Fuel additive mix ratio

Mokillian

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
New to the TDI world. I have been told to use fuel additive to help lubricant the system. I am curious about the mixing ratio. On a full tank 14.5 gallons how much additive should I use?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Welcome to the TDI Club.

I seldom do additives. However, seems the bottles have options (ratios) on the label. Some of the additives provide anti-gelling as well as lube properties.

Some folks do 2-cyle oil for lube purposes.

Be patient, others will chime-in.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I typically splash in a bit with a funnel....some people get really anal about it, just pick one you like that does the things that worry you. Typically getting a big bottle and a small one works so you can refill it and save a few $... Just check the bottle for the recommended ratio...then decide if being exactly correct vs quick and easy makes sense.... typically most addictives are fine or even beneficial up to 2x or even 100% (knew a mechanic that would prefill new fuel filters with 100% power service to ensure a good startup on HD trucks, and boy, the first couple miles they ran great).
I use power service.... typically white as an anitgel with lube and a water/moisture control agent.
The silver "summer" version is good stuff too IMHO, but just like toilet paper, there are numerous options at numerous price points.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
My (unpopular) opinion is "Don't ever use an additive". I never have and have owned/driven Diesels for many years. Everything you need is already in the fuel.
Having spent a decade at one point driving a tractor trailer...I would disagree. Seasonally fuel changes and sometimes you get a batch that's out of season, has sat or has other issues. Fuel filters get changed much more regularly, especially in northeio America when dealing with diesel fuel because often the individual stations have issues with storage or lack of selling enough volume to keep it fresh, clean and in season.
An ounce of prevention...less than a dollar can save a person much grief.

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
I typically splash in a bit with a funnel....some people get really anal about it, just pick one you like that does the things that worry you. Typically getting a big bottle and a small one works so you can refill it and save a few $... Just check the bottle for the recommended ratio...then decide if being exactly correct vs quick and easy makes sense.... typically most addictives are fine or even beneficial up to 2x or even 100% (knew a mechanic that would prefill new fuel filters with 100% power service to ensure a good startup on HD trucks, and boy, the first couple miles they ran great).
I use power service.... typically white as an anitgel with lube and a water/moisture control agent.
The silver "summer" version is good stuff too IMHO, but just like toilet paper, there are numerous options at numerous price points.
Could not agree with this more, I use the same stuff, and just slosh however much comes out into the tank. Since it can run with no additive, or run on straight additive, in my mind you can do no wrong... you have the added bonus that if you are ever about to run out of fuel, dump the rest in and it will whisk you off to that petrol station just on the horiƶon. I also prefill filters with the PS

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
I like Hot Shots Secret EDT (no financial incentive) because it comes in a squeeze bottle. It says 1-2oz/25 gallons. I usually just use 1oz at fill up (~16.5 gallons).
How much does it cost? I always used Lucas fuel treatment . Now its twice the price so I stopped using it. Think I'll go to two stroke . Would regular or synthetic be better ?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Howe's user here. Cheap insurance, mix to rates on bottle. My buddy who was against antigel etc, now agrees that it is cheap insurance after he gelled up a few years ago... I rescued him on the side of the road, temps in the single digits.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
~$18 a bottle, so under $1.15/fill up the way I use it.
Damn I must be a cheap bastard, haha. But I do buy quality toilet paper with a picture of Joe Biden on each sheet . I think Lucas is 12.00 now. and I used it every other tank when it was half price. Well My Johnson 140 Looper on my boat is a two stroke so I think I'll just throw a little two stroke synthetic in the ol TDI when Im mixing fuel for the boat.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, as I stated in Post #2, I seldom do additives.
I've been driving VW Diesels 44 years. I've only had one incident of a fuel freeze-up.
I sit beside the road for about 20 minutes. The heat from the engine thawed the congealed/frozen fuel mix.
I've likely not used a total of one gallon of all additives in 1.7 million miles.
No, we don't see consistent freezing temps as you folks farther north, but we just about always have temps below zero F every winter.
And, I've never had an IP to bite the dust other than one on a 1.6 engine that had been fed Waste Vegetable Oil by the PO.

But, no doubt lube additives are worth the cost and aggravation to add them.. Circumstances and logic should prevail when weather is the factor.
Oh, and a year after owning that first VW diesel, I quit periodically draining water out the bottom of the filter because I hardly ever got more than a drop or two.

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
I've been using Hotshot's EDT for the past couple years just because I know it's a good product and lots of folks recommend it. With our picky fuel systems in the CJAA's its worth it for the peace of mind. Can I actually tell its working? Not really, but it doesn't bother me to squeeze a bottle and pour in an ounce of an additive when I go to fill up.
Granted I've since swapped in a CP3 HPFP so I'm a lot better off, but I'll continue to use additives anyways because they surely cant hurt.
I always make sure to fill up at busy/trusted stations though (which doesn't always prevent bad fuel, but its safer).

But anyways, there's always going to be debate on this topic, when it comes down to it, do whatever you feel comfortable with. If using a good additive will help you sleep better at night knowing you've done that one extra step as preventative maintenance then by all means do it.
There's a lot of science in additives and its a massive industry, Hotshot's does a good job of showing/proving theirs works which is why I prefer it.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I like Hot Shots Secret EDT (no financial incentive) because it comes in a squeeze bottle. It says 1-2oz/25 gallons. I usually just use 1oz at fill up (~16.5 gallons).
Hmm I've been wanting a handy little bottle like that, maybe I'll pick one of those up and refill it.
I've been using Stanadyne recently, "Performance Formula" or some such thing, have several jugs of it as it was on sale.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Hmm I've been wanting a handy little bottle like that, maybe I'll pick one of those up and refill it.
I've been using Stanadyne recently, "Performance Formula" or some such thing, have several jugs of it as it was on sale.
I setup a small Stabil bottle for Donna to use. It can be squeezed from the main body to the spout. That way she can get the proper amount set for how much fuel will go in the tank

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
It is my understanding that the way they refine diesel now removes some of the lubricating properties from the fuel. Therefore adding a fuel additive is to replace that loss of lubrication.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is my understanding that the way they refine diesel now removes some of the lubricating properties from the fuel. Therefore adding a fuel additive is to replace that loss of lubrication.
Yes, about mid-2005, EPA regs required the refining process to reduce sulphur from 500 parts per million to 15 ppm. So, yes, that one aspect of lube in diesel fuel has been drastically reduced going on 19 years (no more clogged intakes)

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, about mid-2005, EPA regs required the refining process to reduce sulphur from 500 parts per million to 15 ppm. So, yes, that one aspect of lube in diesel fuel has been drastically reduced going on 19 years (no more clogged intakes)
I setup a small Stabil bottle for Donna to use. It can be squeezed from the main body to the spout. That way she can get the proper amount set for how much fuel will go in the tank
Add a little Chicken Lube to every tank

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
There's no real reason to add any lubrication to the fuel at this point. The old systems that had issues were repaired with superior components or just junked for newer engines/equipment. Most pumps and injectors were already transitioning to pd/or common rail by that point and already had higher quality materials in use to withstand the higher injection pressures. So the "loss" of sulfur wasn't a great loss, as it wasn't really needed to begin with.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
It doesn't need it. The issues were all within a few years of the fuel change. Lots of pumps and injectors replaced then it went back to business as usual. We predominantly saw old equipment and trucks(semi trucks) with the issues. Just didn't see newer equipment having issues. It's not like the mfgs didn't see it coming down the pike either, it took years to get it through legislation and we knew years before it was implemented, so just about all the late 90's- early 2000's systems didn't have major issues. Sure injector needle/seats may wear a bit faster. But that's unavoidable and not a lube issue. It's a material quality issue, which really hasn't shown to be a major issue without high miles/hours.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
There's no real reason to add any lubrication to the fuel at this point. The old systems that had issues were repaired with superior components or just junked for newer engines/equipment. Most pumps and injectors were already transitioning to pd/or common rail by that point and already had higher quality materials in use to withstand the higher injection pressures. So the "loss" of sulfur wasn't a great loss, as it wasn't really needed to begin with.
I digress

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
After 20 years and well over a million km on straight diesel with no issues I don't see a need to mess with additives.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
I digress
Nah, pretty much on topic. Use it, don't use it, most wouldn't every know of it did any good for better or worse. Been around lots of high hour/mile equipment that came in for overhaul with 10,000+ hours on them with original fuel systems never had a drop of any sort of additives used on them. Tried all sorts of stuff out over the years, some seemed to help improve milage a little, some you'd never know if there was any difference. I still use an additive over winter, occasionally some sort of fuel system cleaner, more often then anything treat my bulk fuel with a biocide but my truck and tdi don't get anything regularly added, and certainly not worried about lubrication.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
It doesn't need it. The issues were all within a few years of the fuel change. Lots of pumps and injectors replaced then it went back to business as usual. We predominantly saw old equipment and trucks(semi trucks) with the issues. Just didn't see newer equipment having issues. It's not like the mfgs didn't see it coming down the pike either, it took years to get it through legislation and we knew years before it was implemented, so just about all the late 90's- early 2000's systems didn't have major issues. Sure injector needle/seats may wear a bit faster. But that's unavoidable and not a lube issue. It's a material quality issue, which really hasn't shown to be a major issue without high miles/hours.
Ok fair enough. I think I'll keep running it though, especially in my 12 valve.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And, the majority of folks are really anal about changing the fuel filter anytime there is a starting issue........... I get it 100%.
But, without all the details and I've posted this a few times over the last 15 years, my brother never changed the OE fuel filter on his 2001 Jetta TDI until it had over 171k miles on it with no problems. I have no reason to lie or stretch the truth. 90% of those miles were driven commuting to/from his work northeast of Atlanta. I have no clue where he purchased his fuel.

Also, as I've stated twice in this Thread, I seldom do additives. Additives for when weather is dictating is fine and very logical. Lubrication additives are fine too! ... whatever makes you happy!

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
And, the majority of folks are really anal about changing the fuel filter anytime there is a starting issue........... I get it 100%.
But, without all the details and I've posted this a few times over the last 15 years, my brother never changed the OE fuel filter on his 2001 Jetta TDI until it had over 171k miles on it with no problems. I have no reason to lie or stretch the truth. 90% of those miles were driven commuting to/from his work northeast of Atlanta. I have no clue where he purchased his fuel.

Also, as I've stated twice in this Thread, I seldom do additives. Additives for when weather is dictating is fine and very logical. Lubrication additives are fine too! ... whatever makes you happy!
Some people never changed their oil...yet the car runs.....same for struts..etc ..most aren't so lucky