fuel door sensor?

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Does our vehicles have a "fuel door ajar" sensor? First time ever, forgot to put cap and close door after fueling yesterday. When I saw it on my driveway, I thought someone was trying to steal my fuel since my doors were locked. I put the cap back on and closed the fuel door only to find out it doesn't lock. After a few tries, it eventually locked. Luckily I caught it before it started to rain.

So, is there a sensor that tells us whether the fuel door is open or gas cap is not installed (honda used to throw a CEL)?

--Ryan

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No diesel has (or needs) an evaporative emissions control system.

Normally, the fuel door locks with the central locking, but this varies model to model. Owner's manual may have more info on your particular car.

Note: fuel CAP and fuel DOOR are two different things. You could take the CAP off, of any TDI, and throw it in the trash and the car would never, ever know (unless water got in the tank or something... there is no system for that).

The fuel DOOR, on some models, has a little latch that closes with the central locking, but it has no feedback that I am aware of, to alert you to the fuel door being left open.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
No diesel has (or needs) an evaporative emissions control system.

Normally, the fuel door locks with the central locking, but this varies model to model. Owner's manual may have more info on your particular car.

Note: fuel CAP and fuel DOOR are two different things. You could take the CAP off, of any TDI, and throw it in the trash and the car would never, ever know (unless water got in the tank or something... there is no system for that).

The fuel DOOR, on some models, has a little latch that closes with the central locking, but it has no feedback that I am aware of, to alert you to the fuel door being left open.

Thank you, your description matches what I experienced. I think the fuel door lock on my car doesn't work 100% of time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
best bet is to disconnect the locking mechanism, otherwise it'll be locked at the worst time, when you're trying to put fuel in with 10 miles till empty, then you'll get all hulk at the plastic door and rip it off.

As oil hammer mentioned the mechanism has zero feed back so 100% of the time if its stuck locked you'll never know, also the constant locking and unlocking (auto lock at 10MPH is the wurst) just wears out the frail electromechanical system.