Green Diesel

Dorsal1

TDI
2 golfs
Hi guys, currently in the Phoenix area and getting fuel that seems to be bio contaminates. Drained my tank twice and have used biocides but no help. Not able to go more than 200 miles or less before fuel filter change. Anyone else out there running into this?? 2002 tdi golf. Thanks in advance

Dorsal1

TDI
2 golfs
No different stations, seems like everyone gets it from one large tank. I have a diesel truck same green fuel when I pump it out. Truck does better but does have a fuel bypass in filter system

Dorsal1

TDI
2 golfs
FWIW I've been a member on this site for many years, new computer, and tried to log in but old info couldn't be found. I've been my own mechanic for many years with the help of this site. this one has me scratching my head and pulling out my hair.

Dorsal1

TDI
2 golfs
I have not approached them on this yet. I'm trying to find info on who the main suppler for the area is. I have tried 4 different brands, all the same green when I pump out and you can see the green in the filters when I change out. I'm thinking storage over water and only one supplier for the area. Very frustrating.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What is everyone else in the area doing if you are having all of these fuel problems? If there aren't others it more than likely isn't the fuel.

Dorsal1

TDI
2 golfs
I'm not sure what everyone else is doing which was one of the reason for the post. Mine is a VE, not that many of us around out west it seems. I thought about calling the local dealer but usually they are 0 help. When I do swap out the filter it runs great for a couple of hundred then will die, sucks the remaining fuel out of the filter. Getting really good at changing the filter, priming etc by the side of the road.
What is everyone else in the area doing if you are having all of these fuel problems? If there aren't others it more than likely isn't the fuel.
[/QUO

Dorsal1

TDI
2 golfs
What I have done, is pump out the tank, blow all the lines, wipe the tank dry with a biocide, add the biocide to the fuel. Sent the pump to the gurus in Portland about 2 years ago for new seals and a check up, they said it was almost new condition, 25K on it since then. Don't think it's the pump. I just can't imagine what else. Thanks for ANY thoughts

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sounds like you aren't getting fuel from the tank for some reason. Some have had the input from the tank get clogged IIRC. Clipped the end off or cleaned it IIRC. Air leak somewhere between the filter and tank letting it drain back maybe? Also a lift pump add on available if that is needed or wanted.

Reddogg12

TDI
1998 Vw Beetle TDI 259,000 miles 2006 Jetta TDI, 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
I have purchased green colored diesel fuel in Tennessee from the standard pumps and didn't have any issues. I have had bio contaminates in my Beetle and my Duramax but the stuff that came out was Black Slime not green. On my Beetle I treated it with Power Service to kill it and then clean the tank and pickup basket. The basket was full of it. Also Changed filters. No trouble since. I always buy from a busy fuel stop that has high turnover.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
not a big demand for diesel here in the valley. many places don't even have it.
i always buy from one of the big names from peoria to scottsdale and all places in between and haven't had any issues. i have noticed the green tinge when changing filters (at regularly scheduled times) and never thought twice about it.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I've had all colors of fuel. Usually now locally it's almost a bright yellow. Used to be green often. Yes, even had red.
A VE ALH will run fuel that the newer vehicles won't tolerate, so unless there are diesel vehicles stalled and lining the roads all around (I was just all over Scottsdale, Carefree, Avondale, and all points between a month ago for a couple weeks but driving gas vehicles) and saw no abnormal vehicle/trucks stranded.
I seriously (very seriously) doubt there is an area fuel problem. Not saying you don't have an issue of some sort, but doubt it's a fuel supplier issue. There would be HPFP equipped vehicles in the shops backed up for months. Go to a few (truck) repair shops or Ford/GM dealships and ask them.

Dorsal1

TDI
2 golfs
Thanks for all the replies. Lightflyer I did replace the tank pick up last tank cleaning and did not see anything wrong with the old one. I'm thinking you are correct regarding a line issue. It did it again yeaterday and for the first time puked out some fuel in engine bay, now we're getting somewhere. Thanks Jetta, That's one of the reasons I love my VE's they will run on almost anything and I have not seen down vehicles everywhere.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I fueled up the Jetta yesterday afternoon here in northern MN. Holiday station that has a sign at the pump that says the fuel is "winterized/treated" to -30*F thru March. Color had a definite greenish tinge.

Last edited:

Dorsal1

TDI
2 golfs
I don't know if we get the winterized stuff here in AZ, probably. I think I'm going to stop chasing the green "bugs". It quit the other day right in front of the house and I saw fuel dripping from the harmonic balancer. Me thinks I have an air leak and slowly losing prime. I think I will take Lightflers's idea and drop in a lift pump, might even help me find the problem. Does anyone know off the top of their heads if I need to provide more electrical power to do this? I only have the 2 small wires for fuel level sensor. I guess I'm now looking for one. Guess I need to go over to 101 page. Thanks all.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Please send a pic of your fuel filter, it can't possibly be plugged after only 100 miles.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Park the car someplace else. Somone is probably messing with your car. No way, I have never ever heard of or seen such a fast clogging in anyway other than the typical rusted out tank on old cars.
Diesel is usually a bit blue anywyas. You sure it's an issue from the pump? Talk to anyone yet? Stay arou d the pump and ask people who are using it!