ever get caught with/checked for off-road diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
previous: 1997 Jetta (green); 2000 Golf TDI (Silver)
I've been driving my A3 for over 2 years now, and have never been checked. I don't use the stuff, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any stories of being checked for or (heaven forbid) caught with off-road diesel?

Please note I'm not concerned in this thread with whether it's good for my car or not; I'm just curious about the extent of enforcement of preventing road car drivers from avoiding taxes by buying non-taxed off-road stuff - in other words, my odds of getting away with using the off-road non-taxed stuff are poor/fair/good....?...!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
NEVER checked in 15 years of driving VW diesels. I also do not use untaxed fuel.

--Nate

kanester

TDI
jetta wagon 2003 blue
unless you drive a commercial vehicle i would'nt worry about getting stopped. Some states may look under the hood during a state inspection and see the color of your fuel running through the clear fuel lines right ontop of the engine though!!

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Have read about people that live in farming areas getting checked. I guess farms typically have storage tanks for off-road diesel (dyed) for farm equipment. Alot of farmers also have diesel trucks so I have read where they do occasionaly been checked. Never heard of it happening for passenger vehicles anywhere else though.

kanester

TDI
jetta wagon 2003 blue
also i'll bet your fuel filter is a semi permanent record of your fuel usage so if you used a tank of red 3or 4 tanks ago but have been using clear since then if you cut open the filter you'll see red dye.

tkindler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2003, white
The only time I have heard of was a local logger who used fuel intended for his equipment in his truck. He was turned in by a disgruntled former employee. Guess it pays to keep your former employees gruntled.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Front Royal Off Road diesel price - $2.899. Same pump, other side - taxed diesel price - $2.999. Not worth the risk.
There are states with much higher fuel taxes than the one you live in. Even that price seems suspicious - I'll bet the untaxed fuel price is inflated for some reason.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I paid $2.79 for B100 today, B0 was almost $3....

Emerald, did you come into the chat room last night? You don't want to run off-road fule. It's not worth the risk. Don't make your fellow Canadians pay for your choice to go around the system.

-J

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Re: ever get caught with/checked for off-road dies

Since the FEDERAL fuel taxes are 34.5 cents per gallon, that off-road in virginia was way overpriced. There are ways to use red fuel legally on highway, but you have to have good records and proof. Here's the legal way: If you drive the same route every day, and a substantial portion of your commute is on privately-funded roadways, such as private property or toll roads. You need receipts from the toll roads showing how far and how often you drive on them, and then receipts showing your fuel economy. You will need to be buying regular taxed fuel in a greater percentage than the percentage of taxable roads you drive on, just for safety in calculation.

This isn't easy, and its not for everyone. BUT, if you have the documentation, you can most likely get the ticket and the fine cancelled. Oh, you thought John Lawman would just let you off if he decides to look? The average cop won't CARE what your reasons are, or proof. You are guilty in his eyes, simply because he stopped you. That is the single BIGGEST reason to NOT run red fuel: Your car will probably be impounded on the spot, damaged by the tow gorilla, and you will need to pay $500 (NON-refundable) just to get your car back.

It doesn't matter if you are right. If you are accused, you are guilty, and you will pay.

In Nevada, fuel taxes are $0.55 per gallon. I would LOVE to run red fuel, but I can't afford the possibilty of getting busted. At least biodiesel is not colored.

--Jim

joeman2199

Vendor , w/Business number

my local hess station is selling red fuel, it has a note on the pump saying that due to short supply of diesel the epa has allowed the sale of off road diesel for on road vehicles until sept 15 or whenever supply runs out... or something to the effect of that. they are still at 2.89 while avg around here is around 3.29 or more. i put in a few gallons worth, but i didnt want to go all out b/c i hear that the off road has more sulfur in it. but then again that might be all fiction.......

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none

my local hess station is selling red fuel, it has a note on the pump saying that due to short supply of diesel the epa has allowed the sale of off road diesel for on road vehicles until sept 15 or whenever supply runs out... or something to the effect of that. they are still at 2.89 while avg around here is around 3.29 or more. i put in a few gallons worth, but i didnt want to go all out b/c i hear that the off road has more sulfur in it. but then again that might be all fiction.......
Yeah . . . that comes with a few different stipulations though.

The red fuel can indeed be used due to EPA waivers from the hurricane shortages, but that also comes with the stipulation that THE TAX HAS TO BE PAID as well. That means you can sell red diesel for use on road, but the price has to include on road fuel taxes as well.

Bottom line - you can't just fill up with off road fuel for off road prices.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI

Also, that EPA waiver is ONLY in Florida and a few other select localities, NOT nationwide. MrMopar is correct, they are selling the fuel, and should be charging the tax rate on it too. However, it should still be cheaper b/c even tho (in Florida) both are the SAME FUEL... The fuel companies charge less for the red b/c it is usually bought on contract. Less price fluctuations that way. So be glad that the station you found red at is not gouging the public by charging their regular rate, and keeping the massive profits.

DrewD

Veteran Member

Hmmmm, anybody got a 1.8T logo that they wanna sell me so I can rip off the TDI logo?

BTW, my 04 PD doesn't have clear fuel lines in the engine bay. I'm curious why VW changed. I rather have clear fuel lines so I can see if my CAT fuel filter is introducing bubbles.

Darn B20 is more expensive than B0 here and I don't know who much B100 costs.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>what would happen when you took your car in for service at perhaps a VW dealer, and voila, red diesel? <<

With most dealerships you're more likely to find gasoline in the tank...

Yuri.

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
Write your state tax guy. Tell them that you had to fill up with a tank of red because you were running out of diesel and you got some from a farmer. Offer to pay the tax. See if they will send you a letter stating that you had one tank of red in your car and that it stains the tank and you are now running clear. That way if any one ever checked you would have a letter from the state saying that it happened a long time ago and it is ok if your fuel is still red.

Not that I am avocating this... Just might be a way to do it. Really it is a little scary that so many people are looking for ways to save money by avoiding road tax and burning off road fuel. You pay so little road tax now that it really doesn't make a differance.

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic

I got some red diesel on my way to TDI Fest. It was my first fuel stop, and I didn't notice it until I was venting to the top. It wasn't as red as 100% off road diesel, so I think they mixed it in with the regular diesel. The clerk said that due to the state of emergency and low supplies they govt. was allowing them to put the off-road diesel in the on-road pumps. I definately did not pay the off-road price.

I've heard two conflicting things about red diesel. Some say it's no different than the regular diesel except the red dye, others say it has more sulphur. I don't know what's true, all I know is the car smoked a LOT more on that tank, even under just slight acceleration, and I only got 41 MPG on that tank which was 100% highway driving with the cruise set on 72MPH.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none

Red fuel sometimes has higher sulfur in it - sometimes not. It's hard to find out unless you have a specific fuel supplier who can attest through documentation that the sulfur limits are within spec and the only difference is the red dye.

With your exhaust soot, it sounds like you got red fuel that is indeed refined with much higher sulfur limits.

Muleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon

I have been checked twice in the last two years in my Dodge 1-ton. DOT guys were pulling over every semi and truck. Tube down the tank, clear fuel and then away I went. I'm sure the likleyhood of getting checking in your TDI may be going up. I saw a guy filling his Jetta TDI with off road at one of the few places in town you can get it last year. Called the DOT, gave them his liscense and they said they would take care of it. They would just check his address and wait and pull him over down the street someday. I'm guessing that was a bad day for him. My thoughts are; I pay taxes, everybody else can too. If you try the red route just be careful, somebody might be watching. Regards.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT

When I changed my dads fuel filter on his 03 jetta TDI, (he got it at 25K miles, someone in NH owned it and crashed it) I noticed the fuel filter inside was RED!

The previous owner DID use off road diesel!

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT

I have been checked twice in the last two years in my Dodge 1-ton. DOT guys were pulling over every semi and truck. Tube down the tank, clear fuel and then away I went. I'm sure the likleyhood of getting checking in your TDI may be going up. I saw a guy filling his Jetta TDI with off road at one of the few places in town you can get it last year. Called the DOT, gave them his liscense and they said they would take care of it. They would just check his address and wait and pull him over down the street someday. I'm guessing that was a bad day for him. My thoughts are; I pay taxes, everybody else can too. If you try the red route just be careful, somebody might be watching. Regards.
You're a jerk.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver

fase,
Thats a little rude. And might I add I wish you and your family the best of luck in everything.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/

enough with the off-road desiel discussions. and the kerosene threads. and those mixed with used motor oil. steal razors from the grocery store

Muleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon

"enough with the off-road desiel discussions. and the kerosene threads. and those mixed with used motor oil. steal razors from the grocery store"

Agreed. My point is that people that keep asking about red fuel on this forum must be weighing the risks of "will I get caught, won't I get caught"? Just boils down to not paying your taxes in my opinion. (Heck maybe those folks should just syphon fuel out of other vehicles while their at it, then you don't have to pay tax or for the fuel) Again, while your odds of getting pulled over and checked randomly are pretty slim, people that fill in public places have other ways of getting caught, mainly people like me(some may choose to call me names, but frankly I like to think of myself as a honest, law abiding citizen who likes to live in a place with other law abidng citizens.) Most people I know would turn you in a heartbeat. Regards

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI

Part of the population on here may be asking about red fuel b/c they are so close to the poverty line in our "Booming Bush Economy" that they may not be able to AFFORD anything else, and still be able to feed their families. When we can see stories of the oil refineries posting 200% profits and capitalizing on the natural disasters to make even MORE profits... While at the same time getting tax BREAKS from our Oil Friendly Bush White House... I don't need to hear the high-and-mighty smugness from people who DON'T KNOW what others are going through.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Ya know what? I have asked about red fuel too. Maybe I have even run it in my car, maybe not. It's not your place to decide if I am right or wrong. If a cop sees me, then that is him doing his job. Mr "living with other law abiding citizens" probably doesn't have a CLUE about the possibile backgrounds of the people he lives with. Go look at your state's Law Enforcement website, and I'm sure you will be SHOCKED by the number and nearness of people with sex-related crimes. (They have to be listed, and report where they live)
Personally, if I was one of these, I would be able to identify you easily, b/c you would be the jerk sitting outside my house waiting to catch me doing something YOU decided was "improper" and report it, just to satisfy your own need for attention.

Live and let live. If the COPS decide something is wrong, due to a complaint by the VICTIM, then that is a crime. If you are not the victim, you are not involved, so shut the he11 up.

--Jim

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS

...Live and let live. If the COPS decide something is wrong, due to a complaint by the VICTIM, then that is a crime. If you are not the victim, you are not involved, so shut the he11 up.

--Jim
If your not paying your fair share of taxes then we are all victims of your theft of our tax dollars. For every little bit you skimp on paying taxes eveyone else has to make up the difference.

However I do not police the off-road pump and I believe it is up to your internal moral compass to decide what is right or wrong. If you want to cheat, lie, steal and generally live outside the citizenship of the country then feel free, just don't come whining to me when the meals in jail are not to your liking.

If you don't like the laws then work with your government to change them.

vvk

TDI
2006 GLS Indigo Blue

I saw a guy filling his Jetta TDI with off road at one of the few places in town you can get it last year. Called the DOT, gave them his liscense and they said they would take care of it.
Only in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.