Gli - tdi

Brosaki

TDI
06 Golf 1.9 BEW
Thinking about trading my tdi for a gli that has 200k (mk4) if i were to buy an alh how hard would it be to put in the gli with 6 speed transmission? Just want to know what im getting into before i do it, only trading because i want something with more power and alittle more fun for now

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You wouldn't want that 6sp anyway, it wouldn't do the ALH any favors, and the 02J is a better box than the 02M to begin with.

You didn't say which engine the GLI has, it could be the up-tuned AWP 1.8t same as the GTI and NB Turbo S, or it could be cursed with the 2.8L 24v BDF VR6. The 1.8t if properly cared for will last a good long time (really, possibly as long as any TDI, it'll just use more fuel). The VR6 on the other hand, if it has made it to 200k without puking its chains or filling one of the cam phaser housings with schrapnel, that is a miracle. You could not give me one of those turds. Nothing is fun on a tow truck.

In any case, with minor mods you can make the BEW run right alongside either of those engines. Even with one less gear.

Brosaki

TDI
06 Golf 1.9 BEW
What mods? Not sure where to begin with the bew feel like aftermarket stuff is hard to find and more expensive than the alh, and the gli is a 1.8t