Front brakes: How long will they last?

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
I just did the 140K mile service on my car and rotated the tires as well. As a matter of regular inspection, I check the brakes as well. And to my continued amazement, the fronts still have plenty of life left - 50% at least. And the rotors look fine.

I know these cars seem to have a bit of a rear-bias to them (engage the rears slightly before the fronts - verified some by the fact I had to replace the rears earlier this year), but could I actually get 200K out of the OE front brakes? :eek:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I think 200K miles is very possible. I recently performed my first replacement on the fronts in my Golf at 192K miles. The pad and rotor measurements indicated that they could have gone further.

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
jettawreck said:
Especially if you drive conservatively and coast a lot for great mileage!!
Well, I don't know about driving conservatively... my brakes seem to last a long time... but boy to I go through tires... :p

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, Tornado Red (faded), 238,000 miles!
I've got to say I have been quite impressed by the brake system on my car! 113,000 miles, no problem front or back. 95% highway driving though.

737tdi

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Canadian_Grizzly said:
Ian the inside pad tends to wear faster than the outside. Ensure that you look at both sides. Mine lasted almost 200,000 miles.
Yes, I did notice that. Especially on the rears... I remember going, "what the hell is squealing.. the outer pad is fine..." then... "ah..." and even then, the noise actually turned out to be part of the backing plate de-laminating and rubbing the rotor, rather than the pad material being worn away.

But the inner front pads still look good. Slightly thinner than the outer pads, but not bad.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I still have my original front brake pads on my car....at 329,000 miles!! :eek:

Yes, they still stop the car. :D