For those who have Upgraded to the OEM VW NAVI

Wisconsinwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan
If you hook up GALA you'll have speed sensitive cruise control. You can't hook GALA to the 26 pin connector if you're using the DFA wires because they use the same pins. GALA is not required.

DanielRamirez

TDI
2009 A3 2.0T
I'm confused, I'm seeing in my diagram:

T8/1 (Black Connector, GALA signal) goes to T32/3 (speed signal in the cluster).

Then T26/5 (ABS left) to T47a/10-T47/5-T25/12, green/white cable

And T26/18 (ABS right) to T47a/8-T47/35-T25/21, green/yellow cable.

So I believe the GALA signal will allow the NAVI to increase the volume as speed increases, and the ABS signal for location/navigation purposes.

I won't be connecting T8/1 to T26/5. Now to locate those ABS wires...

sat2825

Veteran Member
Well.. I finally upgraded to the VW Navi Version "D" on Sunday with plans on using it on my trip to Texas...
It worked great up until I got 4 hours south of Chicago..:(
I pulled into a rest area (left the car on even) for 5 mins, pulled back on the highway and the Navi Unit Lost it's position!
It never did find it's position in the remaining 14 hours I was driving..

I checked the GPS Menu and it sais "Unable to Calculate Geographic Position" and it says it was receiving 0 satellites from the 30 available...

This worked fine when I was in Chicago and was using it for 2 days prior to taking this trip..

I have the GPS Antenna mounted behind the instrument cluster on the metal post - as per the Navi Installation Instructions that were posted originally on VWNavi..

Anyone have any ideas what happened here?? The arrow still seems to move when I drive but in completely the wrong directions and the Navi literally has no idea where it is...:((

I do not have a FIS Display or anything.. Just an '01 Jetta stock with standard guages, wheel controls, and Navi version "D" system....

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks guys..

Joe

sat2825

Veteran Member
Well..I just jumped in it again and fired it up (after letting it sit for several hours) and BINGO! I have GPS Signal... So again I drove it around for a bit and it lost it signal and position..

Do these GPS Antenna's go bad by chance?? Is there any possability that this could be Software Related? (ie. Bad Nav. CD's?)

Thanks,
Joe

01TDIMKIV said:
Is it possible your antenna became unseated from the radio unit??

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
BlueCTTDi said:
is it possible the unit was too cold to read the CD?
There are alot of crappy quality CD's being sold out there. If your Navi CD doesn't work when it's cold out, it's a piece of junk. It's got too many write errors. The CD media, CD writer or CD writing software isn't the best available. They all make a difference.

Also, there is an info.txt file on each CD that you can read to see what version of Navteq's database you've got. Don't go by what someone tells your they are, ie 2005, 2006 or even 2007.

There are no 2007 disks out yet. It's always at least 6-months to a year behind. The latest version, 4B is dated to 2006. 3B, the version before that was dated 2005.

So if someone sells you 2007 maps, you're being scammed.

Last edited:

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Wow Tongsli, you really know a lot about the maps, would you know anywhere that I could get some 4B maps that would works with my MFD? Feel free to IM me with details, I'll IM you also.

MagikLair

TDI
GOLF
looking for US navigation CDs...

Hello,
I'm looking for the US navigation CDs for my mfd g. I will also buy any mfd2 dvd units (US).

scubasteve762

TDI
2006 Jetta
hey, i have a 06' jetta and i have retrofitted a dvd mfd2 system. just thought i'd put my name up here incase anybody needs help. somewhere i read that you may have to enable the navi to use the abs sensors via vagcom to improve position accuracy. does anybody know anything about this?

sat2825

Veteran Member
Well.. after going in and configuring the Tire Diameters through the settings, and re-inserting the Nav. CD...the problem seems to have gone away..
I drove all the way from Texas back up to Canada without a problem...

Although, I am a little dissapointed in the Canadian Maps... very little detail...except for major roads..
Alot of the smaller roads aren't even on the Map...
My Handheld Magellan Sportrak Map GPS has more detail on it...:(

Anyone know where it is possible to buy specifically Canadian VW Navi CD's (as 90% of my driving will be in Ontario) and what version to look for?

Thanks again,
Joe

sat2825

Veteran Member
Does anyone here currently have Version 4B?

Thanks,
Joe

tongsli said:
There are alot of crappy quality CD's being sold out there. If your Navi CD doesn't work when it's cold out, it's a piece of junk. It's got too many write errors. The CD media, CD writer or CD writing software isn't the best available. They all make a difference.

Also, there is an info.txt file on each CD that you can read to see what version of Navteq's database you've got. Don't go by what someone tells your they are, ie 2005, 2006 or even 2007.

There are no 2007 disks out yet. It's always at least 6-months to a year behind. The latest version, 4B is dated to 2006. 3B, the version before that was dated 2005.

So if someone sells you 2007 maps, you're being scammed.

Wisconsinwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan
I never did figure out how to configure tire diameters, but I have a G version, don't know if that makes a diference. Also, my Navi is still using the charming British accent software. I tried to load the US software with my Us CDs but it never loaded. Not sure if I didn't use the right CD or if the British accent software is the only software you can get.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Hoffer said:
Now, I checked my A4 wiring diagram. On page six, we see that DFA-L and DFA-R are available on pins T47a/10 and T47a/8, respectively. In addition, the wire colors are green/white and green/yellow. It also says the wires connect in the instrument panel harness. I checked my ABS plug (remove the airbox, remove the little block wiring box, and you should be able to get to your ABS plug). Sure enough, pins 8 and 10 both had wires of the appropriate color. Now to find the other ends.

This was in a US 2003 MkIV Golf. Your mileage may very. But hopefully not too much! ;)
So I someone PM'd me that their ABS controller had a 27 pin plug. Looking at the wiring diagrams for a 1999.5 Jetta, it looks like it has a 25 pin connector on the ABS controller. Let's assume the pin count was off by two. DFA-L/R should be available from pins T25/12 and T25/21 (pins 12 & 21), respectively.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
I've just done this upgrade in my car. I built a plug-n-play cable using a PAC C2R-VW2. This is a neat little box that listens to the CAN bus and provides a number of signals, including VSS and illumination. It also keeps the radio on until I remove the key, just like the stock monsoon.

The only problem I need to solve now is getting the CAN and/or K-line hooked up to the radio so I can use vagcom to code the thing. That's probably next weekend's project.

PassatV6

TDI
None, but someday....
I've done the conversion to my '01 B5 Passat from Monsoon to OEM Navi. D w/ DSP. Also, I have used the ABS signals via the 26-pin connector in lieu of the GALA line.

jettaway03

TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS, 2003, Silver
Is anyone interested in splitting up a set of North American Version 7B CD's? I would only need the some of the east coast and am willing to sell off the rest. PM me if interested.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Is anyone interested in splitting up a set of North American Version 7B CD's? I would only need the some of the east coast and am willing to sell off the rest. PM me if interested.
I might be interested in the left coast stuff if the price is right. You thinking a 50/50 split on the set or a price per disc?

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Oh, and I've done the MFD-G to my '03 GTI, with a DSP amp as well, and have a TMC box waiting in the wings so the navi can chat up the MFA cluster. MFD-GTI-DSP-TMC-MFA; so many letters. The mind boggles... :eek:

s1iver

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GTI GLX VR6
Sent a note on the navi disc's.

I've got a MFD -D in my 00 GTI, using stock monsoon but will be going aftermarket later. Have an FIS cluster to go in, and want to swap in the newer can-bus system.

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
Thread resurrection. I've got some loose wires in the harness that connects my MFD to the car. Two wires which come from the TMC have popped out of the terminal block that goes into the back of the MFD. I can't for the life of me find the original instructions for the wiring. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Thread resurrection. I've got some loose wires in the harness that connects my MFD to the car. Two wires which come from the TMC have popped out of the terminal block that goes into the back of the MFD. I can't for the life of me find the original instructions for the wiring. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Have you hit up VWNavi yet?

jettaway03

TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS, 2003, Silver
Ducmike,
I still haven't bought new cd's mainly b/c I haven't found out if they would work in the mfd-g unit. If they do I'll buy them and split with you if you are interested.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
To the best of my knowledge, the Do-Not-Work-In-The-USA command had been removed a few years ago. Just a matter of buying the CD-update set for an early Touareg.

And yes, I might be interested. When would you be thinking & how did you want to do the split?

tompa99

TDI
Golf Wagon
Alternative map supplier to VW?

Is there an alternative to the VW dealer for updating north American maps on the system? I'm not impressed with the OEM database, not for eastern Canada at any rate. I have a Garmin system on my other car and it is way better. I'd love to have that on my 2011 Golf as well, but garmin does not appear to have anything.

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Turbocharged purchased in Costa Rica.
Man, I though I was the only one still working on this thing. I have mine installed but just as a radio, but now I wanna hook her up fully. My question is do you know where can buy the extension cable to run from the triplex gps antenna on the roof to the back of my MFD 1? From what I gather i need GPS-to-SMB connection?

Last edited: