Has fuel, won't start?

TDI4evah

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
My son has a 2000 TDI that's been in the family since new.

Six months ago we upgraded it with 1019 injectors, VNT17 turbo, and a tune from Malone. A couple of months ago, twice, he drove it to work in the morning, and at break time (mid afternoon) it wouldn't start. Both times he went out every hour or two to try it, and it eventually started normally.

It was brutally hot those days, and I attributed it somehow to the heat.

It started fine and ran normally before and since. The battery is good and the starter turns the engine over at a good clip. I've seen TDI's start at many fewer RPM when cold.

Yesterday it happened again, except it wasn't that hot. At 9 PM it was in the 60's and it still wouldn't start. This morning it wouldn't start. Thinking it couldn't be getting fuel, I cracked the nuts on several of the injectors, cranked it over, and fuel sprayed out, but perhaps not as strongly as I've seen it in the past. It seemed like it was going to start on the one or two cylinders the injectors weren't cracked on, but didn't even offer a cough when the injector lines were tightened back up.

Any ideas?

TDI4evah

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
relay 109?

Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner. I was fortunate to have one on the shelf from an old Golf I stripped. Popped it in and the car started right up.

Thanks to all! What a fantastic site!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner. I was fortunate to have one on the shelf from an old Golf I stripped. Popped it in and the car started right up.

Thanks to all! What a fantastic site!
Yeah, some really great folks here!:)

What was the color of the relay that you yanked out?

FYI - I carry a spare 109 in both my cars, along with a diagram of where it's located (just in case one pukes on my wife she can get someone to quickly deal with it).