Eurotrash Motorsports - Audi A4 OPRC / Targa TDi

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
winter's almost here so it's time for development...

the BEW ended up looking like this with a single He221 charger...

lots of room...

so what if we added another one?

maybe using:

this time around I`m working with a BRM baseline and R783 nozzles

the turbo choices are:

Primary:
Hx30w, H1C, H1E, Hx35w, Hx40w, He351cw, Hx50, Hx55w, He551cw

Secondary:
Stock, BV43, He200wg

time to do some math...

Last edited:

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
started working on the engine...

the plan is BRM engine and ECU, BHW harness, stock bottom end, ported head, He221w (5.5cm housing), R783 nozzles, 4 bar MAP, Valeo SMWF clutch

5.5 He221 is actually quite responsive on this engine so it's a decent start...while this engine is being built for the B5 rally car, I expect it will make its way into my W8 wagon sooner or later...

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
BRM's apart and ready for rebuilding...

to do:

gaskets/seats all around
port head (if I ever find a vendor that's not too busy for more business)
swap into W8 wagon
swap W8 engine into A4...

I think this chassis is just not meant to be diesel...

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
played a bit with the Holsets...

Lesson learned for today: 2.0T accessory bracket is a good fit on the BRM block so you may not need the EU bracket if swapping into a B7...I`ll make sure everything lines up...

I'm not sure if the engine is going in the B5 or the W8 yet so I`m also playing with a compound setup if it makes its way into the B5...the Hx40 is obviously too big for this but it works for sizing purposes
there's not much space in the engine bay - it's mostly very tight around the exhaust side of the turbos...

a few options:

the battery tray would be a good location for the LP turbo...the battery is in the trunk in the race car anyways

this will be tight with the engine bracket and frame...the two of them side by side would work but the piping will be tough...I`ll try to source a manifold that puts the HP turbo underneath and leaves more room for the LP turbo up top

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
i would love to come up, and if it was a month later I think I could, but that is probably going to be too early for me to be ready to run my car on a dyno. Hoping to be trying my first street driving right around that time.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
box of goodies :) head's going over for cleanup locally next week...I wanted to send it to a site vendor for a nice porting job but it seems everybody is way too busy

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
did some weight reduction yesterday...

I think Audi built this car for racing purposes...it comes apart real nice :)

now let's play a game I like to call what is this and what does it do...more importantly what is it doing in my future engine's oil pan?

talking with Demon Diesel - he's worried the crank sensor might cause issues if I try to run the BRM using a BEW/BHW or BPW ECU...I think I'll use the B5 as a test bed to make sure the engine runs well before transferring over to the W8

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Though EDC16, the BRM ECU is substantially different that the BHW. I think you may run into issues with trying to use a BHW harness and BRM ECU. Like your buddy said, BRM crank angle sensor is way different too.

The last photo is showing a broken cam follower top. Engine had a serious cam failure at some point.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
hmmm this doesn't sound good...the head looks ok but I`ll take it apart today to confirm...

The possible combinations for driving this engine right now are:

B5 swap - BHW harness, BHW/BEW/BRM ECU
W8 swap - BHW harness, BHW/BEW/BRM ECU
B7 swap - BPW harness, BPW ECU

the W8 and B7 would have to be daily driven so the ECU would have to interface with the car with zero CELs...the B5 is a little more open ended so we'll see if we can make that BRM work

although the crank sensor is different I'd be hard pressed to imagine they dractically changed the signal characteristics but that's not hard to figure out...the BRM has no provisions for fitting a legacy crank sensor though...

the other swap I started considering is a B6 passat 2.0T 6spd...I haven't taken one apart yet but the engine position is the same as the MK5 so it may be a fairly straight forward setup using all BRM hardware...the PD engine codes I can track down for this one are BKC/BXE/BLS (1.9) and BMA/BMP (2.0) - any info on these?

EDIT: BKC seems to be the same as the BRM - same crank sensor etc. and it looks like they use the same engine harness across...I suppose I could try and located a blown B6 to play with - they seem to be a dime a dozen

Last edited:

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
took the head apart...short of a worn cam I didn't notice any significant failures

off to get it cleaned up and get new seals on the valves...I`ll have to pickup a new cam kit for it

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
allright - it looks like the question needs to be asked...

new BRM cam or BEW cam in the BRM head? as far as research shows I can use the BEW cam in the BRM but will lose some torque? the lifters, bearings and injectors seem to be interchangeable and the costs are relatively similar between the two...

alternatively - I also have a BEW head I can use instead but it has the split in the intake manifold that I`m not too happy with...

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
cleaned up nice...

I think I`m leaning towards a BEW cam for this...next decision will be the injectors

Fiodor

TDI
alh
engine's back nice and clean...there were some confusion around some parts and naturally delays but hoping to have everything back together by the end of the week...

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...

Hello. where the head?

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
started fitting the engine and turbos...

the stock engine mount bracket won't work with this location for the HP turbo...it's either a custom mount here or move the turbo

plenty of room for the LP exhaust...

kinda eyeing the battery tray for the LP turbo though...it will free up quite a bit of space on the side...