Finally did it. 50 mpg plus

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I hit 55 mpg the other day driving from Ypsilanti to Toledo at 60 mph on the freeway. I typically drive 75-80 mph and get around 40-42 mph. Speed makes a big difference. My tires are also inflated to spec (around 35 psi).

nicodarious

TDI
2010 Jetta
I came SO CLOSE yesterday!! 49.9 mpg on a 40 mile trip, mostly highway. i was going like 20 mph down the streets near my house to try to get it up to 50... no luck.
Andy, where are you keeping the RPMs ate while shifting through the gears? I normally shift at about 2400, sometimes as high as 3000, but no higher unless needed. On the highway, I normally run on flat terrain at about 1500 to 2000 until I hit 6th, then just speed up from there, never letting the RPMs drop below 1400 before downshifting. Pulling hills requires a bit more finesse, taking it up to about 3000. All in all, I get better mileage at about 50 to 70 MPH, while in the city, I coast a LOT. It makes the people behind me irked, but I don't care, lol!
Seeing that the turbo is boosting up to about 2000 RPM, I find this range to be the most economical, along with learning the shifting range and clutch work. All in all, not too bad. If I break 60.0, I'll be sure to post a pic! :cool:
Cheers!
--John

Gatorboy

TDI
2012 Candy White Golf TDI 2-door
Just filled up this morning -- loving the warmer temperatures.

645 miles; 13.03 gallons; 49.5 mpg. My Consumption #2 stated 49.4 mpg. I probably could have driven to work and back (73 miles) another day on this same tank.

andyg75

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Andy, where are you keeping the RPMs ate while shifting through the gears? I normally shift at about 2400, sometimes as high as 3000, but no higher unless needed. On the highway, I normally run on flat terrain at about 1500 to 2000 until I hit 6th, then just speed up from there, never letting the RPMs drop below 1400 before downshifting. Pulling hills requires a bit more finesse, taking it up to about 3000. All in all, I get better mileage at about 50 to 70 MPH, while in the city, I coast a LOT. It makes the people behind me irked, but I don't care, lol!
Seeing that the turbo is boosting up to about 2000 RPM, I find this range to be the most economical, along with learning the shifting range and clutch work. All in all, not too bad. If I break 60.0, I'll be sure to post a pic! :cool:
Cheers!
--John
I usually shift at around 2500. If I feel like having some fun I might open it up more but I usually don't. I cruise usually between 1200 and 1500 around town. Is there some science to the "don't let it go under 1400" school of thought? The car seems to do fine cruising at that RPM as long as you downshift before you try to accelerate much, and the computer reports the instantaneous mileage goes way up. Like 5th gear vs 4th when cruising at 40 mph, let's say... On the highway I'm usually in 6th. ~1800 rpm at 65 mpg.

What seems to make the most difference to me is hills on the highway, or lights around town... I'm going on a long trip on a 50mph highway this weekend. I hope to be able to hit 50mpg+ at those lower speeds...

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
According to the specs, the CR 2.0 peak torque is at 1750rpm.
My DSG shifts at around 1900rpm in every gear when accelerating slowly.
It drops to about 1250 after each shift, so 650rpm powerband.

Shift points at 1900rpm:
1st = 0-10mph
2nd = 10-17
3rd = 17-26
4th = 26-38
5th = 38-49
6th = 49mph & up

So that's what VW has programmed for best fuel economy in the DSG.
Is that what most manual shifters are doing for best fuel economy?

nicodarious

TDI
2010 Jetta
That seems about right to me. I don't like to 'lug' the engine too much, unless it's flat or downhill grade that's not steep enough to hold the clutch in. I only said 1400 because that seems the best place for me to be at for plenty of torque for acceleration and also best cruising RPM for slower speeds.

I must admit, though, she's been sitting on the wayside for the past week getting jealous as I ride my H-D Sportster around on these gorgeous days we've been having. Although it gets a bit worse mileage than the TDI, it's more enjoyable to be out in the open air, eating bugs and dodging rocks!

Tesla_1989

TDI
'11 VW mk VI Golf TDI 4dr 6-speed man :-)
Congrats! It's a very nice number to see. I remember the first time I drove my '12 Golf TDI out to Valpo I got somewhere around 56mpg keeping between 60 and 75 and my friends couldn't get me to shut up about how in-love with my car I am. I'm sure you know the feeling quite well right now.

biglipps66

TDI
2012 6spd premium
Warmer weather definitely making a big difference for me as well! My usage average of 42.xmpg is looking like a 47.x mpg tank this round. I drove 65x something miles not long ago through West V down to Myrtle Beach area in the cold winter months and average 48 on the way down and 49 on the way back (actual mpg). Speed is key for sure, over 70 and I notice the difference most definitely. I still stick to my 90-100% throttle accelerations too which makes it even more fun to drive AND get the best mileage.

My only regret..... NOT BUYING A TDI YEARS AGO!!!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Then you'd be complaining about how the new CR engines don't get as good of mileage ;)
No complaints here! :) I got 47mpg on my morning commute today, and 47mpg at freeway speeds going from MI to WI and back via Chicago over the holiday weekend.

My 2000 Golf averaged 46-47mpg. My current ride is more like 43 average. (year-round) I prefer the new ride. More power. No smell.

biglipps66

TDI
2012 6spd premium
Then you'd be complaining about how the new CR engines don't get as good of mileage ;)
Ha! Im pretty damn happy about it either way I guess! I came from 9mpg trucks and 20mpg highway cars so anything above 30 is bad ass to me lol. The first long trip I hit 50.8 for the tank and I about poo'd myself :eek:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
My first diesel VW was a 78 Rabbit. At the time there was a certain fun factor to having to mash the pedal to the floor constantly and the mileage was incredible but I do like being able to do things a little more leasurely now. :D