dropping it in short order.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Is there a reason you're going to dump it in a few months? I wouldn't have bothered with the red line if I knew I was going to be dropping it in short order.
he says
............snip................... I typically use a cheap (but correct) fluid if I know I will be draining it soon as a flush. Then put the good fluid in for the long haul.............snip...................

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I don't recommend any of my experiments until I have proven them out on myself.

So, 150,000 miles after I started using synchromesh gear oil in my 02J, I can safely say the Pennzoil, Valvoline or The GM product work just fine and at 1/2 the price of the touted oils, like Redline Amsoil and so many others; some for as much as 3x the cost. The claim by many is that same product made by Pennzoil is manufactured for at least two other marketers. But if it says Synchromesh, it's the same thing it is NOT synthetic. There are times that is a fancy way to say 'It's more expensive', when it doesn't have to be.

The business with ANY bottle of gear oil that says it's compatible with GL-4 or GL-5 is an absolute LIE. The difference is brass synchros compared to steel synchros. The GL-5 has more phosphorus and Sulphur, which are the elements under heat and excessive pressure are the sacrificial element in the oil that attaches to the synchros, breaking off to protect the surface of the synchro, but the GL-5 with the higher amounts of P and Su attach so tightly to the brass synchros, that in the older transmissions with brass synchros, the brass tears off with the protection... not a good thing. Your gear oil will look like you are panning for gold.

Unless you have the wrong stuff in your tranny, I don't see much advantage is 'flushing it'. You are just flushing money down the drain.

Now a Separate topic....
While I am at it, there is an intriguing issue with the '06 0A4 5-speed transmissions. I am not positive, but this may continue with subsequent transmissions.

Pulling the drain plug will not empty the 0A4 transmission, nor will trying to fill the front plug really fill it. In order to completely drain the 0A4, the rear plug and the diamond-shaped shifter bottom support have to be removed. To refill, you can put fluid into the front fill hole, but it won't completely fill. For some reason, there is a baffle inside the transmission that holds oil at a high enough level that it's about even with the front fill hole. So, to fill, put in as much as you can, then turn the engine on and put it into gear.

CAUTION! There is a danger with running the gearbox and wheels moving while working under the vehicle. ONLY perform this with the vehicle carefully and competently supported and being cautious of the rotating wheels. If you don't feel safe with them moving, remove the wheels.

With the gearbox moving, the gears will draw the new oil onto both sides of the internal baffle. If you don't follow this plan, you will only 1/2 empty and 1/2 fill your transmission. Also, do not reinstall the lower shift support with RTV, or it will leak. I use Hylomar sealant.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
I didnt know I had bronze metal shavings when I changed it or I wouldnt have put Redline in it. No one in the vicinity has GL4 , when I drained it and found metal shavings I had no choice but to put the Redline in or drive to Corpus which I couldnt because the car is on ramps and the fluid in a drain pan. There is know way to know until you pull the plug. The car was on ramps next time I may use something different. Obviously I wouldnt waste money to flush the tranny with expensive fluid just for the hell of it