Fan Control Module Replacement

Nick.G.S

TDI
05 Auto Golf 1.9 TDI BEW
Trying to replace my radiator fan control module. Already have the part and went to install it this morning. I watched a couple videos of earlier mk4's and was disappointed to find a much different wire set up underneath the battery tray... The wiring harness completely covers the bolts holding the control module underneath the car. I don't even know where to begin to remove the harness as it looks like its being secured with a ground. Anyone done this replacement before and have some tips?

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
I remember it being a pain, but I recall everything was accessible with the battery tray removed.

If you didn't get an OEM module, plan on getting a lot of practice replacing them. I went through 3 or 4 ebay/rockauto/Standard motor products units and they all lasted under a year.

Nick.G.S

TDI
05 Auto Golf 1.9 TDI BEW
I remember it being a pain, but I recall everything was accessible with the battery tray removed.

If you didn't get an OEM module, plan on getting a lot of practice replacing them. I went through 3 or 4 ebay/rockauto/Standard motor products units and they all lasted under a year.
I bought mine off FCP, so hopefully it's oem quality. I took the battery tray off and was met with the picture below. Found another thread on here about it, turns out it's just a PITA job. Gotta remove battery and tray, air box, wire harness. The whole nine. Blows :/https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/battery0001-jpg.148412/

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
If north is to the top of that photo, the bolts are East-Southeast of your red box

I was able to remove the bolts (2003 manual Jetta wagon) without removing battery tray. I think I did remove the headlight bulb access cover. One of the bolts is easily accessed and one bolt is almost below the bolt that holds the battery front keeper that keeps battery from bouncing. Long 1/4 inch ratchet extension helps

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd suggest you remove the battery tray anyway - it's a good time to check the ground connections underneath it, and to be sure all the bolts securing it aren't too rusty.

So I'd suggest: remove the airbox (complete, no need to take the filter out), remove the battery tray (yes you have to wiggle it around the harnesses that go to the top-of-battery fuse box), then remove the fan control module.

-J

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Jatcos have an extra layer of BS on them, and the battery tray actually sits higher due to the extra harness underneath them. Don't have one in front of me, but that hinders the ease of FCM replacement (because on the ALH and manual BEW cars the FCM is cake easy to replace).

Here is a AWW 1.8t engine equipped with the Jatco, the BEW is similar, and you can clearly see that extra harness right over the top of the FCM bolts:

Incidentally, the BEW NBs got the 02E DSG transmission as their automatic option, and I suspect it was because there was simply no room to stuff that giant bloated Jatco transmission in there with regards to how tight it is around the battery area, which on the NB is already extra tight, even with the smaller battery they got. And the AWW/AWP NBs continued with the 01M right up until they switched to the 6sp Aisin unit, which is actually physically smaller than the 5sp Jatco and being that its valve body is on the bottom instead of the front I think that helps.