False Neutral 2014 TDI slips into neutral while in Drive

Franktank

TDI
2.0 2014 Passat
Help! My 2014 TDI Passat, coming off the interstate in drive the vehicle went to neutral and the stability track light came on. Note vehicle was still in drive.

I rolled into a gas station and turn vehicle off. Turned it back on and everything was fine and began to drive home. 5 min later it happened again and vehicle was in drive reving in neutral.

I performed this exercise 7 times before I got it home.

code P0864
Also I changed the fluid 4 months ago

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Try posting in the model specific forum for your car.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Help! My 2014 TDI Passat, coming off the interstate in drive the vehicle went to neutral and the stability track light came on. Note vehicle was still in drive.

I rolled into a gas station and turn vehicle off. Turned it back on and everything was fine and began to drive home. 5 min later it happened again and vehicle was in drive reving in neutral.

I performed this exercise 7 times before I got it home.

code P0864
Also I changed the fluid 4 months ago
Sounds like it might need a mechatronics unit. The intermittent no comms to the "TCU" code plus the randomly going into neutral while driving sounds an awful lot like a mechatronics unit that is intermittently shutting off due to a bad component or iffy connection somewhere on the mechatronics unit inside the gearbox.

Now, when the transmission is up and operating normally, are there no codes stored in it? There's always the outside possibility that there is a power or ground issue to the mech unit, or a failing CAN bus wire...