--> Frequently asked Questions <--

MapleGirl

TDI
TBD
Love the FAQ on maintenance. Is there a spreadsheet somewhere that lists what needs to be done/checked at what mileage/time for the Jetta TDI sedan DSG? I'm looking for something written by and for the anal retentive TDI driver that wants to keep their car running well forever.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
There should be a checklist in your owner's manual.

I have seen some spreadsheets, as well, but do not know the location of the spreadsheets.

The DSG service is every 40k miles.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I need to check the compression in my 2001 TDI. So I need to pick up a diesel compression tester.

Does anyone know what the size the holes are for the glow plugs? And any suggestions as to a good compression tester and where to buy it?

I'd like to pick one up on my way home today if possible.

Last edited:

Liron01

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Drove my new '09 Jetta to work this morning. Sound system sure beats the old Civic! So does the acceleration.
Is that rapid deceleration when you take your foot off the pedal just the high friction of the new diesel engine?

BTW, Sure would have been nice if VW included a DSG service in the 3 yr/36K warranty. Their coverage of everything for three years doesn't amount to much.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
Are you driving in Drive or Sports mode? Also what gears are you referring to? The amount of deceleration experienced in Drive is minimal. So is the deceleration in the higher gears.

Whatever your answers to the above, it is not friction that is causing your deceleration. It would be the compression of the motor that is slowing down the car.

mauriTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, DSG
dang, i would not let them put that castrol crap in my TDI. Either take in your own oil, do it yourself, or go to another dealer. Fortunately the dealer i purchased mine from uses Total 5-30 which used to be Elf and is 507 approved.

electrobent

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MK IV Golf GLS
2006 A4 Golf--I bought a car that is not supposed to exist. I finally bought the manual for a 2005 and it seems right. My car has a BEW and a 09A. Does anyone know why VW still made A4 Golfs in 2006?

midairmark

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Does anyone know the specifications on the clutch disk? What is the thickness (tolerance) that it is recommended to be replaced?

Thanks,
Mark

denis012345

TDI
1997 jetta tdi
Hello everyone,Ihave a jetta tdi 1997 with 400,000 km manuel trans.
the problem is in city driving it a1 but hyway driving at 120 km i lose the boost.to get it back i have to stop on the side of the road and stop the engine and restart to get the boost back.anyone had this problem and what was the solution.
thanks
denis012345

denis012345

TDI
1997 jetta tdi
no boost

denis012345 said:
Hello everyone,Ihave a jetta tdi 1997 with 400,000 km manuel trans.
the problem is in city driving it a1 but hyway driving at 120 km i lose the boost.to get it back i have to stop on the side of the road and stop the engine and restart to get the boost back.anyone had this problem and what was the solution.
thanks
denis012345
By the way there is no check engine light on

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
The service schedule says to check the operation of the automatic shift lock. What is this and how is it checked? Also, on the 10k intervals, is the brake check just a visual inspection of pad thickness?
Finally, how often do tires need to be rotated, the dealer put on brand new tires at 43k when I bought the vehicle used.

wolfshadow

TDI
04 Golf w/greasecar.com conversion
03 and 04 Golf Headlights Compatible?

Looking to replace my 04 Golf headlights and found a stock pair locally from an 03 Golf. Does anyone know if they are compatible?

Taz_2571

TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
lower control arm bushings

:confused: I was wondering if anybody knows what is the size & lenght of the bolts for the bushings (front & rear) in the lower control arm for a JETTA 1999 TDI

Nexus

TDI
Jetta DSG
I have an 09 TDI Jetta and was wondering if the turbo cools down automatically after a drive or should I be letting the engine idle a couple of minutes after a drive to cool off the turbo?

Last edited:

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
I dont know about your cool down time,, Ive read somewhere that if your really driving the car hard it wouldnt hurt to let it just idle and "relax" for a minute or two before shutting it down.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have never had a problem with having to cooldown the turbo, even dragging a trailer. It was always well below 400 degrees prior to engine shutdown, just due to normal coasting and slowing down.

If you were running 110 mph, slammed on the brakes, and pulled over rapidly, then you would probably need to run for a bit to cool it down.

wolfshadow

TDI
04 Golf w/greasecar.com conversion
How To for installing Hella Fogs on Mk4 Golf?

Purchased Hella Mini Fog Kit designed for Jetta, but have been used on MK4 Golfs. Is there a current "How To" to install these on Golfs?

Thanks

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Tempature Question

After driving for a while and gettin the engine warmed to the 190 split. The temp will fall below 190 but not completely down to cold. Is this typical?

I just find it odd to have an engine cool below 190 while consistantly running...

TDI
Seat Leon TDi SE
would PD TDI injectors work in my non PD engine? I'm thinking about getting a hybrid turbo conversion done, and somebody told me I could just save a bit of money and install a PD160 turbo and injectors to my engine and expect to reach around 190bhp with a decent map? A FMIC would probably be necessary then.

My car is a Seat Leon SE TDI, (110hp) ((i think its the same engine as in the Golfs, my engine code is ASV, so I think its equivelent is ALH?)) and Ive currently had it mapped to around 145bhp, but I want more hp! I would love to get 200bhp from my engine but I'm completly lost as what to do next. Thanks

Pappy541

TDI
06 Jetta
I have a 06 TDI jetta with auto transmission ( sealed). It currently has 95,000 miles and within the next month I plan on having the dealer service 1. the trans, fluid and filter for $400
2. change out the timing belt for $1000

Are these prices reasonable?

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Wolfshadow.....As far as I know 98 to 05 MKIV golfs have identical headlights...except for the odd exception...ie fog lights in the headlight on the R32.
Mk4 and MK3 are not compatible.

As for the Jetta fogs....sounds reasonable that they would fit the same generation of Golf. A search for fog light installs on Golfs may help.

Last edited:

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
chirishboy said:
After driving for a while and gettin the engine warmed to the 190 split. The temp will fall below 190 but not completely down to cold. Is this typical?

I just find it odd to have an engine cool below 190 while consistantly running...
By 190 do you mean the center of the temp gauge in the dash? Mine reads 90 in the middle of the gauge.

Diesels don't generate as much heat as gas engines. They won't warm up if idling....but should warm up while driving. Mine always warms up to the point where my gauge moves to the center...90. Once there it doesn't move. Even in cold weather...and it can get real cold here...I've never seen it move from 90 once it's warmed up.

If it's dropping noticeably...especially in hot Texas...you might have a bad temp sensor, or grounding issue.

If you know someone with a VAGCOM they can hook up to your car's computer to see what it shows for temperature. That at least would rule out the temp gauge itself as the problem.
One other thing to check with the VAGCOM....there are a few temp sensors in the car....when the car is cool (hasn't been driven for a while) all the temperatures should read the same (whatever the ambient temperature is). If one is different it needs to be looked at closer.

After that I'd check your battery and the electrical connections.
A bad battery and/or corroded connections can be easily fixed.
And there are two grounds under the battery box that can get really corroded that can cause lots of odd issues....especially with sensors....also a relatively easy fix. (Use warm water and baking soda to clean up any corrosion....or you can buy stuff that does the same thing, just ask at an automotive store. Also the connections should be disassembled, cleaned and put back together. And you can use something like dielectric grease on the connections to help keep them in good order longer.)

Could be other issues too...but this is where I'd start...hope this helps.

PS: The ECU may not throw a CEL (check engine light) unless the error happens a few times. At least as far as I understand it.
And read up on changing car batteries to get the safety info before doing anything with it...they can be dangerous in a few different ways.:)

tomc

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 09 sedan
programming coming home lights on 09 jetta tdi

anybody know how to program the coming home light feature. I get to lights then ok and can,t go any further.

Tommy TDI

TDI
Mk4 Golf TDI
Is there a tutorial anywere on this forum for wing mirror replacement? I realise there are probably some elseware online but i've found the tutorials by TDI club members to be very imformative in the past.

Thanks in advance.

jojomojo

TDI
2004 jetta
192,000 miles in 5 years, and still gettings almost any mpg i want!!!!!! kind of a newbie on site, i saw prices on yesterday for shocks , front rear sets, i also want to replace misc. stuff, mounts..so i can get better mpg, any idea's

jojomojo

TDI
2004 jetta
2004 jetta tdi gls

it would help to know the year make?

2004 jetta gls tdi

also were to buy new hoses, especially fuel lines, and always wanted the gaquges

MateoCalle

TDI
Mk4
TDI Performance

• i was searching a while back and i can across a site that told me what i had to change in my Mk4 if i put .205 injectors and a upsolute chip . does anyone know what the address to that site is I wish i bookmarked it. thank Mateo