Engine Revs out High. Fluid sprayed all over engine bay. Smoke coming from EGR area.

Mikeandike757

TDI
02 Jetta
I have a 2002 Jetta that I picked out of a co workers garage for free (I have no prior VW experience). He told me it ran when he put it away but was reluctant to start when I got it home. Was able to get it running but am having the issues listed in the subject line. I haven’t been able to do anything to the car yet other than change the injectors that were cracked and corroded, and replace the oil dipstick that was cracked off at the bottom. I’m very new to this community and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, you're still leaving a lot out.

So.... the coolant is leaking. Between you and the entire internet, only one person has eyes on that. I can't tell you what is leaking no more than you could tell me what color my toolbox is.

The ENGINE revs "high" due to the transmission (I assume this is an automatic?) staying in what you think is too low of a gear for too long? Under load or ????

Mikeandike757

TDI
02 Jetta
Yeah, you're still leaving a lot out.

So.... the coolant is leaking. Between you and the entire internet, only one person has eyes on that. I can't tell you what is leaking no more than you could tell me what color my toolbox is.

The ENGINE revs "high" due to the transmission (I assume this is an automatic?) staying in what you think is too low of a gear for too long? Under load or ????
In regards to the transmission question, yes. It is an automatic, and it stays in a low gear for too long before shifting while under load.

As for the fluid, I’ve recently discovered that the injection pump is leaking from the connection on the side closest to the bumper. Could that be what’s spraying eveywhere?

Maybe the smoke coming from the EGR area could be a sign that it’s clogged? If so, anyway that could affect the injection pump?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yup, atf is pretty much always red with a sweetish smell, unless it's burnt, in which case it's dark brown/black and smells truly awful. Could be power steering fluid or brake fluid. Or dilute antifreeze. Or maybe diesel, but you must be familiar with that scent. Definitely check the master cylinder fluid level. Finding out you have no brakes generally isn't fun.

Mikeandike757

TDI
02 Jetta
**UPDATE:
Tracked the issue back to a leak coming from the injection pump. Seals have been replaced, system bled, engine runs without spraying fluid (diesel) everywhere.

I’m now experiencing an issue where all my coolant disappears and white smoke pours from behind the motor.

I topped off my engine oil and coolant before testing the motor for leaking fluids today and came back from a short drive to find all my coolant was gone, and smoke was coming from behind the engine and out of the oil full cap area.

Still having issues with delayed shifting when accelerating and also discovered my radiator fans wouldn’t come on unless I turned the AC on.

Not sure where to start with these issues. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like a blown head gasket or cracked block. Looks for leaks under the vehicle.