Headlichts electrics

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
So my B4 police car is almost done, but I need to wire in a High beams flasher unit. This unit makes the High beams flash when you turn the lightbar/siren on.
Schematics show one wire marked as going to the high beam relay, another to the normal lights relay (so if you turn your lights on at night, the high beam flasher is disabled.).
Trouble is, AFAIK there are no relays in the B4 for the headlights? How would you wire this?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Haven’t seen you around, there’s parts….

I suppose they’d expect toy to add the relay. Is this an OE or aftermarket part?

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Had a house to remodel :) but now back on the Passat for the last bits.
There's a relay in the box, so I guess relays aren't needed. But I know nothing about the headlicht wiring. Where would I splice these 2 wires (high beams and normal lights) in? Somewhere around the switch? It's a German aftermarket module specifically for emergency vehicles

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Long story short, I'm looking for a single wire that activates the high beams, and a single wire for the normal lights. And since I'm in Europe, probably best to mention I have a euroswitch.

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
The wires you need are in the dip/main beam switch as the wire splits to feed the left and right circuits through the fuses F1 & F2 for dip & F11, F12 for main beam

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Euro switch shouldn’t make any difference, since you only want high/low. I don’t understand why you want low… you just want the highs to alternate, correct? That’s all your diagram mentions.… I can kind of figure out what they’re doing.

I’d pull the switch and look for yellow and white. Yellow, will be low and white will be high. There may be 2 of each, since there are 2 separate circuits. if so, I’d imagine one set will have a tracer stripe, to identify. I wired my low beams to turn on, when I disarm my aftermarket alarm/remote starter. I’m sure I tied in, at the switch. I probably just added a jumper to connect both lights.

Getting acquainted with a voltmeter will help you, in these situations.

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Thanks! I need the low wire as the system is designed to disable when the lows are on. It's a safety thing. (Blinking) highs are dangerous at night.

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
Like i said, the wires split after the indicator switch to enable the left and right to be fused individually

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Found these colours on the switch plug:
Grey/green
Grey/red
Black/yellow
Grey/black
Grey/yellow
Grey/blue
Red
White/black
Brown
Grey/Blue

So the white/black is the low beam activation wire? And the high beam activation wire is a white one coming from the stalk on the steering column I presume?
Also read on T4-wiki.de that when using the steering column stalk, the lows can't turn on if the highs are permanently engaged, they can only turn on when using the high flasher:

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Like i said, the wires split after the indicator switch to enable the left and right to be fused individually
So this should be correct? Take the white wire (WS) from the steering column stalk for the high beams, and the black/white wire (WS SW) from the light switch for the low beams?