Help diagnosing new sound '14 JSW 6m ~76k miles

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Video below -

Wife has been driving, she says it is a new sound and I think she is probably correct. Not sure if anyone will be able to tell anything from the video/audio but maybe can at least point me towards how to provide better info. Clutch in/out didn't seem to make much difference.

To me it seems louder towards firewall or air filter side of engine. Seems louder right after start but continues. I will check with vcds and see if there are any codes. I'm also going to get it out at speed and check if warmed up makes a difference. As much as anything I'd like to figure out if it is likely covered (engine/injection/emissions) vs not covered (clutch/dmf/tranny) and if driving it could cause something nasty to happen.

After driving it myself, I think the only thing that is new is the rattling for just a second or so right after start. I changed the video to one that just has that. Seems to do it on both cold and warm start. No codes via vcds.

EGR/exhaust?
tandem pump?
hpfp/injector related?
DMF?

Thanks much for any ideas or guidance.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I haven't been able to open the video yet. What mileage is on the car? Have you confirmed the exacts like if the sound goes away or changes when warm? Knocking? Tapping? Clicking? Tip in throttle? Flat cruise? Miles? Little exacts like that can give a good direction.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I went back a saw the miles in the title... Sorry.

Initially I thought of a recent "noise" that my 11 started doing. And strangely at 78k.
At first drive of the day there is a very slight tap or maybe even a very light knock. Kind of like a "wearing" not worn bottom end or lifter tap. Its a sound that most people wouldn't hear or pay attention to.and so far seems normal and related to normal wear. It does disappear shortly after initial notice. I just have to go for a drive in my old 83 idi diesel to appreciate a modern diesel!s refined drivability, ha.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
Please let me know if you guys are unable to open the short video. If so, I'll try a different way to post it.

Thanks again.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
little difficult to hear from video but I would suspect starter pinion is lazy in retracting OR DMF rattle. Former, you would want to replace ASAP before it chews up your ring gear. Latter, depends on severity...do you hear it when warm and idling?

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
So far don't notice anything that I am SURE is out of the ordinary after the first couple of seconds. I'd probably need to hear another CR to remind myself what constitutes normal on these.

I do know the starter was replaced right before I bought it by an unknown brand, so it could be starter related. I have a mechanics stethoscope on order so hoping I can further narrow noise location down.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I do know the starter was replaced right before I bought it by an unknown brand, so it could be starter related. I have a mechanics stethoscope on order so hoping I can further narrow noise location down.
well, let's hope it isn't an Oreilly's special. garbage.