Helped my daughter go to the dark side and get a Jetta S

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Of all the people to do this, this weekend I helped my daughter buy a gasoline-powered Jetta. She's living in LA, not a car person, but needed reliable wheels. Being 2,600 miles away makes it hard to help her out if she has a breakdown, and LA County doesn't have a surfeit of TDI gurus. So we decided to go gasoline.

I looked at some certified used cars, both VW and other makes, but used car prices are pretty high out here. And she didn't want any unexpected repairs. Turns out the owner of our local dealer in MA knows the GM of the Downtown LA VW dealer, so with a few phone calls we had a deal together on a '13 Jetta S. I flew out Friday AM and we picked it up.

We wanted to find a sunroof model, but they are scarce out here. And she absolutely wanted an auto, which I can almost understand in LA. The 2.0 has a 6-speed Asian auto this year, which is very smooth. It also has rear disc brakes, folding rear seat, and center armrest, even though vw.com says the S w/o sunroof doesn't come with the armrest and folding seats. The only thing it's missing that I would have liked is cruise control, although my daughter will probably never have a chance to use it here. And it has Contis, not Hankooks.

Maybe the new car feeling hasn't worn off, but this car is very, very nice. The interior materials aren't up to the level of my '12 Golf, but they’re not bad at all. And I prefer the fabric seats to the leatherette in the more expensive trim levels. The car is totally tight and rattle free (at least it is now). The ride is excellent, 15" wheels really help, I think.

The transmission works great, the engine makes decent power, which I think will improve as it breaks in (it has 100 miles on it). It will downshift from 6th to 5th on the highway if you try to accelerate quickly from, say, 60 MPH, which I have always found annoying, but the gearing is pretty tall in 6th so that's not a surprise. The car only weighs 2,800 lbs., so it's not working any harder than the A3 ABA she had before. And the transmission is far better than the 01M in that car. I drove when she took me to LAX last night and the car happily and silently moves along at 70+ MPH. I think the gearing is almost as tall as the TDIs.

The kicker is the cost. Retail price delivered after discounts was $16,800. MSRP with destination on a TDI with no options is $24,910. Invoice on the TDI is about $23,850, and the $1,000 lease incentive we got on the S isn't available on the TDI, nor is the low money factor on the lease. A three year, 15,000 mile a year lease with no money down was $240/month. The dealer used the owner loyalty program for the upfront costs, so she paid $75 and drove away. She'll most likely buy the car at the end of the lease term.

With a manual transmission (which is about a grand less) this is a car I could very happily live with, much to my surprise. She should get between 25-30 MPG in mixed driving, probably about 10 MPG less than in a TDI. RUL runs about $3.95 here, and widely: I've seen it at $4.19, but also at $5.02. If she gets 26 MPG in the gasser (She does a lot of city driving), 15,000 miles of fuel will cost about $2,280. If she got 36 MPG in a TDI (remember, auto and city driving), the same 15K would cost about $1,790. In round numbers the TDI might save $500/year in fuel. Odds are she won’t have the car long enough to make up the $7,000 or so in cost.

I don’t expect I’ll convince anyone here that they should get an S instead of a TDI. And I was happy to climb into my ’97 Passat this morning for the drive home from the airport. My point is that VW is making some good cars that are excellent values, and the Jetta S may be at the top of the list. Also, I've discovered that the MKVI Jetta is a pretty nice car, regardless of drivetrain.

Last edited:

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
Sounds very nice. Great price too! I think she will be happy with it.

Ford_6L_E350

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI - sold the 13 TDI
I had a 2011 base model Jetta S w/no options. $14,300 and it was a great little car with plenty of premium features: power heated mirrors, 4 window 1 touch windows, etc. While that was a great car for the money, I prefer my '13 TDI I traded it for.

The Jetta S is the car I would suggest for my daughter.

Mike

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Well said. I liked the car more than I expected, but driving my Golf today I like it better. The S is perfect for her, however.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Yep the Jetta gas burner is a perfect "Chick Car". With the 3 years of included maintenance and allmost no worry about misfueling. It still has the VW safety features in case of collision though.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I had a 2004 2.0 golf (same engine) which I traded in in 2011 . I put 130k on it and had no mechanical problems. Very reliable engine.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
The transmission works great, the engine makes decent power, which I think will improve as it breaks in (it has 100 miles on it). It will downshift from 6th to 5th on the highway if you try to accelerate quickly from, say, 60 MPH, which I have always found annoying, but the gearing is pretty tall in 6th so that's not a surprise.

The "2.slow" isn't any race winner, but it's about as bulletproof of an engine out there. It's hard to beat for the price.

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for sharing, Peter. Great choice, especially for the money.

I've been looking at possible lease options to replace my '03 wagon, and as much as I want a wagon and TDI, the base S with manual transmission makes a lot more financial sense. I know the Golf and Sportwagen are more 'solid' cars, but for commuting, the S is all I'd need.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'd commute in manual transmission S in a heartbeat. I think it would be a very pleasant drive, as long as you don't ask it to go too fast. My local dealer here has an S manual for $15,400. That's pretty reasonable for a new VW.

ExpiredRice

TDI
Golf TDI '11
If my TDI ever blows up or meets an unexpected demise I'd probably get a Jetta S in stick (don't know how to drive stick) or a Prius C as a beater/DD car while I decide on what I want next. Having driven half of the "underpowered" Japanese econoboxes to various places across the Northeast I find it funny when people tell me those cars are dangerously slow. I drove a corolla a few years back loaded with 3 200lbs+ passengers and several sacks of rice just fine(the car looked silly loaded), just takes a bit more planning if you need/want to make a move.

Skatch_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Confortline, Gun Metal Grey,Tech Package and DSG, Previous was 2012 Platinum Grey Jetta 6MT, 138500km
My sister-in-law bought the 2011 version of this car. We added aftermarket cruise control and she loves it. Great value in ths vehicle.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
its not bad of a car. I just bought one of those today but it was the manual. the lowest car they had on the lot for 16,900.

traded my 2013 Passat in for it so it was a major downgrade from a sel prem Passat.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Have had occasion to drive the '13 Jetta S. Interior room is great. Seems like it would be fine unless you were commuting over the Appalachians on US 50. Would steer my kid toward one, but his equivalent '02 only has 105K on it, and he's happy anyway. Yaris is a 1.5, not a 2.0.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
It doesn't rattle? You sure you bought a VW??? :)

I really like the new Jetta from the outside. Sorry if I missed this, but how's the space inside? How many hours can 3 adults comfortably in the back for?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Didn't rattle with 200 miles on it. I'll have to ask her if any have developed. I was surprised because of all the complaints I've read here about the MKVI sedans.

This car is BIG inside. It really is as roomy as my B4 Passat. I didn't have three people in back and of course it'll depend on their size, but there's plenty of head and legroom for longer drives, especially if the people in front cooperate a bit.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm trying to talk my mom into buying the same car. Her '91 Camry is finally getting to the point that the floorboards are starting to let the carpet get wet when driven in the rain. :rolleyes:

I think the Jetta S is one of the best values on the car market right now, and I am not just saying that because I am a Volkswagen fan. Heck, it isn't that much difference in price than a Scion IQ, and it is literally twice the car! :eek:

Given my mother's age, and the amount she drives, I'll inherit a nice, well cared for Jetta some day, since it will probably be the very last car she owns.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
When you can get a 30mpg 2.slo manual Jetta S for what, 7 grand less than a TDI, you really have to question whether a TDI makes sense now. The 2.0 is pretty bomb proof too, just change the oil, timing belt/water pump, and it will pretty much run forever. Parts are cheap too.

oilhammer

TDI
I just hope Aisin got the valve body problems fixed, because while my mom can row gears just fine, I very much doubt she wants to any more.

The Jetta S is precisely why I myself could never buy a Jetta TDI new. I just couldn't walk past a $16k car to get a $23k version with the only significant difference being the engine. I just don't think there is that much more car there.

Last edited:

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
I can understand not wanting to pay the premium, but it's funny because most people in the new car market seem to think completely the other direction. People think I'm weird because I made the dealer find me a base TDI, while my co-worker bought an Elantra that ended up costing even more than my Jetta once he was done adding all the toys.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Our local dealer has a Golf TDI on the lot with a sticker price of 32K. Not sure how they managed that but it's a long way from the 25K sticker in my 2-door TDI with no options. I feel the base version of most any car is the best value.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My daughter will probably get a Jetta (new) late this year if things go right for her. She has a 2010 Fusion SE 4 cylinder and it's a nice car, but since she drove my MKV she has thoughts about a switch. Plus, the Fusion may go to our granddaughter once her 1998 Camry dies (230,000 on it now) or we sell it. She's a Junior in college this year (Fall) and will be away at the campus and I would feel better if she had a little better set of wheels.

On another note, I was at a large Ford dealer yesterday where we were picking up my stepdaughter's 2007 Saturn Vue (bought used, of course) and was chatting with the sales guys about sales. They say they can't keep $60 - $70K pickups on the lot as they sell every one that comes in, some sold sight unseen:eek:. The same goes with Boss 302 Mustangs that list MSRP at $46,900. Two were in the showroom with sold tags on them.

It's getting crazy again.

Oh, we got the 2007 V6 Saturn (one owner trade with full maintenance records) for $6500.00 ($7189 out the door). That oughta hold her for a while.

Last edited:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Our local dealer has a Golf TDI on the lot with a sticker price of 32K. Not sure how they managed that but it's a long way from the 25K sticker in my 2-door TDI with no options. I feel the base version of most any car is the best value.
I imagine that was the "Tech Package" version with the big low profile tires. A coworkers nephew had one of those. He must have a lead foot based on the mpg that he was getting. He also liked to have died when he found out how much new tires would be and the short lifespan of them also. Not for me. My base JSW TDI 6M with the 16 inch biolines suits me just fine.

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
Glad your daughter likes the 2.slow. I wasn't a fan of it. :(

I test drove a Jetta S last week while my car was getting its first careless maintenance done (they spilled oil on the sock, surprise!). I test drove a black automatic because we're starting to look for something to replace my wife's 2000 Jetta because she complains about lack of diesel availability (not sure why, but whatever) and I'm thinking I don't want to give her a CR TDI because she's run out of diesel twice in her current car. Thus, I think a gas powered car will be a good idea for her. I decided it wouldn't work for us because it couldn't get out of its own way just when trying to accelerate up to about 50 MPH. It was similar to a Prius C in terms of power, which wasn't so good. At least the Prius gets about 20 MPG higher with its under-powered engine. And there was an annoying rattle somewhere in the driver's side door. It does have a lot of space inside though.

Next I test drove a Jetta Hybrid. What a difference! Amazing amount of power from it. I don't know why they won't offer the Jetta with that 1.4T engine alone. I'm sure the hybrid system helped it out too, but that was a fun car.

I've asked the sales guy to contact me when the 1.8T Jetta shows up. I had to educate him on the fact that it was coming to replace the 2.5, he didn't have a clue so I told him to check out jayscarblog.com. Silly clueless dealer sales people.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It is not quick. And that's from someone who owns a 119 HP Mercedes. But for driving in the dense and endless traffic in the LA basin it really doesn't matter. And I was pretty impressed with how the adaptive transmission figured out what gear to hang on to to keep the car from hunting. I'd not like the downshifting when accelerating on the highway, but I would never want an automatic anyway. I want to test drive a manual transmission one and see what I think, but there aren't many out there.

And I would hope the hybrid is better: For an additional 7K it should be.

oilhammer

TDI
You can only go as fast as the car in front of you, and that is by far the simplest engine in Volkswagen's north American lineup... which is a good thing.

Sometimes just getting there, albeit slowly, is the most important thing.

119hp Mercedes? Blah, I've pushed a 52hp Volkswagen beyond 400k miles. The Jetta S, slushbox even, is a guided missile in comparison. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The Mercedes is actually pretty amazing. Despite its pathetic power to weight ratio it'll happily cruise at 80 MPH and get 32 MPG in the process. Silently.

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
I saw it from the perspective of trying to merge on the highway safely. The automatic Jetta 2.0 felt slightly more powerful than my '85 Jetta diesel which isn't the best thing for traffic in 2013. When I started off it revved close to 6000 rpm before it shifted, which was a bit worrisome. But it eventually shifted and slowly got up to speed. With all the engines in VW's stable, it's odd that they brought back that one in particular to compete with the more advanced offerings from competitors. A manual probably would have been a lot better but since my wife can't/won't drive one we'll wait for the 1.8T automagic and see how that one is.

And the Hybrid I drove was the pimped out SEL version, so it was only $30000 :D Too much money for an NCS Jetta in my opinion. But it was a lot of fun to drive for a short time.