Front mount intercooler

Dallas Stace-smith

TDI
2003 TDI Jetta gls
What are you guys running for front mount intercoolers on your mk4 Alh jettas? If I do this does it change the amount of coolant in the system? Are the kits pretty plug and play or do you need to do fabricating? Should I do the fmic or just upgrade the SMIC?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I almost did a fmic, but ultimately decided against it. You'll get noticeable boost lag due to the added volume, and it's all custom fab. Just do an upgraded smic and motor on, they're more available and are plug and play.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Fmic or bust if your going for over 180hp…
The only time I think there’s more turbo lag with the front mount is when people run big pipes. But if you run a small pipe work you don’t get that problem as noted above. Look at Darkside developments. They’re running I believe 51 mm pipes.

Ironically, I ordered an upgraded side mount intercooler and put together the budget paperwork for a bew and Two days later I was at the wrecking yard and found a euro jet front mount intercooler.

There’s a huge quality difference! Euro jet is very VERY nice.

I have not got a chance to run either one, and I already sent the one back to Amazon, so you can see my bias… I only bought the upgraded side mount intercooler kit to save money knowing id be geting heat soak...there’s some logs showing this

There’s some pretty cool same side mounts that shorten the paperwork and that’s definitely the best available. you can get them from China for about US$300 but you got a wait about two months to get them. And they dont have a bracket for mounting snd I’m sure they are no where where near the quality of the dark side kit.

Last edited:

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I can only speak from exp of the euro jet I found...It was plug and play, but I had to figure it out no instructions and There was a broken lower pipe on the car so that slowed me down. I did remove my forst heater, I could have done a relocatoin work around but the plug needed replacement so screw it. I also have a skid plate and at first I thought it was gonna be cock blocker but nope It just fits...

So, back to fitting, the euro jet has hump connectors. Silocone hoses.net says they give up to 20° adjustment. I can't say it is that much, but they give you what you need.

I have never used one, but Ive seen people say the dark side kit is not exactly plug and play im sure that is rubbish.
People say its not plug and play FMIC cuz it ts not as cut and dry as a turbo install.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
This is the template I used to do my FMIC, it’ll work on a Jetta as well.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I almost did a fmic, but ultimately decided against it. You'll get noticeable boost lag due to the added volume, and it's all custom fab. Just do an upgraded smic and motor on, they're more available and are plug and play.
If it's tuned right and there are no leaks, there will be no boost lag, fyi 🙂

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
ill say, the 1.8t pan cake pipe worked well with a 90 degree reducer and whatever funny bend the euro jet FMIC came with. Looking back i think the ebay kits are not as hard as it looks to fit. One might need an extra 100$ in hoses/fittings, but easily doable , BUT those inter coolers are TRASH at least the side mount one I got was. Shipped it back