For those who have Upgraded to the OEM VW NAVI

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
OEM VW NAVI MFD - Resource Thread

I'm trying to get a head count of the TDI folks who have sourced the OEM VW NAVI. I know some of you but would like an accurate list so we can share information on installation and any operational issues.

Sorta like a little support group

Tyler Gee
Kennedy's old ride, new owner
Tongsli
DCTDIwagon(still installing)
NewJettaGuy
SVTWEB
Coolwht
Jettaproblems
VWFlappie
Penclnck
Mike Anderson

SO if you've got one, could you please chime in??

Lito

Last edited:

Brasil

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta wagon silver-Sold, now MINI Cooper S Clubman
Anyone have any pics of a nav system installed in an A4? What do the parts cost?
Mark
Correction: pics on a MKIV . (oops)

jettaproblems

[ QUOTE ]
Hey! welcome to the support group /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Tongsli... It's been quite a while since I visited this site. Is it true that SVTWEB sold his car? What will this site do without him?! /images/graemlins/grin.gif That car was my inspiration for so many of my mods... although most were completely out of reach from my wallet.
I have been using my navigation with the cluster for well over a year now and I am currently using the California map CD with no problems. The occasional positional errors, but it picks up after a bit. I believe it has to do with the fact that I didn't wire up the reverse signal and ABS signals... Just tapped the speed sensor from the cluster.

Anyone have this thing working 100% accurately?
Thanks!

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Eric sold the Bora to me... and I continue to carry the torch. He's building a 2001 B5 Passat Wagon 4motion with 150 HP TDI engine. Although most of the mod work is done on the Bora, I still continue to tinker on it.

Since taking delivery, I have added:
-Shine racing suspension (with Bilstein HD's) with Neuspeed sways front an rear, Neuspeed lower tie bar, poly bushings in control arms, and a TT upper strut bar
-W8 map light, Reiger illumnated 6 speed shift knob, and 42dd column VDO boost gauge pod with factory match led's
-GHL full custom muffler free cat back, downpipe will be here next week to complete the polshed stainless exhaust.
-Passat 130 PD oil cooler
-18" Aristos from a 20th AE gti
-Micro-DE fogs
-04 tails
-Bosal euro detachable tow hitch
-CAT Fuel filter
-Kerma PP 520 nozzles
-FIXED many residual electrical problems from Eric's retrofit

Things still on the list:
- 04 GLI front valance, with UPSOLUTE FMIC, and Votex side skirts. All of this stuff sits in my garage, just need to find a good body shop to do ny paint work
- Flexible oil sensor, just need to drop the oil pan
-Timing belt
-Dieselgeek race pipe

and sundry other little things.

Why would the Navi need an abs signal?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
More likely to be VSS rather than ABS. That and the reverse signal help to calculate position and elapsed distance even more accurately, especially if/ when viev of the satellites is lost (canyons, tunnels etc).

jettaproblems

[ QUOTE ]
Eric sold the Bora to me... and I continue to carry the torch. He's building a 2001 B5 Passat Wagon 4motion with 150 HP TDI engine. Although most of the mod work is done on the Bora, I still continue to tinker on it.

Since taking delivery, I have added:
-Shine racing suspension (with Bilstein HD's) with Neuspeed sways front an rear, Neuspeed lower tie bar, poly bushings in control arms, and a TT upper strut bar
-W8 map light, Reiger illumnated 6 speed shift knob, and 42dd column VDO boost gauge pod with factory match led's
-GHL full custom muffler free cat back, downpipe will be here next week to complete the polshed stainless exhaust.
-Passat 130 PD oil cooler
-18" Aristos from a 20th AE gti
-Micro-DE fogs
-04 tails
-Bosal euro detachable tow hitch
-CAT Fuel filter
-Kerma PP 520 nozzles
-FIXED many residual electrical problems from Eric's retrofit

Things still on the list:
- 04 GLI front valance, with UPSOLUTE FMIC, and Votex side skirts. All of this stuff sits in my garage, just need to find a good body shop to do ny paint work
- Flexible oil sensor, just need to drop the oil pan
-Timing belt
-Dieselgeek race pipe

and sundry other little things.

Why would the Navi need an abs signal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! SVTWEB was all about Euro OEM and you are bringing some aftermarket flavor into the whole mix.

The original OEM Navi instructions required that you tap into the ABS controller. I'm not 100% sure why that would be the case, but maybe something to do with turning when the compass is out of sync. Many people on ClubB5 actually tried searching for the wires to tap into, but gave up.

Anyways, good luck with that car! I checked out some pics and I had NO IDEA that was SVTWEB's car. Hey if you ever take out some Euro OEM to go aftermarket... say something like rear parking sensors installed valence /images/graemlins/grin.gif haha

VWflappie

For about a year i have one fully functional and precise...

Ok, i have followed this thread, but still are unsyure about one thing... Which version of the MFD head do you all use?? a "D" or a "G" version The differance between these to is that the G version uses a "speller" funtion and the "D" hasn't got thi feature....

Maybe Tongsli can help me out???

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Marc,

The G unit has the ability to communicate via can bus. We are trying to get a G-unit installed in a 2003.

L

penclnck

Add me to the list... hoping to have it ready by Waterfest. Just got the "Roof Aerial" from the part dept about 2 minutes ago. Still waiting on the MFD "G" unit to come from Germany. Already have the high pixel cluster installed. Thinking about stuffing the Jumbo Box CD changer in the glove box and a single DIN DVD player beside it as well.

By chance, anyone know the part number for the GPS cable for a Jetta wagon?

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
I need some help. Does anyone have the coding scheme for the MFDs? I rewired my MFD this morning and hooked up the K wire and started playing with the coding. Someone had told me to try one code and now the volume control in my MFD doesn't work. I'm an idiot and forgot what it was coded to before I changed it.
I also hooked up the direct cable connection from the MFD to the cluster. It doesn't work, but it could also be a coding issue.
I have the monsoon and the wagon if anyone knows the codes to set that up correctly.
Brian

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cluster must be coded 23232 instead of 07232

From Eric's original post

All of the functions for mesurement are based on the country code that you select when in your basic programming. There is a 5 digit code that sets the basic program of the cluster.

Example 07232

The first 2 digits tell the cluster what options you have. IE- brake pad inticator, Low coolant, Etc.
The 3rd Digit is the Country Code.

1 - ECE
2 - USA
3 - Canada
4 - UK
5 - Saudi Arabia

The 4th Digit is for Service Interval, we in the US don't have one so it is set to 3.

the 5th digit is for the pulse constant for the speedometer. This is set depending on what engine/Transmission combination you have.

The County Code's do the following.

1 - ECE: 24-Hour Time, Milage in KM, Fuel in Liters, Outside temparate in Cel. , No buzzer when door is and keys are in ignition, Default Language is German.

2 - USA: 12 Hour time, Milage in Miles, Fuel in US Gallons, Outside Temparature in F. , Open Door Buzzer, Default Language is English.

3 - Canada: 12 Hour Time, Milage in KM, Fuel in Liters, Outside temp in C Default Language is English.

4 - UK: 24 Hour Time, Milage in Miles. Fule in IMPERIAL Gallons, Outside temp in C. Language is English.

5 - SA: Not Idea... Didn't try it

Radio Coding

56- Radio: – KWP1281
VAG-COM appears to work fine.

Radio Recoding:

[Select]
[56 - Radio]
[Recode - 07]
Write down the existing coding for future reference.
Enter 5-digit code from below
[Do It!]

Look at the first two digits in the coding (sound field tuning):

00 - All models with Premium VI w/o Multifunction Steering Wheel
01 - Golf/GTI
02 - Jetta
03 - Jetta Wagon
04 - All models with Premium VI with Multifunction Steering Wheel
06 - New Beetle

Look at the third digit in the coding (radio/speaker system):

0 - Premium V or Premium VI (Monsoon)
4 - Premium IV, Premium V, or Premium VI (non-Monsoon)

Look at the fourth digit in the coding (sound correction):

0 - Premium IV, Premium V, or Premium VI (non-Monsoon)
3 - Premium V (Monsoon) 2-door or Premium VI (Monsoon)
4 - Premium V (Monsoon) 4-door

Look at the fifth digit in the coding (CD player/changer):

1 - Without CD Player/Changer
3 - With CD Player/Changer

So, if you have a 2-door GTI with Monsoon and a CD changer, 01,0,3,3 = 01033.

Brian, Eric hooked up his former Bora to the VW tool and went through the fault-finding procedure. It inserted the code 00027. That's what my car is also coded to since Chris and I both have NAVI with DSP.

L

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the cluster coded correctly. But with that, the navigation menu when you hold down the stalk button still doesn't show up. Just trip computer, car status, and display off.

Looks like the direct wiring of the data, clock, and enable is not going to work. I wish I had a logic probe to see if anything even came out of those pins on the back of the MFD.

The good news is that I finally got all the wiring for my rain sensor and anti-dazzle hooked up and I couldn't have picked a better day for it. Plenty of rain to test it out with.

Finding the reverse wire is a royal pain. But while I was messing with it I connected it to the MFD. Didn't notice much of a difference with it.

On the anti-dazzle mirror, what are the red LEDS on the bottom for? Mood lighting? Are they always on?

I should have taken pictures when I was doing all this wiring. Between the wires for the MFD, cluster wiring, rain sensor, and mirror it looked like my dash threw up on the drivers side floor.
Brian

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
THey are on all the time. I guess mood lighting. Sorry to hear about the cluster wiring. It's can bus or bust I guess. What numbers did you use code the Navi/Radio?

L

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
If your car is a wagon the radio should talk to the cluster through the existing wires already there and not through the three wires that are added to run between the cluster and Navi unit. Those wires are only indicated on vehicles from M.Y. 2000 or older. Disconnect those wires if you added them.

When you first power up the radio, the instrument cluster should blank the MPG display momentarely and read VW Navigation System and then go back to the MPG display. If the communication link between the MFD and large pixel display is working the top two lines of the large pixel display which are not used when the radio/navi is off will now be showing the RDS data for the radio station you are tuned to or the track information if you are playing a CD. If you have this display there is nothing wrong with the communication link between the Navi and the instrument cluster display.

The Wiper Stalk switches may control the MPG and trip computer display when the Navi is INACTIVE but they have NO effect on the Navi MFD screen or the instrument cluster large pixel display when the Navi is set to provide route guidance because the Navi information will overide the MPG display and you won't be able to access the trip computer functions until the Navi mode is switched back to the simple position display and the Navigational instructions are cancelled or you have arrived at your programmed destination. In other words the IC will display Navi route guidance instructions ONLY when a route is selected AND active.

Lito: Please note this additional information...

The latest map CD did a firmware update on my rev. d Navi and now when I enter a route it goes through all the right steps and presents the completed route and that is as far as it goes. In order to get the turn guidance instructions to display on the IC I have to turn off the radio/navi for at least a few minutes so it is forced to do a cold restart on itself. If the top two lines of the display show track info or RDS data and you still can't get route guidance instructions on the IC display, try turning the radio/navi off for a minute and then back on, and see if perhaps your system is showing the same bug mine has. When I tried reusing the older map CD it did not change anything back, the bug is still there.

I didn't mention the bug until now because turning the radio/navi off and then back on is no big deal compaired to going through the endless lawyer assisted disclaimer screens that come built in to Navi's made for the North American market. The Clarion unit that is OEM on Honda's will disable itself requiring a restart if you do not acknowlege the legal disclaimer within 15 seconds.

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Which wires does it communicate to the cluster through on the stock harness? Have you seen this work? Can you send me the wiring diagram that you are looking at? There is no radio information showing up on my cluster from the MFD, if there had been I would have know that the two were communicating.
If you hold the wiper stalk button down for a few seconds you get a hidden menu that you can turn off the cluster display with or look at error codes. Are you saying that you can't access that menu when the MFD is navigating?
Brian

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tyler,

There is a chance the CD's you've got are defective. I've experienced some dropping of the navigation route with one particular set of CD's. Let me know which CD's this happens to you and we'll try another set?

Putting in another burn, or set eliminates it.

Brian, you can access the Menus even when the NAVI is working and guiding you. You can switch from Trip Computer to Navi any time you want.

Tyler, Brian has a G-unit and the direct connection from the car's canbus to the Navi doesn't work.

L

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
I assume Brian has Monsoon...

Airwalk has the correct adapter to integrate the Monsoon with the "G" Navi, (or so he claims).

Do you have that adapter Brian?

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I have that adapter. But his setup isn't for cars with upgraded clusters and he never addresses this problem.
Brian

Just wanted to add that this adapter is available here in the US and there is no need to order it from Germany and pay a huge markup.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Okay.

It never occured to me that the upgraded TDI Euro cluster cars would be different in some way from the cars, (non-tdi's), that actually have an MFA from the factory for NA.

Bummer.

Hopefully a solution will be found. I am planning a nav unit for my 2003 wagon also but want to know what I am getting into before I spend the money.

The high pixel cluster has given me enough headaches...

Good luck!

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think the clusters are different. Over on clubB5 I don't remember ever seeing a discussion about the nav info on the cluster. I don't think they bother to always hook up the cluster to the nav, or since they all seem to have the D or earlier model MFD maybe they do it through the direct cable connection.
Brian