Grr during oil change at dealer

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
gforce1108 said:
I would fight them on the charges. You told them what you wanted and they did something else. If they had a concern, they should have told you before they did the work, not after.

Mine only goes to the dealer for recalls and the one instruction is do not wash it! They wash all the cars for free with a nice dirty broom looking thing...
Just went through this on the Beetle. It was in for replacing the sunroof which is what they said it needed to stop the rain leak getting driver side floor carpet soaked, adn they did a courtesy wash. We now have some noticeable long curving swirl marks on the hood. I'll have to try to buff it out now. :mad:

TDI
2004 golf
SootFoot said:
Just went through this on the Beetle. It was in for replacing the sunroof which is what they said it needed to stop the rain leak getting driver side floor carpet soaked, adn they did a courtesy wash. We now have some noticeable long curving swirl marks on the hood. I'll have to try to buff it out now. :mad:
between dirty wash mitts, brooms (as previously stated), old crappy filthy chamois, and buckets that arent changed often enough, the dealership car wash is the dark colored cars worst enemy. The thing I have seen during my time there, would make you cringe.

Imagine a brand new black benz, filthy as can be, just being driven through a "soft cloth" wash machine without even spraying it down first... Swirl marks looked like 3-d holograms!

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
SootFoot said:
Just went through this on the Beetle. It was in for replacing the sunroof which is what they said it needed to stop the rain leak getting driver side floor carpet soaked, (snip)
__. Not even mentioning your paint damage, did you get kissed on the needless sunroof replacement??????

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
mrGutWrench said:
__. Not even mentioning your paint damage, did you get kissed on the needless sunroof replacement??????
nah, it was all covered by the warranty. Still some warranty time left. I questioned that it would be the sunroof getting the floorbaord carpet wet, but they said it is a known issue on Beetle sunroofs, and it runs down the A pillars and ends up on the floor, even if the drains are clear of debris. VoA apparently agreed. We had some rain the other night and the carpet is dry so maybe it worked. Time will tell. HOWEVER, (since you got me started :) ) they did not replace the carpet which smells musty, pretty strongly so. They said VoA would not authorize replacing the carpet until customer had the car back with the new sunroof for awhile. That was a head scratcher to me, but we'll wait a month and when the carpet still smells we'll hit them up again for carpet replace or adequately sanitize the odor out.

Last edited:

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
mparker326 said:
At least they didn't put Syntec in it like most do.
Yup,,,, that's what my dealer did/does. When questioned about it they informed that the bottle says it "meets" spec.

Interesting in the same conversation where they said I was crazy to go 10k on the oil changes, they told me that the trans fluid will never need to be changed. "Even if the car hits 200k?" Them, "Nope, never needs to be changed"

IDIOTS!!!!!

aloser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
So they don't trust their own work?

SootFoot said:
nah, it was all covered by the warranty. Still some warranty time left. I questioned that it would be the sunroof getting the floorbaord carpet wet, but they said it is a known issue on Beetle sunroofs, and it runs down the A pillars and ends up on the floor, even if the drains are clear of debris. VoA apparently agreed. We had some rain the other night and the carpet is dry so maybe it worked. Time will tell. HOWEVER, (since you got me started :) ) they did not replace the carpet which smells musty, pretty strongly so. They said VoA would not authorize replacing the carpet until customer had the car back with the new sunroof for awhile. That was a head scratcher to me, but we'll wait a month and when the carpet still smells we'll hit them up again for carpet replace or adequately sanitize the odor out.
Hmmm ...... won't replace the musty carpet until you've had the new sunroof for awhile.

Sounds like they are not sure they fixed it and don't want to replace the carpet twice (or more times).

angrytom

TDI
'02 jetta ALH
why so much hatered to the dealership.i'm a dealer tech,not parts changer,and at our dealership we don't have 507.if you want 507,you supply the 507.the tech bulliten is about 5 pages long and lists all compatible oils.i'll try to post the link tomorrow at work.we put 505.01 in all PD's and fsi gas engines.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
SootFoot said:
(snip) VoA would not authorize replacing the carpet until customer had the car back with the new sunroof for awhile. That was a head scratcher to me, but we'll wait a month and when the carpet still smells we'll hit them up again for carpet replace or adequately sanitize the odor out.
__. OK, I'll live with the idea that they want to wait to be sure that there won't be more water coming in. I can't believe that they'd be stupid enough to think that it's going to get better (esp with the hot days of summer just coming on).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
angrytom said:
why so much hatered to the dealership.i'm a dealer tech,not parts changer,and at our dealership we don't have 507.if you want 507,you supply the 507.the tech bulliten is about 5 pages long and lists all compatible oils.i'll try to post the link tomorrow at work.we put 505.01 in all PD's and fsi gas engines.
Alot here have had very bad experiences with their dealer and it seems widespread. This doesn't mean that one or two particular dealers aren't good though. I'll bet your dealership should have 507 as I understand the new TDI 2.0 CR will require it. Some of us have already switched to the new oil. Why can't the dealers be on the cutting edge instead of behind the 8 ball. You may be the exception to the rule, I hope so.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
rixtory said:
I very firmly explained that I am not here to buy anything, but to receive the warranty service that I paid dearly for when buying a new vehicle (It is never a free ride).
Exactly, factory warranties are not free, their cost is included in the purchase price.

angrytom

TDI
'02 jetta ALH
sadly our dealer is not up to par as it should be,we lack certain special tools,let alone oil.i'm sorry if my reply came off as harsh or too much on the defensive,i see where you are coming from though.its just frustrating that because my dealer has a bad reputation,mine as well as several other compitent people has to suffer to.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Revolutionary_mind said:
IIRC, the new 505.01 comes in black bottles, no longer grey bottled TXT.

I had a parts guy admit to me, "we dont know about cars, parts, we just give the technicians the parts they ask for"

Reminds me the the salesman telling my cousin her 15 inch avus stock wheels were "GTI rims".... after I told her NOT to go to that ripoff dealer.
That salesman might not have been completely off base.. There were some of the cheap MK4 GTI's that had 15" Avus wheels... I didn't really believe it either, but I was proven wrong on that more than once...

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
angrytom said:
Your dealer MUST carry VW507.00 due to the requirement of the T-Reg TDI to use it.

VW507.00 is a higher quality base stock thus has better durability when used in extended service intervals. VW507.00 is approved by VW to go as long as 30,000 miles or 50,000 Kilometers between changes when used in conjunction with the oil quality sensor:

Also you should have the system built into the ECU is activated using VAG-Com.

An alternate method is to use a By-pass filter and establish a suitable oil change interval using oil analysis for your type of driving. 15,000 or more miles can easily be achieved in most cases. If you drive mostly highway 20,000+ is possible and still have wear rates at very low levels (>5 ppm fe/1K).

VW507.00/504.00 is also intended for the highest performance engines VW makes including all diesel engines PD and CRI.

DB

Last edited:

angrytom

TDI
'02 jetta ALH
we don't carry it.thats not to say that we won't once we recieve common rails,and as for the v-10 tdi,we sold 1 and have not seen that vehicle in for service since it was sold.kind of pathetic when i sit back and look at it.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
Why would anyone go to the dealer for an oil change or maintenance? The dealership used the correct oil in this case as there are no extended oil changes recommended in N. America. I wonder when the 505.01 and 506.01 oils will go away.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
Drivbiwire said:
Your dealer MUST carry VW507.00 due to the requirement of the T-Reg TDI to use it.

VW507.00 is a higher quality base stock thus has better durability when used in extended service intervals. VW507.00 is approved by VW to go as long as 30,000 miles or 50,000 Kilometers between changes when used in conjunction with the oil quality sensor:

Also you should have the system built into the ECU is activated using VAG-Com.

An alternate method is to use a By-pass filter and establish a suitable oil change interval using oil analysis for your type of driving. 15,000 or more miles can easily be achieved in most cases. If you drive mostly highway 20,000+ is possible and still have wear rates at very low levels (>5 ppm fe/1K).

VW507.00/504.00 is also intended for the highest performance engines VW makes including all diesel engines PD and CRI.

DB
So if the 505.01 is listed as a 15000 KM (9320 mile) oil should be changed every 9000 not 10000 as per the book. I have been running 507.00 Total/Elf since 5k miles and I feel much more comfortable with the 10000 mile intervals specified in the book.

On another note DB do you have part numbers for the oil pan/oil sensor that would be used on the PD tdi in europe?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
06SpiceRedTDI said:
So if the 505.01 is listed as a 15000 KM (9320 mile) oil should be changed every 9000 not 10000 as per the book. I have been running 507.00 Total/Elf since 5k miles and I feel much more comfortable with the 10000 mile intervals specified in the book.
10k-mile OCI is a recommendation, but every car is different. Based on used-oil analysis, some owners change oil earlier, some can go longer. If the oil tests very good at 10k, then it's okay to extend to 12k or maybe longer.

For most TDI owners who don't test, 10k miles or 15k kilometers are nice round numbers that are usually pretty safe OCI.

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
I have been doing 10,000 mile OCI's on 505.01. Planning to use 507 for next change, may extend OCI to 12,000 miles on the 507.