Euro import insurance

daught

TDI
None
I been weighting my options to import an European 98-00 A4 TDI Quattro. I can't seem to find insurance for it. Every ins company denies insuring a diesel A4, since it's not listed. Only option seems to be facility ins like JDM imports. That expensive. I saw some members here imported tdi A4s. What did you do for insurance?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I bet this is all because of the RHD Japannese cars. Insurance companies don't want to insure them.anymore andnI think they made this a blanket policy for all vehicles that I not available in North America.

daught

TDI
None
You could try something like this http://www.lant-ins.ca/collector.php Not sure if they insure daily drivers in any way though.
No go, they require proof of another insurance policy for my daily driver. Maybe my motorcycle suffices? I will contact them.

I got in touch with TDIMeister... waiting.

The insurance part is scary. It would really suck to bring a car all the way here and be unable to insure it.

Another option is importing the 1.9TDI passat which came as a 4motion. The ins companies know the 1.9T Passat. I don't think they would care/know about the 4motion.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
No go, they require proof of another insurance policy for my daily driver. Maybe my motorcycle suffices? I will contact them.
I got in touch with TDIMeister... waiting.
The insurance part is scary. It would really suck to bring a car all the way here and be unable to insure it.
Another option is importing the 1.9TDI passat which came as a 4motion. The ins companies know the 1.9T Passat. I don't think they would care/know about the 4motion.
Good to see you on the forum Paul! Hopefully you can figure things out and then I droll over that quattro A4 tdi :D

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I would checkmif they are OK with a Passat too. Nowdays, they type in the VIN to get anquote. Their system might not like the Euro VIN.

daught

TDI
None
Good to see you on the forum Paul! Hopefully you can figure things out and then I droll over that quattro A4 tdi :D
I was going through this forum and I really like it. Reminds me of my Supra days, where the forums were also really knowledgeable and lots community developments were made. The audi forums I tried seemed to be more of a detailing and "what rims" community :p

I would checkmif they are OK with a Passat too. Nowdays, they type in the VIN to get anquote. Their system might not like the Euro VIN.
TD said they are OK with euro imports as long as they were brought here too. TDI passat would check out. I will ask my euro connection to get me an euro VIN to make sure.

daught

TDI
None
Aviva $1048 a year for an A4. They will ensure any LEFT hand drive car that is unlisted based on declared value. Thats to Steve at Austen & Noble for looking in to it for me. Looks like I'll have the awesomest ski base camp.

Now... I am curious what's up with the 2.5 V6 TDI? Sure it's more powerful, but the engine never came to NA. I figured the 1.9 is a safer choice since it was imported to NA. How much does the 2.5 have in common with the 1.9, and is it a sensible choice for cross continent driving?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Aviva $1048 a year for an A4. They will ensure any LEFT hand drive car that is unlisted based on declared value. Thats to Steve at Austen & Noble for looking in to it for me. Looks like I'll have the awesomest ski base camp.
Nice! Looks like I have an option when I move back to Ontario. :)
Now... I am curious what's up with the 2.5 V6 TDI? Sure it's more powerful, but the engine never came to NA. I figured the 1.9 is a safer choice since it was imported to NA. How much does the 2.5 have in common with the 1.9, and is it a sensible choice for cross continent driving?
The 2.5 has absolutely NOTHING in common with the 1.9. Different injection pump, different (and incompatible) injectors, pistons, rods, etc. Maintenance parts like TB kits are all different (and not available here). The only plus side is you have a 6-speed manual option whereas the 4-cylinders only have 5-speeds. 1999/2000 is a transition year to a newer 2.5 engine code and the option of a 180 HP version (must have). The older AFB/AKN (indeed, any 2.5 with "A" as the first letter) must be avoided at all costs as they were known for eating camshafts.

Honestly, my heart wanted a V6 too when I was shopping. But advice from a trusted German friend and Audi enthusiast ruled and it was a great decision to stick with the tried-and-true AFN. It was a labour of love to get my car over and there are so many things I'd like to do with it. Again, that heart/head tug-of-war is playing and while I have a reliable car that I love so much, I'm not naive of its value so I'm torn whether to keep it or sell. It's right now getting OEM S4 Avant shocks/springs, brand new suspension bushings/links all around and Neuspeed front/rear sway bars.

Last edited:

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Any issues with the European cars and emissions testing? It's OBDII in Ontario now rather than visual. Doubt that the stock European programming would mess with the emissions computer, though (just needs to check EGR, idle, VIN etc).

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
If it's not right hand drive, and modified, it should be available. Less than 25 years, and right hand drive, you are in facility land.....my son has been down that road recently. Companies would rather fill out the paperwork on something domestic, and it seems to depend on whom you speak with

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Any issues with the European cars and emissions testing? It's OBDII in Ontario now rather than visual. Doubt that the stock European programming would mess with the emissions computer, though (just needs to check EGR, idle, VIN etc).

Many euro ecu's do not have readiness in them. That is an issue that must be considered, but in most cases, a suitable ecu can be sourced and used, maybe needing a retune/immo delete.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Regarding OBD readiness, not having/supporting readiness is not the same as failing it. VCDS will simply return N/A instead of FAIL. This is not grounds for failing Drive Clean. VW TDIs through at least MY1997 (I owned a 97 Passat TDI before) did not have OBD readiness, as also corroborated here, even though MY97 is classified as being OBDII-compliant <shrug>. At any rate, take your car to an inspection station that knows at least something about testing Diesels. I don't have VCDS but have had it plugged-in to see what it says concerning readiness. I'd be happy to let my car be a guinea pig and do a scan for the sake of information by posting screenshots if arrangements can be made to meet in order to perform the scan.

I don't think it's anything about which to worry. All the recent spade of imports showing up in the market must be passing Drive Clean somehow...

daught

TDI
None
Thanks for posting that. Too bad it's a v6.

Only cars from 98 and later require OBD scan. A 97 diesel would be a visual inspection.

daught

TDI
None
Six speed 1.9 Passat? http://tinyurl.com/qy29p4n Did the passats come with six speed or is that one a swap? To bad it's not that good looking.

Interesting that there seems to be 10x more passats than A4s.

ASI quoted me $920 for shipping from emden to halifax :)

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
HA nice, I was quoted USD$1289 and ended paying even more because my car had to sit parked on the port for 6 weeks as it was too new to be imported.

daught

TDI
None
I talked to driveclean. If the vehicle is imported it can be classified as a "grey market". It has to satisfy the 1980 emission requirements which is not to smoke more than 15 seconds. I have to find from service ontario if classifying my vehicle as a "grey market" changes anything in ownership classification. I don't want it to bite me insurance wise.

I also have to option to try to do the regular obd test if the car is 1998 or newer. The above is just a last resort. If the car is 1997 or older you just have to do the visual test. I am pleased with ontario for once. They thought of import scenario.