F/S: 1995 Cabrio TDI, $4800, central MA

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
ON DEPOSIT
consider it sold.

F/S: 1995 Cabrio TDI, $4800, central MA
As much as I will miss this car, it makes logical sense for me to part with it.

more images are being linked into this posting. Be patient, grasshopper.

Beige over beige on green, with GLX trim level equipment, which for the 1995 Cabrio included: ABS, leather seats and door cards, power windows, power door locks, central locking, anti-theft alarm, tumble and fold rear seat with trunk pass-through, glass rear window with defroster grid, power side mirrors with defrost and the expected PS/PB/AC and Cruise.
Formerly with a 2.0 ABA gasoline engine, now with a 1997 1.9 liter TDI driveline (AHU engine, transmission, shifter, wiring harness, ECU, clutch master cylinder) transplanted and fully integrated in.
Swap/transplant history in the link below:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249433

Both the 1997 engine donor Jetta and the 1995 Cabrio (VIN: WVWBB81E5SK027861) were purchased by me with blemished titles. The Jetta had been totaled due to rocker panel rot and a minor accident. The Cabrio, with pristine rockers,

has a 'true miles: unknown' from a cluster replacement. As near as I can tell the 125k+ on the Cabrio's new cluster and the 91k+ on its original put it quite close to the 225k on the Jetta at the time I bought them both.

While the structural parts of the Cabrio are near perfect, the right rear corner has some dents and scrapes as can be seen below.

The Cabrio is titled and registered in Mass (a CARB emission adopting state) as a diesel. As a 1995 diesel is it exempt from emissions testing in all 50 states. If there is a requirement in your state to test it as the newer 1997 driveline, it also is fully OBD II compliant and meets all 1997 diesel light duty vehicle OBD II scan requirements.
The car is currently at 244k miles on 1997 driveline, roughly 244k miles on 1995 body.

In addition to the conversion from gas to diesel the following have been replaced or rebuilt during the year and a half I've owned the car:
Front fenders, cheap aftermarket grille to replace smashed original one,

rear wheel bearings, front wheel bearings, lower control arms and bushings, low mile used Koni red in rear, new Bilstein T/C up front, right tie rod inner and outer, VW front drive axles (I rebuilt them), N75 boost control valve, MAF sensor, cam and followers (worn, not hit), cam timing belt, belt tensioner and belt idler roller (because there was no replacement history), thermostat, the 1995 radiator and heater were drained, flushed and refilled with G12 (matches 1997 engine), A/C evacuated, sealed and re-charged, all scheduled maintenance items such as air, oil and fuel filters and 505.00 oil changes have performed.
Items I've added are: variable delay intermittant wiper relay, 15 inch alloys, boost pressure gauge and exhaust pyrometer, Bosio Sprint 520 injection tips, 900 Ohm Evry and switch for stock setting, boost bleed, locking glove box and locking center console from 1997 Jetta (separate key from the Jetta to lock these two), front fender mounted clearance and/or turn signal repeaters, B4 Panasonic premium AM/FM/cassette radio (with security code) plus six disk changer in trunk, antenna, four Goodyear Eagle Performance Touring tires, 205-60-15, purchased and installed in mid-Sept 2010.
Also available are four OEM alloy 'Orlando' wheels and covers with four studded 185-65-14 snow tires.

The manual top can be opened in about 5 seconds while seated in the driver's seat, but it does require getting out to release the latch that holds the top folded open/down in order to raise/close the top again. Figure 10 seconds to raise the roof and secure it. Installing or removing the cover over the folded top, if desired, takes about 3 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is nearly no odor of exhaust when the top is down, unless stopped in traffic and there's a tailwind.

When closed the top is quite secure and dry. There is an occasional drip (one each ten ~ 15 minutes) from the seal at the top of the driver's window when at highway speed in a downpour, and the lack of drip rails does allow many drips to get on the seat when the door is opened in the rain. The top is tight enough for hand washing with a hose, but don't plan on using power washers or car washes. The top squeaks when the seals are wet as the glass or metal skips on the rubber seals. The tensioning cables inside the top shake on very rough roads and make noise. The beige vinyl top outer layer is in very good condition. It has some staining that looks like mildew, but I haven't tried to bleach it out or anything like that. The staining does not wash off with car wash soap. The roof material has signs of abrasion in the lower corners by the side windows. See the image files.

The more common tear prone areas show no signs of any stress or failing

The Cabrio's prior owner was a surgeon in RI. He's leave the top down in the hospital's lot. The prolonged sun exposure has dried and cracked the leather hides on the seats, and when it would rain the water pooled in the footwells and caused staining of the carpets. The seat foam is still good and the skins aren't torn, but they aren't optically appealing. I didn't care and, as with the roof stains, I've left these alone, too.

I've run biodiesel (B99 and B100) except in the winter when I've run as low as B20 due to temperature reasons. My fuel economy can be seen here: http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/2646
My personal best in this car: 57+ mpg.

As I mentioned, I really like this car and I will not be giving it away.

Contact me through e-mail

Lug_Nut@Juno.com

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
second post for more images.
The more common tear prone areas show no signs of any stress or failing

The Cabrio's prior owner was a surgeon in RI. He's leave the top down in the hospital's lot. The prolonged sun exposure has dried and cracked the leather hides on the seats, and when it would rain the water pooled in the footwells and caused staining of the carpets. The seat foam is still good and the skins aren't torn, but they aren't optically appealing. I didn't care and, as with the roof stains, I've left these alone, too.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
third post for more images
rear floor

Leg room? I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and size 12 feet. When I have the driver's seat set for me there's this much knee room for me if I'm sitting behind me.

leg room seat all the way back below

and all the way forward here

I've grafted a B4 Passat sedan seat pan under the A3 cushion and fold-forward seat back to add a rake adjustment to the driver's seat as well as the usual height adjustment. Note the two handles on the side.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
more images

usual for a Jetta, but no storage bin and no glove box came in the 95 Cabrio.
Note the boost and EGT gauges in the center console. Cup holders are still functional, but block the gauge view. Oh well..

6 disk changer with magazine and carriers

interior lighting, Not so great as it's all up front, none in the rear.

undercarriage, looking forward

Last edited:

quietmission

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI , 04 S500, 95 GTI TDI (Past)
That's what i always wanted but too bad i don't have the cash laying around right now. Bump!

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Jon, I would buy this car from you, if I could sell our green Passat. If someone out there is interested in a stock B4 right now, I'll sell it so I can get this one!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Nice car, Jon and I praise all your efforts.;) I wish I had a spot for it.:(

The right rear area photo showing the minor body dame is quite blue on my screen and the car is green. Light issue in the photo?

Lug_Nut

TDI
The right rear area photo showing the minor body dame is quite blue on my screen and the car is green. Light issue in the photo?
I hadn't noticed that before posting, but yeah, it looks very blue in that image.:confused: It's green.

PM replied to.

The car continues to be enjoyable to drive. This decision to sell this car is one of logic and practicality, not of emotion. I wish I could keep it, but now with her Golf, two small cars will be a problem for us (three small cars if counting the Sonett). I can't justify keeping four cars for just the two of us, so we're keeping the Passat Wagon.

I don't have any other projects in mind, and I do these for me and my use, not with the intent of selling as a profit. I didn't intend to sell it at all, at least not this soon. And I'd have to price it at $7400 to break even.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Wow, surprised you are selling! I have seen this car in person, it is in decent shape considering the age, and that fact that most Cabbies were trashed fairly quickly by their owners. I suppose this one held up better due to its original owner?

Nice pictures, too, very well represented. Good luck with your sale. A friend of mine bought a Sequoia Green Cabrio brand new in '95 just like that one.. one of the very first sold at our dealership!

veg82

TDI
looking for one
A diesel Cabrio! That is the coolest car ever! It's my dream car, but I really can't afford that much $ right now. Are these getting converted to diesel more often now? Awesome car, Lug.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
I've seen this car and IMHO it looks better in person than the pics portray even with it's minor flaws
PM replied to.
I can't justify keeping four cars for just the two of us, so we're keeping the Passat Wagon.
Why not?? plenty of us have more cars than drivers. Won't mention any names but their initials are Jetter_Sprinta :D

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, I have too many cars, too... but I love 'em all. Wife drove the Golf for the first time this week... not sure when I'll get it back. :cool:

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Not exactly sure what you think is cool about the car if you don't like the convertible aspect of a CABRIO. :confused: Buy a jetta?
Well I just am not a fan of the maintenance and extra noise of a convertible. I was just saying that if there were ever a hard top variant of this exact style of car I would love it.:cool: Basically, a two door golf I know

Lug_Nut

TDI
And I'd have to price it at $7400 to break even.
I'm not pretending that I'll make back my expenditure of that amount...unless you really want to pay $7400 for it.
No, I think that $4800 is about what I'd be happy to accept for the car, that or I'll keep and continue to drive it and enjoy it.
I apologize if that statement of how much money I have put into it has raised questions as to the amount I was asking.
Still only $4800 cheap!

oilhammer

TDI
That is a very good price for a somewhat unique car.

My wife always made me sell all 3 of the Cabbies I owned... wonder if she'd let me keep one with a proper engine (and trans!) installed? Hmmmm..... :eek:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
That is a very good price for a somewhat unique car.

My wife always made me sell all 3 of the Cabbies I owned... wonder if she'd let me keep one with a proper engine (and trans!) installed? Hmmmm..... :eek:
It is an excellent price and despite the dubious nature of the owner's professed misguided political viewpoints :p you know you are buying a car that is top notch mechanically, well maintained and and one of only a few out tdi cabrios out there. Really shocked it hasn't sold already.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Not for a whole car, but I will consider swapping radios. How is yours working?

ramvw

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta 96 passat wagon
Kidding on trade .think radio is connection related I will have some time on t-day let you know

Lug_Nut

TDI
Cabrio TDI is now listed on local (Worcester, MA) Craig's list.
I'll leave it there for a week or two then *gasp!* e-bay?

Lug_Nut

TDI
I like LugNut's Cabrio but it's a bit too much for me cost-wise to fly/buy/drive back to Oregon (if you are reading this do know that Cabrio is a sweet ride, he drove it out here not too long ago for the TDIFest in Portland. Crazy).
How much will you talk me down from my asking price?;)
I've sent you a PM with more immediate contact information so we can discuss options in real time.