European CR140 straight bolt on?

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
Hi,

Question, as starting to research turbo replacement/upgrade. Originally, was just going to do the CR170, swap but wanted something a bit more. Speaking with UK Turbo builder and so he has cr140 hybrid turbo, that is direct bolt on. I know the cr170 won’t bolt up without changing the inlet pipe. Is it safe to assume European CR140 turbo would be direct bolt on to N.American MK6 TDI?

Thanks,

Ron

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The stock turbo in NA has a fitting that attaches to the inlet side of the turbo that allows it to attach to the stock airbox to inlet pipe and has a port for the low pressure EGR. As long as the hybrid turbo has the right casting to allow attaching that fitting, it should work.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The inlet pipe is cheap. The BV43a(cr140) is a lower quality turbo than the BV43b(cr170). Hybrid turbos can be a crap shoot. You may have either a round port or oval port cr140 depending on which model you have. NA market Passats have oval ports, the rest(in NA) are round port. You need to match port shape with whatever turbo you get.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's not the inlet pipe that causes the issue. You need to use the flange if you want to continue to have a functioning low perssure EGR. If you swap out the inlet and lose that connection you have to tune the car to write out the EGR, and perhaps delete it (not sure about that). Either way it's no longer plug-and-play.

HIs signature says he has a Golf.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's right, I forgot about the low pressure egr flange not existing on the cr170 inlet pipe. The important thing is to be sure the turbo manifold has the round ports.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help, and so CR170 could only be used, without EGR I’m assuming? And
I’m going to delete/tune out the EGR, so I’m assuming I’m still good with either CR140 or CR170 hybrid. Turbo builder mentioned the CR140 hybrid is the same internals used for his CR170 hybrid. So, would it be suggested to just ask for the CR140 Hybrid turbo?

And, yes I need round port manifold for Golf CJAA, which does come with the turbo.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're going to delete both high and low pressure egr and dpf, I'd go with the bv43b/cr170 hybrid and inlet pipe.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Thanks for the help, and so CR170 could only be used, without EGR I’m assuming? And
I’m going to delete/tune out the EGR, so I’m assuming I’m still good with either CR140 or CR170 hybrid. Turbo builder mentioned the CR140 hybrid is the same internals used for his CR170 hybrid. So, would it be suggested to just ask for the CR140 Hybrid turbo?

And, yes I need round port manifold for Golf CJAA, which does come with the turbo.
oh yes, get the CR140 Hybrid. I have one and love it. put about almost 80k miles on it for almost 2 years, no issues. she scoots very hard. it should come with billet 52mm impeller? if so, I know who you are speaking of. :)

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
oh yes, get the CR140 Hybrid. I have one and love it. put about almost 80k miles on it for almost 2 years, no issues. she scoots very hard. it should come with billet 52mm impeller? if so, I know who you are speaking of. :)
Awesome! thanks for the positive feedback and Assuming you had to delete the DPF? Where did you get yours CR140 hybrid from? Was it XMan turbos? And do you know if EGR cooler would have to be removed, if going with CR170, or other upgraded turbo, or can I just get away with the block off plates?

Thanks,

Ron

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Xman turbos indeed. His turbo dont have EGR hole, thankfully. So yeah, you can have EGR block off plates and pretty much good to go. Yep remove EGR cooler. What exhaust did you get or looking at? I have rawtek on my cjaa JSW. My gf’s 2015 Passat with CVCA has darkside exhaust and it's meh on the fitting. Rawtek is way better with mounting design and such. Fits like a glove.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Xman turbos indeed. His turbo dont have EGR hole, thankfully. So yeah, you can have EGR block off plates and pretty much good to go. Yep remove EGR cooler. What exhaust did you get or looking at? I have rawtek on my cjaa JSW. My gf’s 2015 Passat with CVCA has darkside exhaust and it's meh on the fitting. Rawtek is way better with mounting design and such. Fits like a glove.
Cool, I didn’t see Cr140 hybrid on XMan site but maybe I’ll message him as was sourcing hybrid turbo from another fella in the UK.

Thanks for the feedback and planning on getting the Diesel DNA (out in BC) downpipe. Question, is there specific coolant hose I can buy, as I believe I have remove from EGR cooler and redo-connect to the heater core? Not sure I can use the same hose as I think there is some bends along the way?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
hmmmmmm yes they have it listed, this is what I have now. I put about 80k miles on this turbo and zero issues, zero hiccups. scoots flawlessly.

as for the EGR question, this is best answered by looking at the instruction. this applies to all 2009-14 4 cyc TDI's like mine and yours, this is made by Rawtek exhaust. This greatly helped my TDI install a breeze.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
hmmmmmm yes they have it listed, this is what I have now. I put about 80k miles on this turbo and zero issues, zero hiccups. scoots flawlessly.

as for the EGR question, this is best answered by looking at the instruction. this applies to all 2009-14 4 cyc TDI's like mine and yours, this is made by Rawtek exhaust. This greatly helped my TDI install a breeze.

Thanks I don't know why I couldn't find CR140 hybrid. And, did you need the inlet pipe or was it direct bolt on? Actually, I see it’s direct bolt on if I choose CR140 hybrid turbo. And, do they supply the turbo and intake manifold? I got a turbo builder that provided intake manifold and turbo. But I don’t believe they is needed, as I’m assuming I can just bolt this turbo up to my stock manifold.

And, thanks for the Rawtek instructions, as I see they remove the entire EGR cooler out of the car.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
You are welcome.

yes I bought the turbo intake pipe and elbow. manifold comes with the turbo.

Reactions: Yai