Getting another TDI

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
Just wondering what year would be best to purchase between 2011 and 2015. Wanting to tow it behind my motorhome. Also Jetta or Golf. Finding Jetta’s with 20,000 to 90,000 miles around $9000. to $19000.

thanks and have a great day.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Is your budget $9000 or $19000? That's a pretty wide spread.
You will get more value from a used Jetta VS. a Golf since the Golfs tend to hold their value better. There is very little practical difference between the years, so go for a lower mileage car (within your budget) that makes you happy.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is a HUGE difference. "2011-2015 Jetta or Golf" includes four different platforms, two different engine families.

2011-2015 NCS Jetta sedan
2011-2014 A5 (facelifted) Jetta wagon
2011-2014 A6 Golf
2015 A7 Golf and Golf wagon

All the 2011-14 cars use the same CJAA engine
2015 NCS uses the CVCA engine
2015 Golf uses the CRUA engine

2015 engines have SCR, the others do not.

They all use the same manual 6sp gearbox, or the same DSG 6sp automatic.

You did not specify how you want to tow it. Dinghy towing will require a manual gearbox. Dolly towing you can use either.

The NCS is the cheapest and lightest. The most plentiful on the used market, too, as they sold the most. However the Golf hatchback would be the shortest, and the most "practical" for running errands, as it can swallow larger things if necessary. It is also a nicer, better built, better contented car. It also costs more, and is not as common here.

Either of the wagons would obviously be more practical, but it will of course be longer and heavier.

I *think* the A7s got some weight reduction, but much of that may have come from the return to an older type twist beam rear axle instead of the IRS setup the A5 and A6 had. This was to make room for the DEF tank.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
2015 NCS uses the CVCA engine
2015 Golf uses the CRUA engine.......
Other than changes for packaging in different chassis are there any "operating" differences CVCA vs. CRUA?

oilhammer

TDI
Not that I am aware of, but they are really still so new and so rare that I have not had much experience with them.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
Ok. Thanks!
Monday I’m going to find the lowest mileage VW I can find and get a dolly. So far lowest mileage in my area is 23,000. There is one new one but I’m not doing $29,000.00 for a 2015!
This will definitely be cheaper than cruising around in my F-150 and easier than towing it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I'm not following the logic here....
Why look for a low milage specimen when you will just rack up miles on it while dragging it along? Get a cheapy, high milage unit that's been maintained.
Why a TDI? You will be driving very little, and mostly running around doing basic shopping, short trips and errands.... a TDI will cost you more in failed emission components than it will safe you in MPGs (even if all repairs are free and covered under TDI fix, you won't like having to waste your time taking it to the dealer, etc. and having it interfere with your RVing)
If you really want a TDI, I'd look for a pre '09 so that you don't have all the DPF systems to deal with.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
Miles don’t add while towing. Not a chance to get to a dealership yet. Have been thinking about maybe a Honda Accord but also not sure about dolly towing. Sometimes camping spaces are small. Can’t back up the dolly, have to unhook and man handle.
Tough to find high mpg cars that can be four down flat towed.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I don't understand the high MPG requirement. You're driving and RV and dragging along another vehicle... MPG when cruising in said vehicle is a drop in a bucket compared to the combo MPG so just about any 4cyl gas econobox would fit the bill.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My question is can I flat tow my 10 JSW with the DSG? Or even broader, can I flat tow any VW?

I'd rather not use a dolly or trailer behind the RV but understand I'm really trading one thing for the other. I may end up taking the 05 Corolla back from my daughter just to use as a tow vehicle.

oilhammer

TDI
You cannot flat tow a DSG without the engine running. You can flat tow any manual gearbox just fine, it won't care.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I found more info after asking but thanks for putting it plainly. Need to convince the wife that we need to find a manual wagen.