Help with bew 2004 golf interior lights

Joash

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi sedan
I am having problems with my golf interior lights. I am talking about the little red lights in the dash area. Almost non of them work besides the one on the light switches. I checked the fuses and there is power to them and they are good. Are there any relays I should be looking at or any thing else? thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You mean the dashboard illumination lamps? That is fed off the blue and gray wire from the headlight switch IIRC. The one in the headlamp switch itself is usually always on when the key is on (so you can find the switch in the dark).

Joash

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi sedan
Yes i am talking about the dash board illumination lamps. I kinda wondered if that one was on all the time.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the related fuse is good, and has power when it should, I would suspect the switch itself.

I just checked, it is the gray/blue wire from the switch, terminal 3 on the dimmer roller. 5A fuse, position 3 in the fuse panel.

So from the light switch itself, it should power up the gray/blue wire down to the fuse, then from the fuse back to the dimmer roller then back out to all the interior lamps.

Joash

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi sedan
I did try another known good switch. Is there differences in switches across the mk4?